Sign in to follow this  
cricketty-rise

musical tastes

Stuff that's infused with spontaneity and spirit. Whatever that is. Something that moves me and brings me in touch with my personal soul...which is full of different things.

I listen to all kinds. Hip hop, hard rock, pop, punk, soul, classical, noise, electronica...anything that's good...but I'm also picky.

My favorite albums are:

Deftones - Around the Fur

Tool - Aenima

Wu Tang Clan - Forever

Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire

The Jayhawks - Rainy Day Music

Blur - Think Tank (or '13')

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Lately I've been enjoying this punk band called Jawbreaker, because of the breakdowns. I also really like Damon Albarn's (Blur, Gorillaz, Good Bad and the Queen) chord changes and melodies. Eddie Vedder's "Into the Wild" soundtrack is fun. I just heard this Yo Yo Ma cd that, surprisingly, I enjoyed listening to.

Phew...

How about you, cricketty-rise?

well, there are a few artists that i really like.

the appleseed cast -- especially the album Mare Vitalis, has some amazing 'big' sounding music. they also have a lot of interesting themes in their lyrics.

cap'n jazz -- this band is definitely not for everyone, but i absolutely love them. their music is usually noodly, out of tune and full of voice cracks, but it is totally refreshing. (definitely full of spontaneity and spirit, like you said.)

islands -- the first album by this band is really great. some very catchy and lovable songs. but their second album just wasn't as good.

Edited by cricketty-rise

Sweet! I am going to check out the first two bands.

Islands used to be called The Unicorns...the only album they made under that name was so wacky! It was awesome. :lol:

I listen to a lot of Bands, but since I became a Taoist, I have been listening to happier music much more than the harder stuff. I love David Bowie, Alice Cooper, and this band Devil Doll...

Devil Doll is a gothic experimental rock group from italy/slovenia. They are really dark, but it is really brilliant music.

I also listen to Tool, theSTART, Bob Marley, Depeche Mode, The Cure, DMX, Tupac, and as awful as these two sound, Marilyn Manson and Katy Perry. Opposite ends of the spectrum, but I love them both for some reason. haha... quite a diverse set of bands, no?

I like listening to Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings and Transatlantic. Modern Prog-rock. But then I'm an Oooooooold rocker.

i like songs that kind of punch you in the face like...

ATWA by system of a down

a lot of stuff by a perfect circle

Crazy by gnralz barkley

I Was Walking w/ a Ghost by tegan and sarah

Bright Eyes

Girl Anachronism by the dresden dolls

the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

MSI

Edited by the buddha & the beast

When I was younger I listened to a lot more blues and main stream music. Nowadays I listen to more jazz.

Believe it or not, John Coltrane can take you to some interesting levels, especially with his later free form jazz but most people have to cultivate a taste for that kind of music.

I listen to a lot of Sun Ra. He is a genius. I kid you not. When I listen to Heliocentric Worlds at night and close my eyes, I feel as though my body disappears and I see a whole galexy around me. But I must warn you that you definately have to develope a taste for his music. Many of his recordings include primal drumming. I would characterize a lot the his later music as free form and cacophonous.

On the back of many of his album covers he writes about the spiritual effects that will take place with many of his listeners. When I first read the back of his covers I remember thinking that I did'nt believe him. I was just curious about his music. After listening to many of his albums. I started experiencing all sorts of odd phenomenon.

On my daily train commute to work I would close my eyes and listen to his music. After many months, I started to see a red dot in the center of my forehead. Over the weeks, this red dot turned into a sun on a shoreline with an adumbrated skyline behind it. After a longer amount of time, I would see the sun followed by a series of pictures of jazz musicians. I told my sister about this and she said that Sun Ra was probably leaving a calling card with me.

I have listened to a copious amount of albums that promised to induce altered states of conciousness in the listener, but most of them did'nt do anything for me. I didn't start listening to Sun Ra to have these experiences, so when they started happening it took me by surprise.

My favorite group of singers is Take 6. When I go hear them in person, they sound as crisp and tight as they do on their albums. They can sound like horns, base, drums, all with their voices. They don't ever need any music to accompany them despite the fact that some of them can play instruments. Some of them are also skillful music arrangers so that even when they sing a song that you've heard before, they put their own signature sound on it.

this is my last.fm site, it shows what I listen to by automatically "scrobbling" whats played on itunes, cool site because you can find similiar artists to what you like

http://www.last.fm/user/moisha

i'm into be pop old school jazz like Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, i have a couple great radio stations that come from manhattan i believe, and they great stuff.

The Mars Volta is one of my favorite bands, the led zeppelin of our time. lots of energy, talent, creativity. i'm also into bands like The Doors, Pink Floyd, Sigur Ros, Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Fall of Troy, Minus the Bear, Regina Spektor, Boards of Canada, Explosions in the Sky, Radiohead, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Devendra Banhart

some classical like Chopin,

some electronica like Four Tet and Air

some hip hop like Aesop Rock and Atmosphere

a little bit of everything!

Sign in to follow this