Sign in to follow this  
Moonbar

Full lotus

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me if being seated in the full lotus position improves our practises or not?

Some say that it essential to progress - can anyone explain how & why this may be so?

& are there any preparotory excercises that might help loosen up the knees as im a 95kg 35yr old male & not exactly supple any more :P

Any of your opinions will be greatly appreciated :)

I don't have any suggestions other than slow conditioning . . .

Work on half lotus (left over right) for as long as you can tolerate it.

When you're sitting at home or at your office, try to condition your legs.

The funny thing is that once you do it, you may realize that you could have done it all along.

My personal experience (and not my professional opinion as a non-accredited nobody) is that you can meditate in any posture, but I am better able to clean out my energy channels in full lotus, full lotus set my macro cosmic orbit stronger, and the pain that arises and subsides has a specific function as well ...

/tosses in another .02

when doing half, be sure to do both left over right and vice versa, dont want to create an imbalance.

Joe,

I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing . . .

For conditioning - I think you are right.

If you're doing your sitting meditation temporarily in half lotus, until you can do the full lotus, I feel like it's better to only do left over right for a male because you want to increase yin. Same with some of the static hand positions.

I could totally be wrong, but that's just my own understanding at the moment and what I was taught before I was able to fold both of them.

Actually I haven't thought about it for some time, and haven't done half lotus for some years really, but maybe will run through it a couple of times since it's an interesting question if I ever decide to teach sometime.

Well, I'm certainly no authority hehe...I was mainly coming from a conditioning standpoint, I'm not quite that sensitive to be able to tell any subtler differences with left or right :)

Ok so its a gradual conditioning process B) thankyou - something for me to work on.

I wasnt aware of the importance of left over right & vice versa so thankyou once again :)

:P

Oh thanks Michael i just caught your post - Ill dive into that link tomorrow, looks like its got all the info i need.

Cheers. ;)

Edited by Moonbar

Sign in to follow this