Mal

Anyone here watched Avatar: The last Airbender ?

Just finished watching the finally last night. It is an excellent story with some really nice insights into the elements. If you liked to old tv series Kung Fu, things like Cowboy Be'bop and are into manga (even if Avatar is American) you would love this nicely layered "kids" comic series.

• Like 2

Avatar was one of my guilty pleasures... Only realized the connection to spirituality and the elements when Santiago said so.

According to Santiago, the movements correspond well to the attitudes of the elements. Like when they're "earthbending", the movements are very grounded, rooted, etc.

Wow, I can watch anime and convince myself that I'm practicing :D

Wow, I can watch anime and convince myself that I'm practicing :D

hehehe, but honestly it's more educational than most stuff on TV.

My partner D brought it home and said, "Every Taoist should watch this" and I'm like "D it's not even real manga" it's even using the "wrong " element set (personally I prefer Earth Air Fire Water to the Chinese system, but that because I am more familiar with them)

Good character development and nice "zen moments" with Zuko and Iroh and the element stuff just got deeper and deeper. Thanks for pointing out Santi's post, I had missed it.

We recognized the water bending as Tai Chi, single whip is hard to miss! Toph is obviously close to my heart with her Tong Long but all the stuff has excellent choreography and looks just as good as any movie.

And I hope the live action movie turns out o.k. could be great if it takes off.

My Fiance has an affinity for cartoons, especially this one. She 'made' me sit down and watch the final movie/episode and I was very surprised as some of the things going on... you can definitely see where some of the ideas came from... and it's entertaining (haven't watched it since that one time but I wouldn't be opposed to it).

Just my 2c not-really-substance contribution ;)

Great show, not only entertaining but it led to some good discussion with my kids on element theory, right/wrong, honor, redemption etc..

Michael

I swear i think they spoke with , Pak Muhammad, Dr Glenn Morris & my Bon po & Nyingma teachers when they wrote that show.

Most of what is in there is very KAP.

• Like 1

Oh crap now I'm going to have to take a look at this shit after reading these reviews. I wish I never looked into this topic. :lol:

Nice find Mal ... LOL ... Gunna have to buy all the dvds. Only saw a couple of episodes here and there.

He Ha have fun Pero

I really enjoyed this

This one is for Stig

:)

Nice find Mal ... LOL ... Gunna have to buy all the dvds. Only saw a couple of episodes here and there.

You can watch all the episode online. I did it and it's not illegal...I hope...

Oh crap now I'm going to have to take a look at this shit after reading these reviews. I wish I never looked into this topic. :lol:

He Ha have fun Pero

And so 10 months later I finally checked this out hehe, watched all three seasons in just a few days. And it was fun. :D

My favourite character was probably Iroh. Oh and Ty Lee.

I liked what the lion turtle said, though I couldn't understand anything while I was watching, I had to search for the quote online.

"A true mind can weather all lies and illusions without being lost. A true heart can touch the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since the beginnings of time, darkness thrives in the void, but will always yield to purified light."

"In the era before the avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves. To bend another's energy, your own spirit must be unbendable, or you will be corrupted and destroyed."

And so 10 months later I finally checked this out hehe, watched all three seasons in just a few days. And it was fun. :D

My favourite character was probably Iroh. Oh and Ty Lee.

I liked what the lion turtle said, though I couldn't understand anything while I was watching, I had to search for the quote online.

Yup I looved this series ... Iroh was my fav too ... kinda like Laozi he was :) Will be buying the dvds for my Granddaughter.

• Like 1

I watched the entire series with my daughter. It led to some great discussions about chi and chakras. I wish I had a show that talked about chakras when I was 11.

Edited by jaloo

I liked Toph.

She was a blind earthbending master at the age of 12 who surpassed her master and invented metal bending. When Aang found her she was the undefeated underground fighting champ. Toph was the baddest one on that show.

I am so happy that I was convinced to watch this show. :D

I particularly enjoyed Iroh's explanation on how to receive the lightning technique into the dan tien in order to ground it before turning it around on his enemy.

I would love to see them make an Air Scroll (extra season or animated movie) to show Ang rebuilding the Air Nation and training new air benders.

• Like 1

Actually one of the best scenes out of the series was when the Earth King Bumi says:

250px-Aang_and_King_Bumi.png

Bumi: Listen to me Aang. There are options in fighting called Jin; it's a choice of how you direct your energy.

Aang: I know. There's positive Jin when you are attacking and negative Jin when you are retreating.

Bumi: And neutral Jin when you do ... NOTHING!

Aang: There are three Jins?

Bumi: Well technically there are 85 but let's just focus on the third. Neutral Jin is the key to Earth bending, it involves listening and waiting for the right moment to strike.

Which is basically the Taijiquan "Tien Jin":

"Tien Jin" or Listening Jin is not done with the ears, but rather with the body. From the martial aspect, we listen with the skin so as to detect what an opponent might be doing from the moment we make contact, usually with the forearm, palm or foot.

Dennis Watts

• Like 2

Actually one of the best scenes out of the series was when the Earth King Bumi says:

250px-Aang_and_King_Bumi.png

Which is basically the Taijiquan "Tien Jin":

There is also a way to read your opponent before he/she strikes if one is completely relaxed and fearless (blissfully focused), one can actually see the energetic exertions before they manifest physically.

:)

p.s. one is in an open receptivity.

Edited by Vajrahridaya
  • Like 1

Anyone here watched Avatar: The last Airbender ?

Just finished watching the finally last night. It is an excellent story with some really nice insights into the elements. If you liked to old tv series Kung Fu, things like Cowboy Be'bop and are into manga (even if Avatar is American) you would love this nicely layered "kids" comic series.

The man that did the Chinese calligraphy, in the last airbender, Dr. Siu Leung Lee (PhD in Organic chemistry) writes under this name: SL Lee at http://www.asiawind.com/forums/list.php?f=2

You will need to sign in to send him a message but I think that Dr. Lee would like to hear how the show is being accepted in the western culture.

There are a few people in his family that are named Siu Leung Lee - it means Little Dragon Lee - the most famous is Bruce Lee. http://www.12hk.com/area/TST/BruceLeeStatu...G_1899_w600.jpg

Well so I guess watching too much isn't so good, I had two really weird nightmares today and one of them was with the avatar... It seemed like I was Kitara (hard to tell sometimes in my dreams).

Me, Sokka and Aang were going somewhere. We had to swim underwater for a while, then went through a forest. There we were caught by some soldiers. All fine till here, but now it gets weird. They threatened us and I suddenly got behind Aang and placed a large sword on the floor in front of him, after which I pushed him on it. While he was standing there pierced, I pulled a shorter sword and cut off his head with one cut. After his body hit the floor I threw myself on the floor next to him and cried like crazy. Sokka was just watching in shock. And the soldiers left.

Then it seemed like it was all some kind of trick, but I can't say for sure because noises started to wake me up and so the dream didn't finish.

Hey if you like the avatar check this out you can watch the whole series here i built this whole site from scratch. You can sign up have friends and all that good stuff. Nothing makes it on my site if its not cool.

check out the trailer for the coming avatar movie. looks pretty sweet. :lol:

http://www.badassanime.com/view/2730/the-l...teaser-trailer/

The regular series.

http://www.badassanime.com/view/2710/avata...ok-1-chapter-1/

Edited by thunder mind

Hey if you like the avatar check this out you can watch the whole series here i built this whole site from scratch. You can sign up have friends and all that good stuff. Nothing makes it on my site if its not cool.

check out the trailer for the coming avatar movie. looks pretty sweet. :lol:

http://www.badassanime.com/view/2730/the-l...teaser-trailer/

The regular series.

http://www.badassanime.com/view/2710/avata...ok-1-chapter-1/

Cool, thanks. Funny enough there is a movie called Avatar in the making that's completely unrelated.