h.uriahr

Earnings

A teacher is paid right? You wouldnt expect a highschool teacher to teach for free would you? I certainly dont. The same thing goes for daoist priests, church priests, ect. If you teach as a full time job then obviously it's a bit difficult to make any money if you do it for free. I dont think anyone is arguing against that, I think they're arguing against turning people away because they are too poor to pay with money. Pay for teaching though? No, pay for healing, curing, what have you. A doctor at a hospital isnt expected to treat someone without being paid for it HOWEVER, if a patient doesnt have insurance, they still get treatment. I think this is common sense for most people. Helping those in need when they have no money.

[just as a note: aquiring wealth is not out of step with the tao.]

No one said it was against anything. Turning someone down because they are poor is on you.

I agree: exceptions should be made.

Definitely. The thing that's really odd though is that Mak's Temple takes donations to run it AND for those who cant afford the "fee" for help.

From my healing and teaching experience, about 80% of the people who asked for a fee to be waived for whatever reasons were really screwed up mentally. They also have an amazing ability to disturb a class for other people.

For someone with the name "Smile", that is a cruel, hurtful, and a VERY non-compassionate attitude.

You need to sit down and re-read the Dao de Jing, VERY SLOWLY.

Let it drip into you like really good HONEY. Ummmmmmmm

What did Laozi say that his treasures were?

Do you KNOW?

One of those, you need to really dwell on, guess which one?

Peace, gossamer

From my healing and teaching experience, about 80% of the people who asked for a fee to be waived for whatever reasons were really screwed up mentally. They also have an amazing ability to disturb a class for other people.

For someone with the name "Smile", that is a cruel, hurtful, and a VERY non-compassionate attitude.

You are right. The compassionate attitude would be for me not to allow them to joint the class, so all the other people don't have to suffer through constant interruptions and irrelevant, self-absorbed questions. A teacher has to have his wisdom-eye opened to see the correct path to take. The rational mind may see it cruel and unjust but they simply can't see the Mt. Everest of karma right in front of their face.

Smile, Mak Tin Si, etc... We all have problems we need to work on. You are being very kind for pointing this out. Now that you did, time to work on your own.

A teacher is paid right? You wouldnt expect a highschool teacher to teach for free would you? I certainly dont. The same thing goes for daoist priests, church priests, ect. If you teach as a full time job then obviously it's a bit difficult to make any money if you do it for free. I dont think anyone is arguing against that, I think they're arguing against turning people away because they are too poor to pay with money. Pay for teaching though? No, pay for healing, curing, what have you. A doctor at a hospital isnt expected to treat someone without being paid for it HOWEVER, if a patient doesnt have insurance, they still get treatment. I think this is common sense for most people. Helping those in need when they have no money.

I thought this one was dead :)

I think there is a big difference between a teacher student relationship and one person helping another person. Someone that is teaching as a means to make a living has very different needs and perhaps motivation when earning money. However, one person helping another along the way out of love/respect/goodwill/generosity/etc feels more like level ground.

I have a close friend that I've known for the last 25 years or so that we have very good discussions and I've learned a great deal from his direction (not his decrees) and watching how he lives. Have I ever paid him a dime? Of course not. Has he ever asked me for a penny? Nope. Have we both gotten something invaluable out of our discussions, absolutely.

So maybe the issue is the formality of "I am low and you are great help me up" vs. "What is this 'stuff'? How am I able to know I exist? lets inquire together and see where we get to..."

Granted, we may be the blind leading the blind... but that risk is always there even with a teacher/master... accepting their words rather than doing the work yourself.

So at a minimum, we can be grateful that we can use this forum to inquire together freely about the nature of our nature.

"Beautiful" as it was said in the last remake of the 'King Kong' movie when he and the gal were watching the sunset from the mountain.

Very touching, Unconditional.

Peace, gossamer

I thought this one was dead :)

I think there is a big difference between a teacher student relationship and one person helping another person. Someone that is teaching as a means to make a living has very different needs and perhaps motivation when earning money. However, one person helping another along the way out of love/respect/goodwill/generosity/etc feels more like level ground.

I have a close friend that I've known for the last 25 years or so that we have very good discussions and I've learned a great deal from his direction (not his decrees) and watching how he lives. Have I ever paid him a dime? Of course not. Has he ever asked me for a penny? Nope. Have we both gotten something invaluable out of our discussions, absolutely.

So maybe the issue is the formality of "I am low and you are great help me up" vs. "What is this 'stuff'? How am I able to know I exist? lets inquire together and see where we get to..."

Granted, we may be the blind leading the blind... but that risk is always there even with a teacher/master... accepting their words rather than doing the work yourself.

So at a minimum, we can be grateful that we can use this forum to inquire together freely about the nature of our nature.

One of the most effective ways I've seen was at a small training seminar where this was happening. The sensei actually stopped his presentation (after being interrupted several times by this person), walked over to where the person was, stood there and engaged him in a conversation. What that did was focus a bright spotlight on that guy so intensely that he couldn't handle it. After a few minutes, sensei went back up and continued his speech, the energy of the others against that one guy for causing the disruption was palpable, and he was pretty quiet through the rest of the training. LOL Very Aikido. rolleyes.gif

:lol: Awesome.