Sign in to follow this  
JackSquat

Poll: non-Taoist influences

For the past few weeks I have had a little more free time than usual, and I have been wondering: what guides the Tao Bums besides Taoism? I myself have special places in my heart reserved for Castaneda and Nietzsche. Music also plays a vital role in my life. Tell me, which reflections of the Sun speak to you the loudest?

nothing inspires. its all useless, and im leaving and taking my posts with me.

Edited by ron7786

The Shurangama Sutra and Mantra.

Master Hsuan Hua's talks & explanations

Medicine Buddha/Bhaisajya Guru Vaidurya Prabha

Avalokiteshvara/Guan Yin Pusa

1000-Armed-Avalokiteshvara.jpg

Edited by mat black

Even though it may seem like a contradiction. I like the writings of Confucius with Taoism. While indeed they do represent different ways of looking at the world. I like them both. Perhaps it is because I dont follow either as a strict religion but more as what they are supposed to be, philosophies. I learn from them.

I understand -- it doesn't seem like a contradiction to me at all :) .

The ORIGINAL teachings of the Buddha (impermenance, four noble truths, eightfold path).

Jiddhu Krishnamurti

The Gospel Of St Thomas

Ah, the Gnostic Gospels...very cool! I read this one years ago and it really blew me away. If only more Christians would read it perhaps this world would be a better place.

Mat Black, I am familiar with none of those, and xuesheng, I have not heard the name of Anthony de Mello in a long time. Good, I was hoping someone would give me something to research :D .

I love it! Keep them coming, everyone!

Jiddu Krishnamurti and Anthony DeMello

Ditto! Both have been very helpful.

In addition, Wu Wei Wu Wei Wu Wei and Sri Paramhamsa Nithyananda.

Edit: It's Wei Wu Wei (Action Non Action). As an aside, his writing style is a bit difficult at first but whether intentional or not caused me to really think, almost line by line, and really examine what he was trying to convey. I found that practice alone worth reading his works.

Edited by Unconditioned

I understand -- it doesn't seem like a contradiction to me at all :) .

Ah, the Gnostic Gospels...very cool! I read this one years ago and it really blew me away. If only more Christians would read it perhaps this world would be a better place.

Mat Black, I am familiar with none of those, and xuesheng, I have not heard the name of Anthony de Mello in a long time. Good, I was hoping someone would give me something to research :D .

I love it! Keep them coming, everyone!

To be fair, the gnostic gospels ARE a later invention....period.

Ditto! Both have been very helpful.

Wow, lots of Jiddhu Krishnamurti fans it seems.

In addition, Wu Wei Wu Wei Wu Wei and Sri Paramhamsa Nithyananda.

Edit: It's Wei Wu Wei (Action Non Action). As an aside, his writing style is a bit difficult at first but whether intentional or not caused me to really think, almost line by line, and really examine what he was trying to convey. I found that practice alone worth reading his works.

Perhaps you should try a different translation ;):D

To be fair, the gnostic gospels ARE a later invention....period.

As opposed to, say, the Apocrypha :) ?

Actually, I thought the jury was still out on the Gospel of Thomas specifically. Just out of curiosity, do you have any references for articles etc.?

Don't get me wrong, I can't blame them too much for rejecting a document that flies in the face of their accepted beliefs. Then again, there are probably Christians out there reading it as we speak, and really enjoying it; after all, I used to be one of them...long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away :lol: .

Edit: grammar

Edited by JackSquat

It' kinda crazy, methinks... Here's a sample: for activities related to survival, i always turn to nagualism's intent, impecabillity, and stalking the petty tyrant. After the survival phase passed, i turn to dao practice, that helps me develop and expand. Nagualism is my contracting state, Dao practice is my expanding state. They both work.

It' kinda crazy, methinks... Here's a sample: for activities related to survival, i always turn to nagualism's intent, impecabillity, and stalking the petty tyrant. After the survival phase passed, i turn to dao practice, that helps me develop and expand. Nagualism is my contracting state, Dao practice is my expanding state. They both work.

The Tao of the impeccable warrior B) ! I think you and I may be very much alike :D .

*Buddhism

*Spirits of Nature

*Light

*Goodness

975rhx.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, could you be a little more specific on how the Spirits of Nature inspire your practice? I'm very curious -- nature is an important part of my practice too.

nothing inspires. its all useless, and im leaving and taking my posts with me.

I've been there, believe me; but nihilism is just plain no fun. Finally I decided that it was equally pointless to be entirely without inspiration and motivation, so I resolved to invent my own philosophy/religion/system. That was the moment my spirituality took on a life of its own, and since then, life has been getting steadily more interesting as I collect useful tidbits from everything I encounter :D . It began as nothing more than an exercise, a gesture; now I doubt I could stop it if I tried :lol: .

Perhaps I am taking you more seriously than you intended, but walk your path, follow your heart, and don't lose yourself -- just remember (and I cannot stress this enough):

"He who is not a bird should not build his nest over abysses."

~Nietzsche

I like the Bible...but don't prefer most parts of Christianity.

I like the Dhammapada...Maitreya's translation.

Awareness watching awareness meditation when done in the right way.

Logical thinking.

People in general.

Siberian, Mongolian, Manchu, Native American shamanism.

Some Tibetan buddhism, particularly its healing and magical practices used by Emchi Lamas.

Biophysics, biochemistry, chaos, fractals, cognitive neuroscience, non-syndicated history.

so many people, so many practices, so many places, so many events

each of them being so high or so low, so soft or so hard, so heavy or so light, so dark and so bright

all of them containing a piece of the never ending puzzle of life and death :)

Sign in to follow this