Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

old time strongmen

All time favorate strong man. Joseph Greenstein the Mighty Atom. A giant in strength internal and external.

Michael

The mighty atom was quite the dude. He swears that he has been shot point blank between the eyes by a large caliber handgun and blocked the bullet with his chi. I forget the caliber, but it's quite a tale. Defective bullet perhaps? More surprisingly, he said he never cheated on his wife despite being surrounded by horny showgirls his whole life. I can't decided whether that's tragic or honorable or simply part of his energy cultivation theory.

-Yoda

Cool! Tell me more about the Mighty Atom! Has anyone read his book? Scott refers to it as his favorite book of all time I believe. Really should pick it up one of these days.

If I can find it, I'll send it your way.  -Y

6595[/snapback]

That'd be great! Thanks Yoda.

In a world that needs heroes, Joseph Greenstein is certainly one of mine. His story told by Joe Hyams in 'The Mighty Atom, biography of a Super human" (republished as "Spiritual Journey of Joseph Greenstein) is inspirational. Its so amazing that I can understand how people might think its made up.

Joe was born poor, in shetyl. The doctor who delivered him told his mom he'd probably die soon. He lived, but was poor and unhealthy. Even poorer after his Dad died while he was young.

With little to live for he ran away and joined the circus and was adopted by a wrestling performer Yolanka. Yolanka was vegetarian and taught him eastern breathing techniques and well wrestling and philosophy. They traveled w/ the circus and even met the famous Indian wrestler Gama. Nice quote.

Almost fairy tale like he returns a young and strong to his village. Sees a kosak murder an elder and kills him and is forced to flee town and young bride. Comes to America. Various jobs. One lands him in Japan where he learns Jujuitsu in the 19 teens.

Wife comes over. Lots of kids. Develops into great wrestler and has uncanny strength which he sees as more inner power then just muscular. He's invited to vaudville as strong man. Bends horse shoes w/ ease. Twists iron poles into pretzels. He slams spikes through wood. the day Hoover is elected he is so disturbed he slams one down, wrong side up, and it goes through his palm. He shrugs it off and heals quickly.

There is more in that vein. He was Jack Lalanne even before Jack Lalanne and way before Charles Atlas. His health, philosophy and spiriitual ideas were all cutting edge, even for now.

Do I believe the book. Yes. The author gives proofs, photos and posters. There is collaboration from those who knew and saw him. Joe himself seems too humble to make so much up. He's simply not portrayed as self aggrandizing.

He was performing in the early 70's. Ripping horse shoes and performing amazing feats of strength in his early 80's. Do I believe he took on American Nazi's thugs single handedly in the late 30's. Yes. and as soon I have the last couple of bugs worked out on my time machine, I'll check for sure.

Peace

Michael

Sign in to follow this