Sign in to follow this  
mwight

Must See Video BBC: Physicist Talks About The Multiverse

Thanks, mwight

Pure joy.

I just finished reading Neal Stephenson's Anathem, there are some interesting ideas on multiple cosmi as well.

I think this is from 2005. That's when his book that he is basically giving a synopsis of came out.

Kaku's book Hyperspace was how I discovered the discipline of pure mathematics, which I have spent the past 10 years studying. So I am in his debt.

But...

Data from WMAP DOES NOT prove the multiverse theory. To say so is incredible hubris. It doesn't even suggest it, unless you are groping for something to fit your theory. But that still doesn't get anywhere near proof. Perhaps that is because there is no complete and consistent mathematical model that you can extract numerical predictions from contain the multiverse idea to prove in the first place! It is painful for me to hear such things.

This is all speculative. He repeatedly says, "Some of us believe...". This is a bunch of guys extrapolating highly speculative models to the very little they can infer about the depths of space-time from a little data collected from our out of the way dust speck of a solar system interpreted through other speculative (though less so) models. And the result is they are coming up with philosophical/mystical ideas that people have been bouncing around for millennia and calling it revolutionary. For example, in the cosmological model of the Bhagavata Purana, there are countless independent universes coming from the body of Maha-Vishnu, each one with countless inhabited planets.

Needless to say, I am not pleased with the state of modern cosmology and how it is passed off as science. The interviewer's last question is very pertinent, and Mr. Kaku's response completely sidesteps the issue for the above reasons.

But seriously, sorry if I come off as grumpy. :D:lol::D

Edited by Creation

Creation,

As a mathematician, have you looked into Dr. David Deutsch's research?

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19526223.700

"David Deutsch at the University of Oxford and colleagues have shown that key equations of quantum mechanics arise from the mathematics of parallel universes. "This work will go down as one of the most important developments in the history of science," says Andy Albrecht, a physicist at the University of California at Davis. In one parallel universe, at least, it will - whether it does in our one remains to be seen."

I've got the whole article up in my personal practice section here's a link if your interested.

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=76431

Edited by mwight

Sign in to follow this