Ya Mu

Chinese Taoist Medicine & Stillness-Movement Medical Qigong

Louis, thanks for the laugh about "hippiness" with utilizing sage and sandlewood. I know a couple of Native American Medicine Men who will probably bust a gut on that one when I tell it to them. Big laughs a'comin. Not to mention the Taoist monks who burn more sandalwood than anyone else I know; they will find it interesting that they are hippies. And to think that all the cultures in the world who utilize plant essences and do weird Taoist type of things like commune with nature and all life that is connected here on Earth including trees & birds - boy are they gonna be surprised to learn that they are hippies. I haven't even heard the word in about 40 years

Thanks mjjbecker for your answers, very good. And thanks ASeeker for your magnetic model. I like this model and you did a much better job explaining it than I could have.

Of course no model can really explain the totality of the experience itself.

I think the questions were pretty much answered. Here is one that I will address.

How does the pain elimination occur? We use multiple methods within the system. With medical qigong wai qi liao fa we displace and remove the sick qi. Of course there are other things we do at the same time, reduce inflammation, calm the agitated nerve synapse, etc. Usually the pain goes away instantaneously but depending on the injury it may take a day or it may require multiple sessions with just a significant reduction in pain initially. Another way we eliminate the pain is the Taoist medicine approach direct through the nerve synapse achieving neuro-balance and opening the neural pathways.

Louis, thanks for your comments about what you think about physicality.

Here are my comments on physicality. I am not interested in "debating" the subject.

Here is my suggested program for a balanced approach to cultivation including the physical.

I totally disagree on the concept popularized by fantasy sex oriented TV commercials that suggest everyone needs to look a certain way or they are not "physically fit" and think it total bullshit nonsense. Everyone has a different body. The key to fitness is health, vibrancy, "cat" muscles NOT the pumped up fantasy muscles. In clinic I saw athletes that could pump iron, run 30 miles, do 300 pushups, etc but they got colds every time one came there way. So they were NOT "physically fit". Instead they had run down their bodies through over stimulation.

Physicality is short term – everyone dies. Of course health is important, and exercise IS important for health. But I see so many "fitness nuts" who simply are overdoing the physicality it in a vain attempt to look what they think is "sexy" while ignoring the fact that they are going to physically die, actually in a very short period of time.

I believe the program I outline above gives the best of both worlds.

In terms of the neigong alchemy practice of Stillness-Movement, the practice brings about multidimensional awareness while physicality is indeed not and never will be multidimensional. So achievements in the two cannot be even remotely compared.

And, as far as Healing Tao goes, on a Teacher level there is no competition between us. I am friends with some of the top instructors, friendly conversation level with others, and several of these top HT instructors have attended my workshops.

The two systems are really totally different, but we all swim in the same pond.

And one last thing," ...the spiritual would certainly be the weakest part of my practice and my view of it is very narrow."

Yes indeed.

Open up your view and perhaps find that the way to get answers is to not be closed minded, don't deliver subtle insults as you did in this thread, and be respectful. I am always willing to help someone willing to help themselves. Calling me a hippy (well, OK, not a big insult - just rude) and saying remarks about your ill-informed perceived view of my fitness (read the blogpost referenced above) is not the way to do that.

Edited by Ya Mu
  • Like 8

Yeah i agree, you don't need pumped up muscles, just need some physical activity every day. I used to be the athlete that got colds every month, now i have balanced internal with external and only get sick when i am silly enough to push myself over the edge.

In terms of the neigong alchemy practice of Stillness-Movement, the practice brings about multidimensional awareness while physicality is indeed not and never will be multidimensional. So achievements in the two cannot be even remotely compared.

If you are god you can play with the humans, animals and other forms of life like chess pieces through your influence, but i think it is a gift to be able to actually physically do things with your own body. If your body is strong your link to the physical is stronger and 'you' can do more. Just my way of looking at it, not to say it's the right way.

I was only speaking the truth as i saw it and the main thing i meant is that your spiritual strength seemed exceptional and in my opinion your physical didn't match your spiritual development. If you do the exercise like you posted in your blog every day well i'm sure you are very physically fit. I did mention i could have beeen mistaken.

And hippy, well i didn't mean to be rude i just thought it was the best way to express my feelings as to talking to birds and all the things you mention you would laugh about as being hippy in your post above. In Australia and especially amongst the people i know nobody would feel it was rude to be called a hippy. So perhaps a cultural difference. Also i didn't even think there was any competition between your system and HT or any other system, i see things just as they are, my intention was only to get a better understanding of your system, and so i bought your book.

There was certainly no insult or bad intentions at all and i apologize if that's how it was perceived.

I will try to 'open my mind' haha :) But thankyou for taking the time to respond it shows your keeness to help others.

I just would like to add i am even getting a bit sick of HT now. I think how good a system is should only be rated by how much you enjoy practicing it. For later in my opinion all systems become a hinderance.

Yes, the program I posted above is what I do. I always try to use on self before suggesting to others.

No worries, it was a bit funny - I was just startled at the use of the word as it has been oh so long since we have seen folks over here called hippie.

Your perception is actually guite good, even though I perhaps took it wrong (cultural understanding and interaction is a thing we should strive for, eh?). Even though I do that program, the doctors told me I should be totally disabled and are amazed that I still get around. I have fractured spine in several places, several herniated disks, multiple nerve impingement, genetic degenerative neurological disorder aggravated by severe tick fever resulting in neuropathy from the knees down, my feet stink and I don't love Jesus like I should. Oh, and I hurt like hell (unless I practice the qigong). The truth is, without my qigong practice I would be unable to walk and my pain level would be narcotic level (which I refused). But ask my students about the Spirit Circle Running I do in the workshops.

Edited by Ya Mu
  • Like 8

LOL

My reaction to your Buffett reference made my wife wonder what I was reading...

:)

The DVD makes an excellent gift for the qigong-curious friend or family member, too...

;)

CASE REPORT:

84 year old patient had massive Hematoma on left inner shin running from approximately knee to almost ankle. Result of a 65 # Golden-Doodle running into her leg . Patient thought she had suffered a fracture -- great deal of discoloration , purple, raised portion of the Hematoma was almost the size of a Baseball at the center - yet spread the length of the shin bone. Patient rated her pain at a 9 out of 10 on a standard scale of 1 - 10. She was also unable to walk. She had taken extra pre-cautions and was elevating the leg as well as using an ice pack for 20 minute intervals.

Treatment: Began the treatment with invisible needle acupuncture to open the channels involved in the leg - kidney channel, spleen channel, liver, also bladder, stomach . I used the invisible needle technique directly to the hematoma to help pull the stuck qi out of the area. Next I began to project Qi to the channels to again open the energy flow of the channels -- the pull sick qi from the channels and pull sick directly from the Hematoma.

Finally - I created a vortex of energy from two different channels and expanded the energy outward -- as I did - the sick Qi from the area -- flew out of the leg - from the knee, shin, toes and claf -- as this was happening the hematoma was returning to normal size and the purple color was leaving. I continued to expand the vortex ouward then again back inward -- each time - snapping sick Qi out of the leg. Then , I decided it was time to stop -- the leg was pretty close to normal in size and color. However , within 10 minutes of stopping the patient did feel somewhat sick and ended up having a bowel movement 10 minutes after the treatment had ended. After which the patient stated she felt much better.

Results: Immediate - Patients leg showed immediate visible improvement following the treatment - the purple color had completely gone -- as rated by the patient and practitioner. Also the patient rated her pain level had decreased from a 9 out of 10 to a 4 out of 10.

This rating was achieved 1 hour after initial contact by the practitioner.

Follow-up: Next day - I met with the patient the following day and she was walking normally and stated that her pain level was now down to a 1 out of 10 and she showed me the leg and she was amazed that there was no bruising left on the leg and no discoloration remaining.

CASE REPORT:

84 year old patient had massive Hematoma on left inner shin running from approximately knee to almost ankle. Result of a 65 # Golden-Doodle running into her leg . Patient thought she had suffered a fracture -- great deal of discoloration , purple, raised portion of the Hematoma was almost the size of a Baseball at the center - yet spread the length of the shin bone. Patient rated her pain at a 9 out of 10 on a standard scale of 1 - 10. She was also unable to walk. She had taken extra pre-cautions and was elevating the leg as well as using an ice pack for 20 minute intervals.

Treatment: Began the treatment with invisible needle acupuncture to open the channels involved in the leg - kidney channel, spleen channel, liver, also bladder, stomach . I used the invisible needle technique directly to the hematoma to help pull the stuck qi out of the area. Next I began to project Qi to the channels to again open the energy flow of the channels -- the pull sick qi from the channels and pull sick directly from the Hematoma.

Finally - I created a vortex of energy from two different channels and expanded the energy outward -- as I did - the sick Qi from the area -- flew out of the leg - from the knee, shin, toes and claf -- as this was happening the hematoma was returning to normal size and the purple color was leaving. I continued to expand the vortex ouward then again back inward -- each time - snapping sick Qi out of the leg. Then , I decided it was time to stop -- the leg was pretty close to normal in size and color. However , within 10 minutes of stopping the patient did feel somewhat sick and ended up having a bowel movement 10 minutes after the treatment had ended. After which the patient stated she felt much better.

Results: Immediate - Patients leg showed immediate visible improvement following the treatment - the purple color had completely gone -- as rated by the patient and practitioner. Also the patient rated her pain level had decreased from a 9 out of 10 to a 4 out of 10.

Follow-up: Next day - I met with the patient the following day and she was walking normally and stated that her pain level was now down to a 1 out of 10 and she showed me the leg and she was amazed that there was no bruising left on the leg and no discoloration remaining.

• Like 7

CASE REPORT:

CASE REPORT:

As usual, well done!

edit: The immediately needing to get up and go to the toilet happens a lot with elderly folks as many have stagnant bowels and a primary benefit of the medical qigong is that it clears stagnation and helps achieve homeostasis.

I remember the very first time when I was performing the Stillness-Movement neigong medical qigong procedures on such a bruised & inflamed condition and we watched in real time as the color cleared to normal. I happened to glance up and see the clients eyes - they were big around as saucers! All they said was "dang - I can't believe it - look at that!!!". Yes, "look at that!!!" indeed.

Future's Medicine Today! And all a person has to do is learn the system and practice in order to get these type of results!

Edited by Ya Mu
  • Like 5

Hello, do you guys have anything about curing myopia?

If you read my posts you will see that the word "cure" is not in my vocabulary.

We do "High Level healing". This is where the only thing we are concerned with is helping a person achieve his/her destiny. These reports are mostly reports of side-effects. The real "healing" occurs on an energy-body level and is usually beyond our mental interpretation. Although most times we see the results - many times this changes a persons view of who/what they are and where they are in life. Astounding changes we see.

I have worked on people with eye problems - but usually of a different nature than what you have. I can't remember anyone ever coming into my clinic and asking me to work on their nearsightedness.

I know I can see better after practicing Stillness-Movement and Gift of the Tao. And we do have a specific eye exercise in our system and a specific clinical qigong approach to eyes. I think the exercises, over a long term, would be more beneficial than any one session in clinic.

Hi 2 Ya Mu. I have 1 qustionif I have a cardiac disease, can I practice this programm?

Hello!

You should ask this question of your physician. As with all exercise programs, a person needs to approach this with practicality. The movements are active exercise.

If I personally had cardiac problems (and I do have genetic cardio disorder; all my mom's family died of heart attacks), depending on the nature of those problems, if I were able to do cardio-active oriented exercises, I would practice this stuff religiously (and I do).

A story:

My mother had congestive heart failure and had 3 heart attacks. The doctors at the time told us she didn't have much time left. I did this Medical Qigong & Taoist Medicine therapy on her and showed her one of the exercises to do every day. Her heart lasted another 12 years - she passed on while I was away on a trip.

• Like 4

Ya Mu,

I have been dreaming about Stillness Movement Qigong, even though I never gave it much thought before. Upon awakening from a dream and having this on my mind, I decided I should go ahead and try it out, even though I already have a lot on my plate.

Do you have any recommendations or guidelines for internal martial arts practitioners who want to practice Gift of the Tao? Like, is it good to keep practices separate, or is it okay to do the exercises before/after Xing Yi/Bagua/Tai Chi practice?

I know Ya Mu will answer when he sees the post but I'll jump in with a comment or too (which are subject to later correction...)

Starting point can/should be the GOT I DVD as it documents the movements of the first set very nicely. A workshop is several orders of magnitude more effective and should be planned but there is great value in starting with the DVD -- in part because the exercises are very beneficial even before a workshop, and in part because having some basic concept of the movements before attending a workshop dramatically cuts the learning curve on that first morning in a workshop.

I strongly encourage practicing stillness-movement exclusively for at least the first 100 days. Doing otherwise certainly gives the system short-shrift (unless you have no time-commitments other than practicing...) and potentially creates some cross-purpose energetics. Michael has written/spoken favorably about some other practices and some of his students meld stillness-movement into previously-learned arts but I think what happens there is that stillness-movement becomes infused into those arts so that they become an element of the practitioner's stillness-movement rather than "a separate practice."

• Like 1

Case Study (part 1)

Co-worker (actually, she reports to one of my direct reports) had a knee replacement this week -- second knee as the other was done earlier this summer. She called me late last night to say that she had gotten out of her chair in her hospital room without assistance (against orders) and had fallen, breaking both tibia and fibula in that same leg. She is a large woman and at least one is a spiral fracture so they will be going in to set them. They had scheduled to operate this AM but delayed until this afternoon because of a more pressing trauma case that came in.

I visited her at lunchtime and spent nearly an hour with her. I told her about my medical qigong practice and offered to try to help without touching, and she readily agreed, telling me the hospital had already given her some lavender cream and had done some "healing touch" therapy. The nurse had just given her another dose of pain meds so I can't speak to pain management at this point, and she's all bandaged up from above her knee down to her toes so I can't say anything about swelling or coloration.

Anyhow, I started doing wai qi liao fa on her lower leg, with my intent on reducing inflammation and quieting overstimulated nerves (she knows she is injured so she doesn't need the constant internal alarm). I acted nonchalant a couple of times when nurse or CNA came in, 'cause they get funny about stuff like that... :)

After a few minutes on her injury, I moved up to her recently replaced knee. Soon, I moved back to her injury and, after a few more minutes, she said, "That's so strange."

Naturally, I asked if she was feeling something. She laughed and said it was probably nothing but she had forgotten to mention that she had twisted her ankle in the fall and that it was now suddenly feeling hot, all the way down to the bottom of her foot. I laughed, too, and moved my attention down to her ankle. After several more minutes, she told me it had stopped. I moved back to the broken bones for a few minutes and told her I'd return tomorrow, after they've set the bones.

I know from my earlier experience with my mother-in-law that I can help heal bone & tissue injuries so I expect her to have a rapid recovery (and we'll just let the hospital think it is all due to their excellent treatment).

(It is actually a really good hospital so I am in no way casting aspersions on them or their care.)

More to come...

• Like 2

Ya Mu,

I have been dreaming about Stillness Movement Qigong, even though I never gave it much thought before. Upon awakening from a dream and having this on my mind, I decided I should go ahead and try it out, even though I already have a lot on my plate.

Do you have any recommendations or guidelines for internal martial arts practitioners who want to practice Gift of the Tao? Like, is it good to keep practices separate, or is it okay to do the exercises before/after Xing Yi/Bagua/Tai Chi practice?

"I have been dreaming about Stillness Movement Qigong"

There is a reason for that. It is for you.

No problem with Hsing I. I used to practice Hsing I about an hour a day alongside Stillness-Movement & Gift of Tao.

When you start doing the Gift of the Tao movements you will see the Hsing I influence on their development, although the focus is entirely different as GOT is not a martial art but an energy art.

Nowadays I practice more Gift of Tao due to energetic efficiency - as in it is far more efficient at energetics than anything else I have found. I still occasionally practice the Hsing I, sometimes going for days in between practice sometimes doing it a bit everyday. No conflict.

Same with Tai Jee. I used to practice Chen Pan Ling style tai jee everyday alongside the Gift of Tao movements. But for the same reason as the Hsing I, I found energetic development and awareness development of the Gift of the Tao to be far more efficient than the tai jee so I now only do it sporadically.

It is interesting, however, that I can do the Gift of Tao in front on my horses and it lulls them into an extremely relaxed state with droopy jaws and hanging lips (anyone with horses will know what I am referring to). And these movements can become quite vigorous. Without thinking of anything on my part and with no muscle change on my part if I simply change into santi or do any of the elements or go into any of the tai jee the horses become full alert and the dominant one steps out to protect.

Try to get to a workshop.

The Hilton Head Island, South Carolina November 9,10,11 is going to be highly energetic and is also a great relaxation spot as the conference room and hotel are right on the ocean.

Brian said, "I think what happens there is that stillness-movement becomes infused into those arts so that they become an element of the practitioner's stillness-movement rather than "a separate practice." "

Yes, Once a person gets the Stillness-Movement practice then everything they do becomes an extension of it due to the energetic vibrational frequency.

• Like 7

We do "High Level healing". This is where the only thing we are concerned with is helping a person achieve his/her destiny. These reports are mostly reports of side-effects. The real "healing" occurs on an energy-body level and is usually beyond our mental interpretation. Although most times we see the results - many times this changes a persons view of who/what they are and where they are in life. Astounding changes we see.

I have worked on people with eye problems - but usually of a different nature than what you have. I can't remember anyone ever coming into my clinic and asking me to work on their nearsightedness.

I know I can see better after practicing Stillness-Movement and Gift of the Tao. And we do have a specific eye exercise in our system and a specific clinical qigong approach to eyes. I think the exercises, over a long term, would be more beneficial than any one session in clinic.

Hello!

You should ask this question of your physician. As with all exercise programs, a person needs to approach this with practicality. The movements are active exercise.

If I personally had cardiac problems (and I do have genetic cardio disorder; all my mom's family died of heart attacks), depending on the nature of those problems, if I were able to do cardio-active oriented exercises, I would practice this stuff religiously (and I do).

A story:

My mother had congestive heart failure and had 3 heart attacks. The doctors at the time told us she didn't have much time left. I did this Medical Qigong & Taoist Medicine therapy on her and showed her one of the exercises to do every day. Her heart lasted another 12 years - she passed on while I was away on a trip.

Thanks a lot - will try to do my best, cause when you are ill the life get more importance to you! THNX for ur advice!!

"I have been dreaming about Stillness Movement Qigong"

There is a reason for that. It is for you.

No problem with Hsing I. I used to practice Hsing I about an hour a day alongside Stillness-Movement & Gift of Tao.

When you start doing the Gift of the Tao movements you will see the Hsing I influence on their development, although the focus is entirely different as GOT is not a martial art but an energy art.

Nowadays I practice more Gift of Tao due to energetic efficiency - as in it is far more efficient at energetics than anything else I have found. I still occasionally practice the Hsing I, sometimes going for days in between practice sometimes doing it a bit everyday. No conflict.

Same with Tai Jee. I used to practice Chen Pan Ling style tai jee everyday alongside the Gift of Tao movements. But for the same reason as the Hsing I, I found energetic development and awareness development of the Gift of the Tao to be far more efficient than the tai jee so I now only do it sporadically.

It is interesting, however, that I can do the Gift of Tao in front on my horses and it lulls them into an extremely relaxed state with droopy jaws and hanging lips (anyone with horses will know what I am referring to). And these movements can become quite vigorous. Without thinking of anything on my part and with no muscle change on my part if I simply change into santi or do any of the elements or go into any of the tai jee the horses become full alert and the dominant one steps out to protect.

Try to get to a workshop.

The Hilton Head Island, South Carolina November 9,10,11 is going to be highly energetic and is also a great relaxation spot as the conference room and hotel are right on the ocean.

Brian said, "I think what happens there is that stillness-movement becomes infused into those arts so that they become an element of the practitioner's stillness-movement rather than "a separate practice." "

Yes, Once a person gets the Stillness-Movement practice then everything they do becomes an extension of it due to the energetic vibrational frequency.

I would love to come to a workshop, but unfortunately it isn't within my budget this year. Next year it will be one of my priorities. Do you plan to offer any more distance learning workshops in the future, as you did in Jan/Feb? Thanks

Case Study (part 2)

Case Study (part 1)

Co-worker ... had a knee replacement this week ... called me late last night to say ... (she) had fallen, breaking both tibia and fibula in that same leg...

<snip>

More to come...

Spent lunch hour doing sitting S-M and then went to see her after visitors had departed. PT was there so I waited (spent the time shielding and setting intent -- the Jethro Tull lyric "...to heal the wound and still the pain..." came to mind) while they did their routine and then asked her about pain levels and such. She described it as "off the chart but not as bad as when I got out of surgery" -- ankle, lower leg, knee and hip/lower-back.

We talked a bit about the importance of being diligent about her PT and then I did a little wai qi liao fa, projecting both "hot" and "cold" and periodically pulling out "sick chi" when it felt appropriate. For the first time (other than a glimpse in workshop while Michael was working on folks), I saw chi -- clear & luminous on my fingertips and dingy & smudged as it left the bottom of her foot.

At one point she told me she could feel where I was working and then, after about fifteen minutes (I worked on breaks, knee and ankle), she said, "I didn't think it would be cold."

I asked her to describe how cold and what it felt like and she told me she had been running a low-grade fever each time they checked today and that she had been felt sweaty and her leg had been very hot. She said it wasn't "cold" but it was no longer hot for the first time since surgery. I projected a little more energy to make up for what I'd displaced and pulled.

She was very heavy-lidded when I left.

On another note, "Grandma" (see my dog-bite posts earlier in this thread) had her final visit with the ortho surgeon yesterday and he said the bones were healed "100% perfectly" and the tissue damage had healed "100% perfectly." I asked my wife (who went to the appointment with her mother) to repeat what the doctor said and she told me he had used those exact words twice. Grandma has been very difficult on her PT/OT, however, and now has diminished use of that hand even though it wasn't injured, simply from not using it and not doing her exercises. :( You can't make someone help herself, though...

• Like 4

Good job!

I knew you would eventually start seeing the sick qi come out of people's bodies.

The cooling off comes from removing the sick qi.

• Like 1

I would love to come to a workshop, but unfortunately it isn't within my budget this year. Next year it will be one of my priorities. Do you plan to offer any more distance learning workshops in the future, as you did in Jan/Feb? Thanks

I may offer a distance class end of January 2014.

I am also in the process of attempting to set up a one-week intensive training in Stillness-Movement, Gift of Tao, Clinical Qigong & Taoist Medicine; this would include me picking up a person at the airport and offering a place to stay and meals.

I am trying to set this up due to the worldwide locations of students studying this system in order to provide better-more efficient access to the system.

Stay tuned...

• Like 10

Thanks. I found out that that nearsightedness is a function of muscles rather than health problem. But I think stillness movement might helped in some way in conjunction with the eye exercise and vision theraphy.

Thanks. I found out that that nearsightedness is a function of muscles rather than health problem. But I think stillness movement might helped in some way in conjunction with the eye exercise and vision theraphy.

I wear my glasses less and less...