deepchild

Interested in longevity, White Crane, Brahmaviharas, Anapanasati, Jhana, objective-changes, 7 elements, impermanence (eg. White Skeleton) & vision

Hiya,

I am interested in practices for protection & longevity which would allow one to be around long enough in one existence to understand & walk the entire path to the uncreated & help others to do the same.

I am interested in Qigong & Yoga that focuses along the spine & helps achieve comfortable full-lotus sitting meditation (eg. Zhineng, White Crane).

I am interested in sacrificing my psychological defects for virtues.

I am interested in understanding the details of the 16 stages of Anapanasati.

I am interested in understanding the experience of the 4 Jhanas.

I am interested in understanding objective changes that take place with spiritual practices & how one can use objective changes to assess & progress in spiritual practices.

I am interested in understanding the roles of the 7 elements (solid, liquid, gas, heat, space/akasha/ether, light-of-consciousness, uncreated (Nibbana-dhatu)) in practices of Qigong, Neigong, impermancence (eg. White Skeleton) & Samadhi.

I am interested in achieving clear vision of the cultivation path ahead & knowledge of consequences of actions so as to make right actions for progress on the path to the uncreated.

With friendship,

deepchild.

Hi deepchild,

Welcome to the forum.

I am interested in understanding the roles of the 7 elements (solid, liquid, gas, heat, space/akasha/ether, light-of-consciousness, uncreated (Nibbana-dhatu)) in practices of Qigong, Neigong, impermancence (eg. White Skeleton) & Samadhi.

deepchild.

I have never heard of 7 elements. I do know of 4 or 5 elements.

Hi deepchild,

Welcome to the forum.

I have never heard of 7 elements. I do know of 4 or 5 elements.

4 or 5 elements are commonly known in numerous traditions, however from reading translations of the Pali Suttas, these texts do mention 2 additional elements:

Vinnana-dhatu (the element of consciousness); and

Nibbana-dhatu (the element of ..... however you want to translate this ..... I dont know if this is a worthy translation, but I like "uncreated", because the other elements have a beginning and depend on something for their existence and therefore potentially have an end).

ie. Consciousness depends on "Name & Form" ... which I would understand as meaning duality (also translated as "Mental & Physical Existence" ... but I'm not sure if that translation is too materialistic). And if I understand it correctly, space(akasha) depends on consciousness. Sounds like the quantum physics idea of "things" depending on an observer for them appear ... ie. space may also depend on an observer. :blink: Pretty trippy.

Of course it is also possible that these 2 additional elements are just called elements as a figure of speech when talking about abstract "stuff".

Edited by deepchild

Welcome deepchild, find a seat, how do you like your tea?

:D

My favourite tea is Lou Han Guo by itself in boiling water. Lou Han Guo means "Fruit of the Arahats or Elightened Ones". Is is also good for your lungs... Hmm, I'm just thinking ... maybe these little dragonballz are called "Fruit of the Enlightened Ones" because maybe they're good at clearing out obstructions for breathing meditations such as Anapanasati? Just a thought.

that's a pretty long list. it sounds to me that you've been caught up in some hype.

maybe start with something simple?

I'm sure I have been caught up in some hype along the way. I know I can benefit from simplifying. Any suggestions?

I'm sure I have been caught up in some hype along the way. I know I can benefit from simplifying. Any suggestions?

Hello Deepchild,

wanted to say hello and welcome to Tao bums.

In my opinion, there is nothing inherently "wrong" with being "caught up in hype". Eventually, hype is seen for what it is and this births the new.

I know a lot of people hear talk of so many texts and philosophies, methods and practices. It makes my head spin. when I finally found the Tao-Te-Ching, it's voice came soothing and calm. It sang "let go", "be still", "let be". Almost sounds like a Beatles song huh? :D

Anyway, to me it IS about simplicity. There are many verses in the TAO-Te-Ching that could be sited but these came to the surface of my mind at this moment:

(1)Practice not-doing,

and everything will fall into place.

(2)When there is no desire,

all things are at peace.

(3)Be content with what you have;

rejoice in the way things are.

When you realize there is nothing lacking,

the whole world belongs to you.

And this one is a personal treasure from verse 48:

(4)In pursuit of knowledge,

every day something is added.

In the practice of the Tao,

every day something is dropped.

Less and less do you need to force things,

until finally you arrive at non-action.

When nothing is done,

nothing is left undone.

Namaste! :)

Hiya,

I am interested in practices for protection & longevity which would allow one to be around long enough in one existence to understand & walk the entire path to the uncreated & help others to do the same.

Hi Deepchild, i am also interested in the above, im not sure or definate about any of these things but i can share some of my thoughts, i would love to hear from other members here what their thoughts are, also please forgive me - i am studying ayurveda and buddhism at the same time so my understanding will be a blend of all 3 of my favourite "enlightenment paths"

My advice if your quest is to walk the path is to begin with a detox -after which you find your mind working a lot better when its not laden down with accumulated toxins in the system this includes a emotional detox, and the purging of wrong ideals/ignorance(this is a constant effort and doesnt end really until you achieve liberation), in ayurveda this is done through a home pancha karma treatment,

some elements to include in a good detox will incorporate fasting(practiced by many serious qigong practitioners, some of which i hear even only eat 1 meal a day permanently.- this definately promotes longevity as it slows down the aging related degeneration and it stokes the internal fires (which increases your awareness/spirituality/clarity) in addition it also burns off toxins - but caution, do a full fast only for up to what is right for your constitution, this can vary between 1 day to 7 days depending on constitution, this is vital as if you are a certain constitution and you do the wrong length the results can be disasterous (in ayurveda if a vata person fasted 7 days they would aggravate their Vata to the degree that they would suffer many illnesses and digestive problems thereafter)

obviously a diet that promotes spiritual persuits, would be beneficial. on that note, i think observing a morality as a basis/foundation for your mind training is absolutely critical, you could adhere to the patanjali(yoga precepts) or like me, i like the 5 precepts(buddhist)

1) No killing(eat vegetarian where possible),

2) No stealing,

3) no sexual misconduct(this includes any wasting of semen ie masturbation,or excessive sex(more than 3X per week- but again this depends on your constitution), as this wastes your ojas(ayurveda/buddhism) Jing(Taoism)- this will also decrease your lifespan and desire for enlightenment,union with tao etc. - dont destroy your own or others relationships due to your lust and desire

4)no Lying

5)No taking of intoxicants as they inhibit the consciousness.

I am interested in Qigong & Yoga that focuses along the spine & helps achieve comfortable full-lotus sitting meditation (eg. Zhineng, White Crane).

Qigong and yoga recommended would be:

1)the 5 tibetans- known for effective longevity and even rejuvenating and making one young.

2)the seated or standing 8 section brocades are known for their ability to give longevity.

3)there is an amazing qigong that is known to provide extreme health and other benefits , its purpose was designed by both buddhists and taoists in china, they had a close relationship in some circles, and worked in areas they both were willing to explore, eg there is one that began as a buddhist Qigong originally from Da Mo, but then was adapted by Taoists who had less issues with massaging certain parts of their anatomy etc,,, this high Qigong is very good, and also EXTREMELY dangerous, i would not reccomend it until a few years regular qigong and a good understanding of the energetic body and MOST importantly your dedication and will are IRON, ie you should first begin meditating for 6 months 3x a day as a test for your dedication if you give up or forget to do it even Once etc, you know you are not ready - reason is if you follow this method you cannot go back to being normal, it actually changes the intercostal facia such that it could make you very ill or even kill you? - i dont know much here guys probably a lot of you have WAY more experience than i in this concept, its called DaMo's muscle tendon washing classic, i read about it in a book written by Jwing

Regarding working with psycological impediments the biggest thing to overcome is attachment and clinging to the impermanent (everything is impermanant)Taoism agrees with this wholeheartedly,and turning them into virtues there are the 6 perfections:(copied off here http://www.angelfire.com/ego/nolimitz/budd...rfections.html)

Giving

Giving one's possessions, virtues, even one's body if needed.

Giving of fearlessness, or protection to others.

Practicing mentally giving to others.

Giving of Dharma, teachings.

Ethics

Keeping one's vows.

Working for sentient beings.

Restraining from negative actions.

Collecting merit (with the motivation of helping others).

Patience

Having patience in understanding Dharma and gaining faith.

Being undisturbed by anguish from suffering.

Practice patience before getting angry.

Having patience in accepting problems.

Being undisturbed by inflicted harm.

Joyous effort / perseverance

Collecting merit and helping others

Delighting in virtue and every beneficial action.

Avoiding putting off; craving worldly pleasures and discouragement

Concentration

Developing quiescence; single pointedness, stability & firmness (meditation) This brings great progress in any meditation practice and supernatural powers.

Cultivating inner needs: to have few wants and generating contentment, abandoning demands of the world, and have pure ethics.

Creating outer needs: conducive place: quiet, easy food & water, blessed place, not too comfortable and a helper.

Wisdom

Generating ultimate wisdom (emptiness) to achieve liberation and Buddhahood.

Generating relative wisdom in practicing the first five perfections and understanding karma.

Wisdom and compassion are the foundations of Mahayana practice.

I am interested in sacrificing my psychological defects for virtues.(also look at the 10 perfections)

Regarding all the rest im afraid i am but a noob, and would not speak of that i dont know, please forgive my ignorance, i am also just someone on the path trying to learn, also i only hope some of the information may prove useful..

i think a routine including standing meditation, 5 tibetans and Qigong advised by some of the advanced cultivators here would do well to encourage longevity and a higher conciousness,

especially if you couple it with a consciousness raising diet(sattvic diet/sentient diet)

and incorporating periodic detoxification and daily meditation, also dont forget to ENJOY LIFE, cultivate a good sense of humor and have compassion and teach what you know so others may also benefit if they choose to raise their conciousness. - all my best wishes!!

I am interested in understanding the details of the 16 stages of Anapanasati.

I am interested in understanding the experience of the 4 Jhanas.

I am interested in understanding objective changes that take place with spiritual practices & how one can use objective changes to assess & progress in spiritual practices.

I am interested in achieving clear vision of the cultivation path ahead & knowledge of consequences of actions so as to make right actions for progress on the path to the uncreated.

With friendship,

deepchild.