h.uriahr

Cave meditation and Faraday Cages

So it seems as though alot of the "tales" concerning qi masters (qi=qigong, naigong, etc etc) and hermits all started off or ended up meditating in caves...I ran into a page about Faraday Cages and was wondering if anyone thought maybe the cave would act as one if the metal content was right? Or am I completely off the trail here? Or is there no trail at all? ...mommy?...

So it seems as though alot of the "tales" concerning qi masters (qi=qigong, naigong, etc etc) and hermits all started off or ended up meditating in caves...I ran into a page about Faraday Cages and was wondering if anyone thought maybe the cave would act as one if the metal content was right? Or am I completely off the trail here? Or is there no trail at all? ...mommy?...

There's a very good possibility! I think the true purpose of using caves is for solitude, but being free from outiside influences like negative electromagnetism fits right into that. I don't know for sure, but I'll certainly entertain the idea. :D You might get more input if you put this in the Taoist Discussion section. It's alot more on topic than alot of the stuff in there.

If I remember correctly a Faraday cage is an enclosure of conducting materials which shields whatever is inside from EM fields. I recall working on a building project in which the walls and roof of a large building had a copper mesh and an iron mesh so that no one could eavesdrop on the computers and other electrical equipment inside.

Applying this to a hermit in a cave, if the was conducting material in the rock, say iron oxide etc it is conceivable that it could have a shielding effect. It would mean that the occupant would receive no sky[yang] energy, but only earth[yin] energy, which is confined to Taoist practices, but over the long term would lead to lack of balance.

I have found in some caves there is a sound resonance which is of great help in amplifying body vibratios produced by mantras

Michael Winn who hits the cave scene regularly in China has written articles on the Taoist caves he's gone into, and he's done it breatharian style for short terms. He writes about getting deeply in touch with the mountain materials, resonating with it as if it were giant crystals.

His articles are in the HTUSA site article section.

Michael

My only question is why is this "Off Topic"? :huh: I meditated in an old copper mine once and it felt icky. I wont do that again.

Caves have been chosen for obvious practical reasons: protection from elements and animals. The humankind as a species has evolved living in caves in Europe in Asia.

The real question is that stone caves isolate from electromagnetic waves which is the Earth electromagnetic field and cosmic particles. That raises a question how the practitioners would receive all those energies such as Earth, Heaven, Yin, Yang, stars, Moon, and so on.

Caves have been chosen for obvious practical reasons: protection from elements and animals. The humankind as a species has evolved living in caves in Europe in Asia.

The real question is that stone caves isolate from electromagnetic waves which is the Earth electromagnetic field and cosmic particles. That raises a question how the practitioners would receive all those energies such as Earth, Heaven, Yin, Yang, stars, Moon, and so on.

How do you know that stone caves isolate from electromagnetic waves?

How do you know that stone caves isolate from electromagnetic waves?

Have you ever tried to make a cell call from a tunnel/cellar/underground? This is a long-time problem for miners, they can't communicate by air.

Have you ever tried to make a cell call from a tunnel/cellar/underground? This is a long-time problem for miners, they can't communicate by air.

I get what you're saying but an electromagnetic wave from a cellphone is only one type of wave, that doesnt mean that a cave blocks out all forms of electromagnetic waves.

My only question is why is this "Off Topic"? :huh: I meditated in an old copper mine once and it felt icky. I wont do that again.

You a fire horse meditating in a metal element environment mixed with earth. That wasn't a good idea. Make sure the cave next time is an a pure granite or limestone environment.

Is chi electromagnetism?

It's common sense, really. Go hike out in the woods one day and try to find a place to meditate.

If you try at ground level in the grass, you'll soon get swarmed with bugs. Not to mention other critters...

There are less pesky pests the higher up you go. Also, the air and water are closer to the source and cleaner.

However, with less windbreaks and more exposure to the open air, windiness increases. Gets colder too.

So, a cave up on a mountainside is a natural compromise to all those problems.

I mean, I think a cabin or shelter would serve the same effective purpose, but why build something if there's already something usable there?

Edited by vortex

It's common sense, really. Go hike out in the woods one day and try to find a place to meditate.

If you try at ground level in the grass, you'll soon get swarmed with bugs. Not to mention other critters...

There are less pesky pests the higher up you go. Also, the air and water are closer to the source and cleaner.

However, with less windbreaks and more exposure to the open air, windiness increases. Gets colder too.

So, a cave up on a mountainside is a natural compromise to all those problems.

I mean, I think a cabin or shelter would serve the same effective purpose, but why build something if there's already something usable there?

I dont think it was a shelter thing. It has to do with the energy of a cave or the higher elevation. Most of them are on mountains. If I'm not mistaken they are rather popular with the more famous immortals. I'm sure that the mountains are filled with energy and the caves are probably just an open cavity thats filled with the energy too so youre sitting in a big bowl of energy. Kinda like sitting in wheaties

Geomantic relationships are important factors to consider when seeking "the perfect spot".

Caves in gneral have many different qualities depending on their Origin.

Sally sells sea shells by the sea shore.

Edited by Spectrum

Sally sells sea shells by the sea shore. The shells sally sells by the sea shore are sea shore shells I'm sure.

Not related with Faraday cages or electromagnetism, but may be interesting:

The Cave Alchemist: Biochemical Brain Shifts And Mental Images Associated With Extended Periods Of Darkness,

Masters thesis by Sidney Brent Goodwin, O.D., M.B.A.

http://www.creativespirit.net/learners/AUC.../cp-goodwin.pdf

Edited by Rootless Traveler

phauT-oDmjI

The tour guide at Hua Shan says the main 2 reasons for mountain cave practice are:
1) Tranquility with fewer distractions
2) More concentrated qi

The ex-nongmin monk in the cave says the basics of Taoism are wuwei:
1) Quietness - no thinking in your mind
2) Effortlessness - do not do anything and remain unaffected by the outside world