Agape

Taoist meditation, any differences to other meditation practices?

I've taken up the Zen idea of 'just sitting' once again as I like the direct straight to the point nature of this practice. No messing. Thing with Tai chi is it's good and all, long term, and I shall continue this practice but I will not get spiritual benefits for (at least) months to a year I imagine. With the 'just sitting' practice my gains are immediate.

I know that Zen was influenced alot by Taoism, probs why I gravitated to it more than other forms of Buddhism, I am just interested to know if there any differences between the meditation of different traditions. Of course all of them you are just sitting on your ass (just speaking of the classical meditation) but what is the intent in Taoism?

It seems to be the same as the others from my superficial readings...are there any real differences profound or minor?

I've taken up the Zen idea of 'just sitting' once again as I like the direct straight to the point nature of this practice. No messing. Thing with Tai chi is it's good and all, long term, and I shall continue this practice but I will not get spiritual benefits for (at least) months to a year I imagine. With the 'just sitting' practice my gains are immediate.

I know that Zen was influenced alot by Taoism, probs why I gravitated to it more than other forms of Buddhism, I am just interested to know if there any differences between the meditation of different traditions. Of course all of them you are just sitting on your ass (just speaking of the classical meditation) but what is the intent in Taoism?

It seems to be the same as the others from my superficial readings...are there any real differences profound or minor?

I have posted this before but not in this topic.

Japanese researchers did a study with Zen Masters and Internal Qigong Masters. The brain waves of each group was monitored.

The conclusion of the study was:

Zen and qigong produced calmness.

Only the qigong guys activated the creative centers of the brain.

I think it would depend if it were an active or passive meditation. The meditative qigong form I practice, Stillness-Movement, stills the brainwaves down but is energetically active so the body moves with the energy.

As far as I'm aware, qigong is not solely a Daoist practice. I believe it can be found in a number of martial arts - though I am by no means an expert on the matter.

Having, like many here, studied a variety of spiritual practices it is possible to categorise meditations into the following sections:

- Breathing techniques

- Repetition of mantras

- Visualisations

- Concentration on an object, or any number of objects for that matter

- Contemplation

- Mindfulness (seperate from concentration?)

Of course, many practices fall into a multitude of these sections. Probably missed a few out too... Left out stillness because, well, as far as I've been able to tell one is simply being mindful of being still.

Your wording was most crucial. What is the intent (in Daoism)? Intellectually speaking it is arguably the intent that differs from tradition to tradition and their corresponding practices. This is why it is important to know what it is you are seeking next. Once you know this, you can find the practices that fit best.

Follow your heart - that's all that's worked for me, try it if you fancy :)

Yours humbly,

James

Daoist meditation uses a series of tasks or exercises which enhance the development of the "mind of intent" as my teacher calls it. It's quite a bit different than Zen sitting. It is a curriculum of progressively more challenging stages of development of this skill. This skill can then be used in a number of different ways. It's very useful in martial arts. It is associated with creativity. It is used to cultivate spiritual development. It also results in a connection with reality that is similar to that experienced in Zen sitting. In fact, some of the practice is just about identical to Zen sitting but that is only a small part of the curriculum that I study.

Are you interested in learning the Taoism practise ?

'Are you interested in learning the Taoism practice ?'

Definitely, that's why I joined up here. There seems to be alot less resources on the Internet regarding the study practices of Taoism? Perhaps that is a good thing as it's about experiencing nature rather than reading some stuffy doctrine? I would only be speculating there though. I have certainly had my fill of strict regimented practice only because I find it takes me back into the mind rather than experience, which takes me away from my goal of appreciating and living in the now.

I currently learn Lee Style Tai Chi though I only just began. I always have lots of questions for my teacher and he's happy to answer but I do have alot more and he's not always around to answer my beckoned call.

Okay, so I am seeing that you are looking for "TAOISM" practise right?

In Taoism, we do not just sit and meditate (as is sit and wait). We do meditation with a reason and just like how you do practise for kungfu for a reason. Ex. you stretch your legs and do horse stance for empower your stance and building up internal energy etc,. So we do things for a reason. Once you achieved that, then you move on to the next practise. Therefore, there is no one-method-for-the-whole-life.

For that reason, you do need to learn under a master and a lineage that teach you the method in a right order with many other knowledges. Reading these doctrine is very little in Taoism study. You can refer to my post about what Taoism is about in the whole system, then you will know.

If you are interested in learning, I am a taoism master who host a temple in Canada. You can do online distance enrollment and learnings from the lineage. If you want to see how others who learned from me in this forum, you can look into Rodgerj's post, he just learned less than a week. But you can see how he have experienced in this basic practise he have learned.

Mak Tin Si

'Are you interested in learning the Taoism practice ?'

Definitely, that's why I joined up here. There seems to be alot less resources on the Internet regarding the study practices of Taoism? Perhaps that is a good thing as it's about experiencing nature rather than reading some stuffy doctrine? I would only be speculating there though. I have certainly had my fill of strict regimented practice only because I find it takes me back into the mind rather than experience, which takes me away from my goal of appreciating and living in the now.

I currently learn Lee Style Tai Chi though I only just began. I always have lots of questions for my teacher and he's happy to answer but I do have alot more and he's not always around to answer my beckoned call.