Sign in to follow this  
Pietro

Pomaia Buddhist monastery in flame

One of the greatest Buddhist monastery in the west, the one from Pomaia, in Italy, was burned. No human beings was harmed, but there were more than a million dollar damages, and, more importantly, some buddhist scripturs, some in single copy, were destroyed. Also the great meditation room was destroyed, and the fire reached the roof.

The news touches me personally as I have been in that monastery a few times, and my mother have actually gone there for some workshops in the past.

20081226_monastero.jpg

The abbot has announced that they will ask for some economic help.

(But I ignore what to do if you want to help, I think eventually the request will reach their website)

One of the greatest Buddhist monastery in the west, the one from Pomaia, in Italy, was burned. No human beings was harmed, but there were more than a million dollar damages, and, more importantly, some buddhist scripturs, some in single copy, were destroyed. Also the great meditation room was destroyed, and the fire reached the roof.

The news touches me personally as I have been in that monastery a few times, and my mother have actually gone there for some workshops in the past.

20081226_monastero.jpg

The abbot has announced that they will ask for some economic help.

(But I ignore what to do if you want to help, I think eventually the request will reach their website)

That's horrible. Which scriptures were destroyed? And does anyone know the source of the fire?

That's horrible. Which scriptures were destroyed? And does anyone know the source of the fire?

They think it was caused by a n electrical shortcircuit.

Candles were off limits for security reasons where the flame started.

But I ginore what scriptures were lost.

Thanks for your interest,

Pietro

Thats really rough.

Especially considering that it was a place of Sanctuary for you.

Hopefully it will be rebuilt.

The pictures at the website you posted are really lovely.

When things get back to normal, I hope that tender bruise you are unfortunetly feeling will disappear, and you'll feel right as rain.

Take care.

Sign in to follow this