Ya Mu

Chinese Taoist Medicine & Stillness-Movement Medical Qigong

I had been asked to elaborate on the Taoist medicine that I practice and teach. So I thought I would make the attempt.

This is a rare form of therapy that is not well known. SO you are not going to find it in books; there is a reason for that.

The therapy REQUIRES the therapist/doctor/healer to have already refined/developed their qi to where they are comfortable manipulating energy.

This system was called simply "Taoism" by my teacher. I have added descriptive terms to clarify as much as possible what it really is, and call it Taoist Neuro-Energetic Chi Kung Bodywork.

Instead of the classically described channels as utilized in what we know as TCM, this system utilizes the nerve synapse energy response. So a microcosmic (think directed "thin" stream of qi) qi projection is used direct into each nerve synapse that displays an out of balance response upon palpation. SO a large part of the initial training to learn this method requires a student to develop neuro-energetic palpation skills.

Then a feedback and control loop is established with the signal going into the nerve synapse with the neurological response monitored as the feedback and the control signal modified dependent upon the information received from the feedback loop.

So in essence the "treatment" and "diagnosis" are dynamically changing all the time during the session, based upon the feedback and control loop.

I have utilized this method with close to 100% success rate with most any kind of pain syndrome and have had extreme results with helping people with any type of neuropathy including diabetic neuropathy.

This method has consistently worked when methods such as needle acupuncture, chiropractic, etc. have failed.

But it is NOT a "back treatment" method or a "pain therapy" but is really the essence of preventive medicine, designed to eliminate dis-ease before it manifests as a disease.

A person could watch it done for a thousand years and not know how to do it. I could write a step-by-step formula on how to do the method and a person would not know how to do it from the written formula. In fact, a person cannot learn this method until they have practiced it and they can not practice it until they have learned it. Now I ask, is this not the "true" Tao?

Disclaimer: Please do not try to perform this technique based upon this description. You can't.

I do not diagnose or treat anything and work strictly as a therapist. The conditions described above were physician diagnosed.

Edited by Ya Mu
  • Like 2

Then a feedback and control loop is established with the signal going into the nerve synapse with the neurological response monitored as the feedback and the control signal modified dependent upon the information received from the feedback loop.

What kind of neurological response? Can you give some examples?

What kind of neurological response? Can you give some examples?

Difficult to describe...

But the practitioner knows when a change occurs; so I may say to the client "Did you feel that open up?" OR Does your wrist feel better now? to which they may reply something like "Yes, I felt it go all the way from my back through my shoulder then to my hand" OR the client suddenly achieves total relaxation or any number of other responses.

And usually the practitioner (remember practitioner requirements) will correspondingly SEE the sick qi go out of the patient/clients body at the exact moment (or possibly +/- a few microseconds) of that neuro-feedback response.

So the neurological response to which I am referring is the feedback signal (of the neurological change) that is picked up by the practitioner which precedes (usually by only a very small amount of time) a physical response that the patient/client feels. This would apply to whatever situation or dis-ease that the patient/client is experiencing.

Edited by Ya Mu
  • Like 1

Ya MU,

Sounds like what you are doing is what more advanced qiqong practitioners practice. They use their

own body energy for healing. This is when needles are not necessary. Needles are really for

practitioners without Chi developed. Needles can help though. I'm studying Chinese Medicine right

now. From what I've heard though, many practitioners with Chi do not use their own energy on patients

because it can get themselves very ill.

Chen

Ya MU,

Sounds like what you are doing is what more advanced qiqong practitioners practice. They use their

own body energy for healing. This is when needles are not necessary. Needles are really for

practitioners without Chi developed. Needles can help though. I'm studying Chinese Medicine right

now. From what I've heard though, many practitioners with Chi do not use their own energy on patients

Chen

Yes to the advanced method, but this Taoist medicine system differs from the medical/clinical qigong you are talking about. I practice and teach that also. A person has to learn the medical qigong THEN the Taoist medicine.

In medical qigong, we do chi kung style acupuncture which does not require needles. A person can have much quicker results with this method than with needle acupuncture. I practice and teach several different styles of this chi kung needle-less acupuncture. Some of the needle-less styles do NOT use TCM theory but do utilize the energy channels. Two examples would be direct into acupoint qi projection and needles of Light technique. I really can't imagine anyone continuing to use needles once they learned these techniques.

But the Taoist medicine is it's own unique method that starts after one has learned the above.

We will be doing the medical qigong and the Taoist medicine in my workshop this weekend.

From what I've heard though, many practitioners with Chi do not use their own energy on patients

You have heard correctly. A person has to do a form of qigong that displaces any accumulated sick qi or they would be much better off to forget about medical qigong. In the medical qigong applications we cover techniques for shielding and dealing with this sick qi. Most of my students get to where they see the sick qi. Ugly stuff.

• Like 1

Interesting!

I believe there are several new treatments popping up over the planet that use these concepts(neuro-energetic connection) to explain their treatment.

There is one here in Norway just in the beginning of being introduced called StillPoint Massage. I've had one treatment and that effectively eliminated an acute pain in the neck with just simple and very light one-finger touch in the strangest places around the body. Very strange but extremely effective. Im looking forward to when this treatment is more available.

Im also getting treatments from a chirpractor doing something called Network. He dont use the regular chiropractic forceful cracking, but only very light touch and then leaves the body alone for a while. When he leaves I allways experience lots of changes going on. Like twists in the spine and muscles adjusting themselves. He explains that he activates the parts of the body that already is balanced. This travels up the nervesystem to the brain that naturally starts to correct the unbalanced parts in the rest of the body. Ive done this three times now and allready my hip and spine is correcting itself. My chiropractor say this also makes the changes last a lot better than with the forceful cracking of the spine, because the whole nervesystem and musclesystem is included. Its a body-mind treatment, he say.

And Ive also heard of versions of Cranio Sacral Therapy that I believe use the same concepts to explain their technique.

Interesting!

I believe there are several new treatments popping up over the planet that use these concepts(neuro-energetic connection) to explain their treatment.

There is one here in Norway just in the beginning of being introduced called StillPoint Massage. I've had one treatment and that effectively eliminated an acute pain in the neck with just simple and very light one-finger touch in the strangest places around the body. Very strange but extremely effective. Im looking forward to when this treatment is more available.

Im also getting treatments from a chirpractor doing something called Network. He dont use the regular chiropractic forceful cracking, but only very light touch and then leaves the body alone for a while. When he leaves I allways experience lots of changes going on. Like twists in the spine and muscles adjusting themselves. He explains that he activates the parts of the body that already is balanced. This travels up the nervesystem to the brain that naturally starts to correct the unbalanced parts in the rest of the body. Ive done this three times now and allready my hip and spine is correcting itself. My chiropractor say this also makes the changes last a lot better than with the forceful cracking of the spine, because the whole nervesystem and musclesystem is included. Its a body-mind treatment, he say.

And Ive also heard of versions of Cranio Sacral Therapy that I believe use the same concepts to explain their technique.

You know, when all is said and done, it comes down to efficacy; does it work? Speaking as a patient, I know that I am grateful to the universe for any pain relief I get. So, the techniques you mentioned are a good thing if they work for you. I also am firmly convinced that all information already exists and it is a matter of tuning-in to it. So it is natural that similar techniques are introduced by different folks and cultures.

I am familiar with the methods you mentioned. This system differs significantly. It is not body-mind medicine and the other systems do not require cultivation or knowing qi projection.

The Taoist medicine is a very old technique that stayed in a Taoist's family for generations and was not disclosed to the public. It was said by my teacher, his teacher, and an independent researcher I met that this method was once reserved for the emperor and his family while the TCM based stuff was utilized by the common folks.

I have no evidence to back this up so let's call it a folk tale. Doesn't matter, the technique speaks for itself.

But, I will make the story short and repeat what my teacher as well as the independent researcher (who was a well respected doctor in Beijing) said:

A long time ago (and far, far away :) ) the Chinese Kingdom was near to being overrun by invaders. There were two major forms of medicine. One form was used to treat the common man and the other form was used to treat the emperor and his family. The emperor gave two tombs (scrolls) of medicine to two different monks and told them to protect these at all costs. The empire was overrun, but the two priests were able to get away without being captured. One of these scrolls emerged and was the background to what is now known as the Yellow Emperor's Classic, from which all current TCM is derived. The other book never emerged and was considered lost.

OK, you historians can beat up on this if you want to. I did say let's treat it as a folk tale. But again, doesn't matter, because the system did emerge, and it had to have come from somewhere. But it was mighty interesting to me that I was told the story above and then 15 years later heard it again from a researcher in China, someone who I had not even mentioned the system to.

• Like 1

Here is a link to a video of Network Spinal Analysis that I just found: http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=686980998

Very gentle and still extremely effective in correcting the spine and the skeleton.

I've had this done to me before. It was gentle but not effective for me.

The Taoist medicine is not similar; a totally different technique.

Ya Mu,

Have you seen anything about the SCENAR device? Does that work under the same principle as this Taoist medicine?

Instead of the classically described channels as utilized in what we know as TCM, this system utilizes the nerve synapse energy response. So a microcosmic (think directed "thin" stream of qi) qi projection is used direct into each nerve synapse that displays an out of balance response upon palpation. SO a large part of the initial training to learn this method requires a student to develop neuro-energetic palpation skills.

I realize that it's impossible to learn this over the net, but I'm just very curious about the technique. What would be an out of balance response to the clinician? Like...skin temperature or color, energy perceived...?

Thanks.

I also heard that this method of healing was also for the emperors warriors. When they got hurt in

battle, they healed quickly from injuries.

Ya Mu,

Have you seen anything about the SCENAR device? Does that work under the same principle as this Taoist medicine?

I realize that it's impossible to learn this over the net, but I'm just very curious about the technique. What would be an out of balance response to the clinician? Like...skin temperature or color, energy perceived...?

Thanks.

In a way it is similar, in that both utilize the neuro feedback to modulate the input signal. In other ways vastly different, as the machine can modulate from feedback but does not posses the spectrum of energetics available to the practitioner and does not have any sense of INTENT.

Visible patient response is almost always achieved. I have never seen this method fail to get a response. Examples would be visually watching a rheumatoid swelling go down as this is applied, body flush, instant warming (Have never actually measured temperature, what clients say), heart rate modulated (have measured this), instant elimination of pain as reported by client, constipated clients immediately having to interrupt session and go to the bathroom, etc.

Thanks.

I'm still not really understanding the technique. My impression is that the clinician senses out of balance areas in the patient, and then treats them with qi...and that out of balance areas will appear and disappear in different places as the body shifts from the treatment.

So the thing I'm trying to understand is how you first find an out of balance area. Not the patient reaction to the treatment, but the way to determine what kind of treatment is needed. How do you sense what's needed?

Thanks.

I'm still not really understanding the technique. My impression is that the clinician senses out of balance areas in the patient, and then treats them with qi...and that out of balance areas will appear and disappear in different places as the body shifts from the treatment.

So the thing I'm trying to understand is how you first find an out of balance area. Not the patient reaction to the treatment, but the way to determine what kind of treatment is needed. How do you sense what's needed?

Scotty,

I wish I could be clearer but not sure i can. Most people would just have to experience it to understand.

This is a technique that I spent 12 years learning as an apprentice with a Taoist physician. I also spent close to 10 years studying a separate system of medical qigong, but these systems overlap. It has many subtleties.

But I will try again.

The practitioner first has to have a knowledge of medical qigong. That means the practitioner should have personally practiced internal qigong for self for a long time (can take 1 to 25 years, depending on system), then studied medical qigong with a medical qigong teacher(can take 2 -20 years, depending on system). Then the person learns neuro-palpation (can take 2-10 years, really depends on the practice one puts in). Then the actual Taoist medicine technique can be taught (basic ability can take 3 - 12 years, depends on the amount of practice). I have developed a way for people to concurrently do all of the above in a 500 hour program that gives them a powerful internal qigong system especially suited for medical qigong, as well as hospital and clinic based medical qigong application techniques, and the Taoist Medicine introduction-intermediate so that a practitioner can start clinical practice. The practitioner has to meet all local laws wherever he practices. In the USA, this varies from state to state. Usually, all chiropractors, massage therapists, physical therapists, MD's, and acupuncturists would qualify.

The technique itself, once all the above requirements are met, involves the palpation of the neuro-energy response of each nerve synapse. We utilizing a feedback and control loop by injecting a controlled qi signal into the synapse and utilizing "antennae" fingers as the feedback receiver, we pick up the body response (changes). Depending on this feedback response we alter the qi signal in frequency, amplitude and duration. The system is dynamic, and not static in that as we change any one input, all outputs (each synapse) changes and we have to alter the treatment dynamically as this happens. Treatments last about an hour.

Hope this helps. Best I can do.

• Like 2

From an non-medical practitioner's point of view, I find these methods, in spite they sound targeted to specific disease, too attached to specific organ /place of our physical body , which although make people ,especially those whose minds are full of scientific knowledge , understand and master them easier , they conversely bar them from initiating some kind of qi more delicate....

Edited by exorcist_1699

From an non-medical practitioner's point of view, I find these methods, in spite they sound targeted to specific disease, too attached to specific organ /place of our physical body , which although make people ,especially those whose minds are full of scientific knowledge , understand and master them easier , they conversely bar them from initiating some kind of qi more delicate....

The Taoist medicine method DOES utilize the extremely delicate manipulation of qi. That is its basis. A scientific understanding would actually be an impediment to learning this method. Only a very deep energetic understanding would allow a practitioner to even begin to learn this.

Typical results with Taoist Medicine

This week simplified case file:

rheumatoid arthritis

Presentation was pain and numbness in hands, wrists, and fingers with several large nodules all the way to elbow. Client had been to many different practitioners with no results.

Therapy utilized: Taoist Nero-Energetic Chi Kung Bodywork (learned as "Taoism" or "Taoist Medicine") and Medical Qigong

End of Taoist therapy: The nodules were observed to dissipate, some to within 1/4 of original size during session, some nearly gone. Client reported much cessation of pain. Client also demonstrated greater ROM of hands, wrists, and fingers. Client reported numb areas now had some pain and were much less numb. With about 3 minutes of medical qigong most pain was gone.

Anyone that has had to deal with this terrible affliction knows that many therapies are contraindicated due to "stirring the beast". This client has good results with Taoist therapy.

Another this week simplified case file:

severe sciatica

Presentation: Client was not able to walk in on their own. Client reported severe pain in low back, sacrum, and coccyx with pain running down the back of one leg. Client had been to many different practitioners with no results. Client reported difficulty in sleeping.

Taoist therapy and other medical qigong were both utilized.

End of session: The client walked from the therapy room and reported most pain gone.

Anyone that has experienced this type of pain knows how debilitating it can be. This client had good results with Taoist therapy.

I think the confusion may be that there is no division of 'finding whats wrong' and 'treating it'

The feedback loop both detects imbalances and adjusts the energy to treat the problem.

I have used it on minor muscular problems with some success.

Keep up the good work Mike

Another this week simplified case file:

severe sciatica

Presentation: Client was not able to walk in on their own. Client reported severe pain in low back, sacrum, and coccyx with pain running down the back of one leg. Client had been to many different practitioners with no results. Client reported difficulty in sleeping.

Taoist therapy and other medical qigong were both utilized.

End of session: The client walked from the therapy room and reported most pain gone.

Anyone that has experienced this type of pain knows how debilitating it can be. This client had good results with Taoist therapy.

Hi Ya Mu,

On the case of the sciatica, what do you mean by Taoist therapy? You use the meridians without needles correct? I think I remember reading that on your post before. Could you describe how you apply your medical qigong? Is it applied to the back, the legs, etc?

Thanks,