Sign in to follow this  
gossamer

Nine Nights With The Taoist Master (Deluxe Study Edition)

I've decided to spend the $ on 'Nine Nights With The Taoist Master (The Deluxe Study Edition)', by Waysun Liao.

I'll give you guys a reader's review, when I get it, and read it.

I have no expectations, but if it's good I'll let you know, ditto, if it's garbage, I'll let you know as well.

Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Nine-Nights-Taoist-M...5734&sr=8-1

Peace, gossamer

I loved the book and I hope you do too. The characters are very human and multidimensional, and there is a good selection of events that play out to motivate and illustrate the teachings. It makes the teaching real: real people having real problems being counseled by a great sage. A very fresh and inspiring presentation of the Tao Te Ching.

He must have some students with literary talent. If you've seen his videos, you'll know his English is passable, but not great. But in the book action, suspense, humor, irony and more are all conveyed with excellent style. Much better writing than another book with the same type of premise, The Celestine Prophecy.

A particularly memorable scene (that won't be spoiling anything for me to tell :) ) is when Laotzu travels to the town market. Rumor has spread about his incredible wisdom and power, so he everyone from prostitutes to martial artists try to sell him their products claiming "These secret arts were taught to me by Laotzu himself," not knowing who they are speaking to. Classic! What a dead-on social commentary.

Yeah, it's overpriced. A word to the wise: if you are patient, amazon.com will put it on sale. I got mine for 30% off. Great material, and it is self published, so if you have the money to spare it is very worthwhile. His DVDs are another story. The teaching is good, but $50 for an hour long DVD that looks like it was burned off someone's desktop? I find that questionable.

As far as Nine Nights is concerned, just thinking about it makes me want to re-read it. I liked it that much.

Sign in to follow this