Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer64

The Middle Way - what does it mean to you?

I see so much thinking that indicates "one or the other"- or maybe one but not the other - sort of mindsets around me. Do we as Taoist practitioners (or even wannabes)- have a middle way to live indeed or is it only a goal?

Why are so many practices so extreme?

Does the much touted search for enlightenment have an element of open-mindedness inherent to it?

Does finding the "Middle Way" have applications for our everyday living, even if we choose other paths of conduct?

Is it living in the moment and making our choices each moment to find that "true path" each human heart alone may calculate and articulate?

What say youz bums?

I'm interested in what Taoism's basic premises have in our behaviors ...

love to all-PDG

I see so much thinking that indicates "one or the other"- or maybe one but not the other - sort of mindsets around me. Do we as Taoist practitioners (or even wannabes)- have a middle way to live indeed or is it only a goal?

Why are so many practices so extreme?

Does the much touted search for enlightenment have an element of open-mindedness inherent to it?

Does finding the "Middle Way" have applications for our everyday living, even if we choose other paths of conduct?

Is it living in the moment and making our choices each moment to find that "true path" each human heart alone may calculate and articulate?

What say youz bums?

I'm interested in what Taoism's basic premises have in our behaviors ...

love to all-PDG

The path of the Golden Mean is something that I have found very beneficial to apply to lifestyle.

An example: If you like beer, there is nothing wrong with drinking one with supper. If you like beer but deny yourself that one at supper then you may not be following the middle path; did you deny yourself something you wanted for an extreme reason (not counting driving)? If you drank a 12-pack every evening because you liked to you would not be following the middle path, for you would be doing something extreme that potentially (most probably) will hurt yourself and others.

The concept of the Middle Way is very Buddhist (&wise), aligning with the Budda's precepts. It seems to me Taoists keep there focus on nature and seek to emulate her. Nature shifts, changes, cycles. It hits extremes and bounces back to norms.

Michael

The Middle Way was discovered by Guatama Buddha because he considered the extreme practices of ascetics detrimental to overall development. He wanted to keep the body healthy so that the spirit could advance. It isn't exactly a "Middle Way" since he probably was able to bring more practitioners to arhat status than anyone else in human history.

"Maha" means Great and "yana" means Vehicle.

Interesting points made so far- Buddhist takes on the middle way interest me too, (but I generally do not follow Buddhist thinking in many instances. I do not wish to escape any part of life, nor do I qualify suffering as something to be avoided. I see suffering as an instrument of teaching, not to be avoided... )

The Taoist search for harmony between opposites is more to the point of what I seek and try to impart here...That nature has extremes is a given and is the basis for the very human effort to control and master nature- it scares us so often, like Catrina, and Tsunamis -But, for me it is the shock of nature that is arrousing and instigates change. Pain and terror can be mastered if we keep a level headed (centered) approach to those turmoils...

Death is inevitable and may be welcomed at any moment if one has centered themselves in calm acceptance of nature's ways...This does not preclude us from fighting for one's life, family, beliefs or what else may matter to us beyond personal safety...

For me it is finding out what actually does matter to me in this existance that creates character and a moral center...Any practice that leads me to that center has merit...and gives meaning.

Sign in to follow this