Ya Mu

Chinese Taoist Medicine & Stillness-Movement Medical Qigong

I'm talking about the place of occurrence of consciousness, and the impact and ability to feel synonymous with the sense of place associated with consciousness, not the object of mind as the sixth sense organ. That's what I mean by "the place the mind is at the moment".

"humbleone" applied the practice I describe in "waking up and falling asleep" to discover an awareness of the place of his consciousness in the back of his head, and he found a recollection of a dream he had many years ago. Not an experience I have had, but there is something about the sense of location in connection with the occurrence of consciousness from moment to moment, and I suspect it's not so different from Listening, although I wouldn't know. Clearly, I already went so far as to say the place of mind was identically the circumstance and the healing approach, but that is based on my experience healing myself of nothing more than my own ignorance of my body and inability to sit the lotus. I'm embarassed, slightly.

Do you mean you had to heal yourself(psyche) in order to sit in a full lotus position? You didn't just stretch out until it worked? You know, i've had full blown bliss sitting on the edge of a chair doing Lama Yeshe's "Bliss of Inner Fire" You could give that a shot.

Ok, I follow you. In Cheng Man-Ch'ing's "Thirteen Chapters", he speaks of the stage of heaven, which consists of 1) listening to energy; 2) interpreting energy; 3) perfect clarity. Any relationship?

I think so as this is certainly a part of the Listening.

""humbleone" applied the practice I describe in "waking up and falling asleep" to discover an awareness of the place of his consciousness in the back of his head, and he found a recollection of a dream he had many years ago."

Possibly similar to how we get into a state to start our sleeping qigong in Stillness-Movement.

Edited by Ya Mu
  • Like 1

Do you mean you had to heal yourself(psyche) in order to sit in a full lotus position? You didn't just stretch out until it worked? You know, i've had full blown bliss sitting on the edge of a chair doing Lama Yeshe's "Bliss of Inner Fire" You could give that a shot.

I think quite possibly any meditative practice can bring about this type of experience. I have seen it with many different forms of meditation. Stillness-Movement can certainly bring this about as well, but it isn't a main goal.

• Like 1

""humbleone" applied the practice I describe in "waking up and falling asleep" to discover an awareness of the place of his consciousness in the back of his head, and he found a recollection of a dream he had many years ago."

I missed this, anyone have a link?

I think quite possibly any meditative practice can bring about this type of experience. I have seen it with many different forms of meditation. Stillness-Movement can certainly bring this about as well, but it isn't a main goal.

I agree, I just mean that results can come from any seated meditation position, if one happens to be difficult.

I agree, I just mean that results can come from any seated meditation position, if one happens to be difficult.

Oh yes, this has been my experience as well. In my students as well as myself I have not seen any difference in outcome from those that practiced full lotus, half lotus, seiza, crossed leg, or even in a chair as long as they didn't sit all the way back in the chair as this does dampen the response in our system.

• Like 1

I missed this, anyone have a link?

Hiya Creation.

You may want to PM Mark for that.

Possibly similar to how we get into a state to start our sleeping qigong in Stillness-Movement.

"Sleeping quigong", can you spare a few words about that?

There's definitely a state of mind that kicks in for me when I accept that I can be falling down, sleeping, standing up- and I find it helpful.

As to what I had to heal to sit the lotus, what I would say is that in 2005 I wrote that the movement of breath and the cranial-sacral rhythm place the occurrence of consciousness in such a way as to open an ability to feel. What that says to me is that by attending to the sense of location in the occurrence of consciousness, my natural well-being will open the appropriate ability to feel in my senses. From there, it's a case of my natural well-being healing both my body and my mind, as it were- experiences that allow me to remember what I need to attend to the sense of location in the occurrence of consciousness from moment to moment.

Greek, probably! here's the link, as close as I could get it, to humbleone's experience with his dream.

As to what I had to heal to sit the lotus, what I would say is that in 2005 I wrote that the movement of breath and the cranial-sacral rhythm place the occurrence of consciousness in such a way as to open an ability to feel. What that says to me is that by attending to the sense of location in the occurrence of consciousness, my natural well-being will open the appropriate ability to feel in my senses. From there, it's a case of my natural well-being healing both my body and my mind, as it were- experiences that allow me to remember what I need to attend to the sense of location in the occurrence of consciousness from moment to moment.

Mark, I am glad you are participating in this thread. I would urge you to focus your high octane mind and explore this Stillness movement. I for one would be curious what you make of it. imo there are common elements between your practice of "waking up and falling asleep" and Stillness movement.

I have publically stated elsewhere that kempomaster worked on my five year old daughter(distant healing). She suffered from eczema, small patches would show up on her hands, arms and legs. After just one session, the eczema stopped. I have before and after photos, I don't know what to make of it, it is all quite remarkable. The distant healings took place while my daughter was asleep. So no placebo effect etc.

To be fair to kempomaster :) , I should mention the healings were quite complex. my daughter also has a speech impediment(in speech therapy via her school) and tummy aches. All three areas are showing improvement, but eczema is the most striking due to its visual impact.

Edited by humbleone
  • Like 4

"Sleeping quigong", can you spare a few words about that?

Hi Mark,

The sleeping qigong we do is simply an extension of the sitting and standing neigong. It wouldn't and couldn't be a stand alone qigong.

It helps re-energize the body while we sleep and eventually leads to our dreaming neigong. Everything we do, including the therapeutics, is derived from the Stillness-Movement neigong. Nothing we do would have any validity without it.

• Like 1

I have publically stated elsewhere that kempomaster worked on my five year old daughter(distant healing). She suffered from eczema, small patches would show up on her hands, arms and legs. After just one session, the eczema stopped. I have before and after photos, I don't know what to make of it, it is all quite remarkable. The distant healings took place while my daughter was asleep. So no placebo effect etc.

Hey Kempomaster, what was your treatment protocol on this? Or Michael, how do you approach eczema or other skin problems?

Many things about consciousness, energetic laws, and techniques are found independently in different areas of the world so it is not surprising to find similar systems and descriptions.

Not that words themselves can not be useful but I find that I can only make attempts to describe these things with words. No matter how hard I try it always ends up being different than the thing I am referring to. In attempting to describe the non-linear we always end up with a linear thing which is not the event itself. The Chinese explanations contain many references which are not a part of western culture and couldn't be understood by the westerner from simple translation as the translation would not contain the experience itself. So it is up those those of us westerners who experience these things to attempt explanations for the western audience. Perhaps I will get better at it or perhaps it simply will always be a best attempt and not the thing itself and will always be experiential to the person practicing.

I'm encouraged by the fact that Godel was able to demonstrate that any language that can describe all of our experience will allow contradictions, and any language that will not contain contradictions cannot describe all of our experience. At least that's the way I interpret his incompleteness theorem. So the trick as I understand it is, not to try to describe everything, but to be consistent with what I do describe.

I'm elated that humbleone was able to find his sense of location shifting with his awareness as he was falling asleep. I'm not sure how to get the word out about that, I agree with him that I think there are a lot of people out there who would have an easier time getting back to sleep if they looked to follow their awareness from moment to moment. That he could find the same thing waking up, the sense of location shifting with awareness, also amazing. Should be easy to let everybody know, soon as I think of how!

I'm encouraged by the fact that Godel was able to demonstrate that any language that can describe all of our experience will allow contradictions, and any language that will not contain contradictions cannot describe all of our experience. At least that's the way I interpret his incompleteness theorem. So the trick as I understand it is, not to try to describe everything, but to be consistent with what I do describe.

I'm elated that humbleone was able to find his sense of location shifting with his awareness as he was falling asleep. I'm not sure how to get the word out about that, I agree with him that I think there are a lot of people out there who would have an easier time getting back to sleep if they looked to follow their awareness from moment to moment. That he could find the same thing waking up, the sense of location shifting with awareness, also amazing. Should be easy to let everybody know, soon as I think of how!

Hi Mark,

I can assure you that it is a most difficult thing educating people about things like this that work. I can also say that I believe it is worth facing these difficulties and encourage you to put forth the time & effort to do so because I sincerely believe that these type of techniques and understanding are most important in today's society.

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

I can assure you that it is a most difficult thing educating people about things like this that work. I can also say that I believe it is worth facing these difficulties and encourage you to put forth the time & effort to do so because I sincerely believe that these type of techniques and understanding are most important in today's society.

Hi, Ya Mu,

You and kempomaster are a great inspiration to me, it is great work that you are doing. I'd like to thank you for the description of the dan tian and light on your blog. Based on my own experiences and study, I can accept this explanation, and I will keep an eye open for what that means in my practice.

In many ways it's a higher power thing, educating people, but it helps to have some folks like you and kempomaster around that are performing what used to be called miracles, and are actually Eastern science (my opinion). I've read that John Upledger would say that, when he used cranial-sacral osteopathy to perform an amazing healing; it's not a miracle, it's just a kind of science that hasn't been explored and accepted by Western practitioners yet.

Edited by Mark Foote

Hi, Ya Mu,

You and kempomaster are a great inspiration to me, it is great work that you are doing. I'd like to thank you for the description of the dan tian and light on your blog. Based on my own experiences and study, I can accept this explanation, and I will keep an eye open for what that means in my practice.

In many ways it's a higher power thing, educating people, but it helps to have some folks like you and kempomaster around that are performing what used to be called miracles, and are actually Eastern science (my opinion). I've read that John Upledger would say that, when he used cranial-sacral osteopathy to perform an amazing healing; it's not a miracle, it's just a kind of science that hasn't been explored and accepted by Western practitioners yet.

We see all sorts of words thrown around with these type of practices. Words like "supernatural" etc. I totally agree with you. Stillness-Movement practice is entirely a natural system and one could say "natural science", even though we can't yet explain it with western science. Not that the Chinese need Western science to explain it as their explanation makes perfect sense, even to a westerner if one delves into what is meant by the words and doesn't get carried away with exact translations of each word. The medical qigong that follows the practice does an entirely natural thing. Although outcomes with the medical qigong are often perceived as "miraculous", this outcome is really just an application of this natural Eastern science in the same manner as when a western drug that is prescribed does it's job. For those of us that do this in clinic practice, these outcomes are just part of our job. I predict that one day western science will arrive to the place where qigong and medical qigong practices can be totally explained. I think this will be in some of my student's lifetime, although I would be glad to see it too. A physicist friend who practices Stillness-Movement medical qigong suggests string theory will arrive at this place.

• Like 1

I dig and found this

its worth to post since I can not remember to find it elsewhere on TB. Well how often do we see Michael in action.

Best,

Q

• Like 3

Hello All,

I just came back from Michael's seminar in Terre Haute, and I have to say it was a great experience for me. Michael packed in a lot of information in the 2 days I was there. On day one, Michael lit me up like a campfire within a minute of illustrating a point during his lecture. This was the second time I've had the privilege of having a palpable experience of chi projection. The heat that I experienced was as overt as the electrical shocks I got from Robert Peng. I felt a ball of heat at the base of my torso, then it felt like a tube of heat going up the middle of my body and into my neck and head. The sensation was most intense around my neck and then was harder to localize as it went up into my head. I was sweating quite a bit. Michael has impressive abilities. We spent a bit over an hour doing the sitting practice as he worked on adjusting us. We also did static standing practice, the Gift of Tao forms, as well as other goodies.

It was also great meeting kenpomaster, snowmonki, and the rest of the group.

Many thanks to Michael and all his students for making good medicine.

Cheers,

Rene'

Edited by rsalazar
  • Like 9

I also went to the Terre Haute seminar last weekend and I second Rene's sentiments. As Michael says, it is hard to write about, but my experiences there were incredible and at times even transformational. It was not what I had expected, though. I expected to be taught a new method of qigong, and on one level, I was. But the more incredible experience for me was not what I was taught, but what I was given. When we did the sitting and standing meditations, at first it didn't feel any different physically from any other sitting or standing I'd ever done before. The difference, I think, was truly a gift from the Tao.

I felt like, before the seminar, I had been sipping from a stream, and while I was there I was bathing in the river.

It surprised me because, I had gone there expecting to learn something and do something and discovered that, as Michael said (paraphrasing) "We don't do, we allow." The most extraordinary part of the seminar, for me, was discovering how simple qigong can (and perhaps should) be.

What I was given in Terre Haute, I've brought back with me to Iowa. In the next 100 days, I think I will let it grow. ;)

It was wonderful meeting Michael and everyone there and I look forward to seeing you folks again. Thank you all for adding to the energy we shared. May your practice thrive.

Yours,

Andrew

• Like 4

I also attended the Terre Haute workshop, it was an awesome experience and packed with useful stuff.

During the transmission, I felt some pulsating electric sensations in my perineum, then some magnetic feeling in my stomach (and other areas which i've forgotten) ... nothing crazy, I was expecting to be tossed around like the guy in the video but it was very subtle. After Michael walked away i felt some magnetic sensation behind me trying to pull me back. i did fall back 1 step but after that i stood my ground and a tug-o-war ensued. At first i thought it was Michael still working on me, but then i can hear him across the room working on someone else.

During the stillness-movement, it was 100 times easier to stop the mental chatter and feel the lower dantien. It felt like i was almost asleep (but not) during the sitting part, not used to the mind being so quiet. Definitely a practice I'm gonna stick with for the rest of my life.

My favorite was the tree qigong, definitely gonna have fun with trees everywhere i go. I had my first tree encounter in the sidewalk today, but there were ppl walking around so i didn't wanna look like a hippy treehugger. Can't wait to go camping and get some quality time alone with the trees ; )

Once i log more practice time, i'll be back for another workshop and hopefully i'll be ready to learn the walking/running qigong and taoist medicine. i can't wait!!!

Andrew, go for the Pho!!! I just made some today, delicious and msg-free.

Lewis

Edited by Cloud 9
  • Like 4

My lengthy post just got eaten my Al Gore's interw3bz so, with the benefit of hindsight, here is a greatly condensed version! :)

I also attended the workshop in Terre Haute. While I thought I was getting my money's worth on the first day by gaining a better understanding of the Stillness-Movement system and getting a better handle on the movements of the Gift of Tao qigong, it was mid-morning on the second day when a barrier was removed for me. Suddenly, I understood what chi really "felt like" and my energy body started to expand. My view of the world has changed and I have been practicing in one fashion or another for several hours each day. My ability to chieveve stillness is improving and I begin to feel energy gathering more quickly each day.

I greatly enjoyed this workshop and making some new friends! I look forward to continuing my practice and look forward to attending my next workshop later this year.

Hope to see you there!

Brian from Black Mountain

Edited by A Seeker
  • Like 5

Nice to hear that you were finally able to attend! :)

Hi, rv! :)

Life has been full but I have finally gotten things to the point where I can once again dedicate some time to my own interests, and this is at the top of the list. Especially after actually experiencing... well... what I experienced at the workshop, whatever that was. LOL

Perhaps I'll get to meet you at a workshop in the future!

• Like 1

Andrew, Don, Lewis & Brian,

You were each a joy to have in the workshop.

This is an amazing system where the people who practice achieve optimization of internal energetics and their energy body, as well as ability to help others utilizing internal/external energetics. I highly encourage you to set aside time each day for the practice. Attempt to balance out the internal Stillness-Movement sitting and standing with the Gift of the Tao movements.

Remember that in all systems some days are better than others; always has been and always will be.

Someone at the workshop instantly healed their dog when they got home. I wish they would share that here, simply amazing.

Our next workshop in June is at Dr Shealy's Holos Institutes. In addition to him being a famous neurologist and pioneer in energy medicine, he has built a unique structure in the Chapel where we will have the workshop. The building there is simply amazing with its timber frame construction with emphasis on energetics and with all the spiritual artifacts from most every spiritual tradition of the world.

• Like 6