Sign in to follow this  
Aetherous

Chinese Natural Cures: Traditional Methods for Remedy and Prevention

If you're interested in how TCM fits in with what you eat, this book has TONS of info. And it's really cheap for how big it is. Highly recommended.

If you're interested in how TCM fits in with what you eat, this book has TONS of info. And it's really cheap for how big it is. Highly recommended.

This is one printing of it ~

Amazon Link

If you search around for it you can usually find it for around 7 or 8 bucks.

It's a quick reference book. A little information on a lot of stuff.

It the kind of book that gives a good quick introduction to things

so you can then go and research them your self better.

So You Can further look things up in other books or Google them.

With any herbs, or anything, you REALLY want to do further research!!!

Somethings the effects are very much dependent on other factors!

... take an herb wrong and it Will Bite you back, lol! :D (or just kill you.)

Other factors can be things like how it's prepared, what other herbs it is mixed with,

And all that stuff to do with what's going on "elementally" in the body.

Is a good book, but read others along side it.

...And always consult someone who actually knows about such things!

Thanks for putting it up here Scott!

Think it is an often overlooked book, with some very cool stuff in it!

Like the information on "patent herbs" in there.

Peace!

Shon

Edited by shontonga

TCM - Traditional Chinese Medic is also called "HAN DYNASTY MEDIC" because it is systemized in Han Dynasty. But it is not all of Chinese medic. Chinese medic do have Han dynasty medic and Tao medic. Tao medic is what I said the Taoism medic study.

If you see my previous post, you can see a brief intro to the history and why there are 2 ways of medic in the Chinese. Taoist who do tao medic also have to know some Chinese medic too. (han medic)

Hi Shon,

If you search around for it you can usually find it for around 7 or 8 bucks.

It's a quick reference book. A little information on a lot of stuff.

It the kind of book that gives a good quick introduction to things

so you can then go and research them your self better.

Hmm, maybe you have a different version than I do. I have the version that you linked on Amazon.

This version is VERY in depth about pretty much everything, from the theory, to each herb and food item. It seems to give a good lengthy introduction to all of the concepts.

Of course I agree to study other books as well...but I can't recommend this one enough for someone who is interested in cooking and TCM. It's the best book I've found on the subject.

I haev learned from a chinese master before who is a very good chinese doctor too. His knowledge is passed down from his family lineage and his family is doctors in the kingdom before too, serving the kingdom of ching dynasty.

This master told me before that there are many things un-open to the public in the medic system practised in the kingdom. These includes practise of the TIN EYE, eye of heaven, which is so called the 3rd eye but it is specially trained to see through a person's body and see the organs and viens. That is how they come up with super accurate pin-ing spots. They can also see the chi of each organs coming out from the body. This is part of the system, which he said it was from Taoism medic system too.

Too many things in the Chinese are un-opened to the public. But that is the culture of Chinese. They just treasure their own stuff too much.

Hi Shon,

Hmm, maybe you have a different version than I do. I have the version that you linked on Amazon.

This version is VERY in depth about pretty much everything, from the theory, to each herb and food item. It seems to give a good lengthy introduction to all of the concepts.

Of course I agree to study other books as well...but I can't recommend this one enough for someone who is interested in cooking and TCM. It's the best book I've found on the subject.

:)

Same.

heres another link to Half dot com about that to start with.

There is an older version or printing of this book that is beautiful in it's layout.

Very artful. Think the information should be the same for the most part.

Am sure there might be a little reedited and some added but don't really know.

Looked for it just now at half.com and it is there starting at around 4.99.

Have done well with books from there.

As many things as they have in this book ... most things they give a little info on,

Take just one heading from it and they could have written a whole book of equal size ... or ten!

Think about how much history, how much study people have put into these things.

There is so much more to be said than what one person, in one life, could ever compile.

Let alone so many perspectives to draw upon!

LOL, I agree though, it is a good book!

Scott, Are you interested in CM?

There are actually starting to be some good podcasts on itunes out there now?

Some basic intro stuff(foundation that's always good!) as well as some more in depth stuff, too!

... I've seen the older version of this book(tall and skinny book) in a

lot of discount book stores which is always a shock!

Think they must have grossly over printed it or something, It's like treasure!!!

Well worth picking up if you(anyone) see it!

Even if it's just to share with someone else in your life that's into such things,

makes a great gift! :D

Sweet dreams!

Shon

Mak Tin Si, Will go back and check out your post on taoist medics, afraid I missed it, but

would like to see what you have to say!

Stay well all!

Mak Tin Si,

I agree that there seems to be a lot hidden from the popular Westernized version of TCM. It would be nice to learn more about these things.

Shon,

As many things as they have in this book ... most things they give a little info on,

Take just one heading from it and they could have written a whole book of equal size ... or ten!

Think about how much history, how much study people have put into these things.

There is so much more to be said than what one person, in one life, could ever compile.

Let alone so many perspectives to draw upon!

True. After looking through it last night I see that some of the food items have a lengthy description, but some just have a paragraph. It would take more looking into, if you wanted to use something rare like "fingered citron roots", which only says "good for pain and weakness in limbs"...you'd probably have to look elsewhere to know how to prepare it. But most of the common food items have good info on preparations, dosages, organ networks it affects, etc.

If you know of other books that are good for cooking with TCM, let me know.

The only other one I have is Between Heaven and Earth.

The hidden parts are alwaya availible to learn, but the western people must first open up themselve to accept the stuff before deciding to learn.

For example if one teach you something call "TIN EYE" like eye of heaven which allow you to see through the body, but the master said it takes 10yrs to get it.

Most westerner return with "proof it to me first"

then the master will just go away.

Learning any Chiense stuff is like that, you have to trust and be humble first to show your respect and effect, then you will get the real stuff.

Mak Tin Si,

I agree that there seems to be a lot hidden from the popular Westernized version of TCM. It would be nice to learn more about these things.

Shon,

True. After looking through it last night I see that some of the food items have a lengthy description, but some just have a paragraph. It would take more looking into, if you wanted to use something rare like "fingered citron roots", which only says "good for pain and weakness in limbs"...you'd probably have to look elsewhere to know how to prepare it. But most of the common food items have good info on preparations, dosages, organ networks it affects, etc.

If you know of other books that are good for cooking with TCM, let me know.

The only other one I have is Between Heaven and Earth.

Sign in to follow this