Sign in to follow this  
RajG

Tickle in Neck and Back when meditating

Folks,

Need some advice or words or wisdom here. I have just started to medidate after a long hiatus and am experiencing a "tickling like" sensation in the back of my head and down my back.

I know this may seem ridiculous but it is so distracting that I cannot stand it and have to stop meditating. The only position I don't experience this in is when I lay down to meditate but that is not my preferred method.

Appreciate any words of wisdom.

Thanks,

Raj

Have you tried standing?

My personal opinion is that a lot of the strange sensations we get in meditation are due to nerve root irritations from slightly poor posture in the spine.

Have you tried standing?

My personal opinion is that a lot of the strange sensations we get in meditation are due to nerve root irritations from slightly poor posture in the spine.

Scotty, thanks for the follow-up. Yep tried standing...same thing. Laying down is the only time I don't feel it.

Sounds like your spinal channels and energy centers are opening up. I've heard that its easier for rear energy centers to open up as opposed to frontal. If it gets stronger or begins to spread to other energy centers, that would pretty much confirm this is true.

Folks,

Need some advice or words or wisdom here. I have just started to medidate after a long hiatus and am experiencing a "tickling like" sensation in the back of my head and down my back.

I know this may seem ridiculous but it is so distracting that I cannot stand it and have to stop meditating. The only position I don't experience this in is when I lay down to meditate but that is not my preferred method.

Appreciate any words of wisdom.

Thanks,

Raj

Can you describe the tickle a bit more. Does it move up/down. Is it pleasant/unpleasant.???

Can you describe the tickle a bit more. Does it move up/down. Is it pleasant/unpleasant.???

The tickle is not unpleasant...just distracting. I feel it at the top of my spine like at the base of my head and my mid back. The best way to describe is if someone was close to me breathing on my neck if that makes sense.

Just some background I also experience sleep paralysis which I am now actively trying to use to see if it can lead to an OBE...or whatever. I am also actively trying to cultivate chi energy by redirecting sexual energy and breathing. With all that I am still very much the novice.

Thanks again.

Guest sykkelpump

The tickle is not unpleasant...just distracting. I feel it at the top of my spine like at the base of my head and my mid back. The best way to describe is if someone was close to me breathing on my neck if that makes sense.

Just some background I also experience sleep paralysis which I am now actively trying to use to see if it can lead to an OBE...or whatever. I am also actively trying to cultivate chi energy by redirecting sexual energy and breathing. With all that I am still very much the novice.

Thanks again.

If you meditate correct (need some practice) you will cultivate a lot of chi.Dont force anything it will only slow down your energy circulation.Dont do it standing,it is IMPORTENT that the body relaxes compleaty when meditating.Just do it lying down in the beginning,It think it will dissapear after a while.And then you can sit.

Read this,it wil give you a good basic understanding of meditation:

http://meditationexpert.com/ebok/howtomeditate.pdf

Thanks again.

Hard to comment at a distance like this but I feel the following.

Don't know what meditation you are doing but I think it is important NOT to change posture by standing or lying down or anything - especially if this is chi cultivation. As one of my teachers used to say 'doesn't matter just keep going' - distraction, pain/itches/tingling and strange feelings are a constant feature of meditation but it is important not to follow them mentally but remain with what ever you were doing originally, watching breath, visualization or just formless - whatever. Persist, do what you can, rest - have another go - don't give up.

Guest sykkelpump

Hard to comment at a distance like this but I feel the following.

Don't know what meditation you are doing but I think it is important NOT to change posture by standing or lying down or anything - especially if this is chi cultivation. As one of my teachers used to say 'doesn't matter just keep going' - distraction, pain/itches/tingling and strange feelings are a constant feature of meditation but it is important not to follow them mentally but remain with what ever you were doing originally, watching breath, visualization or just formless - whatever. Persist, do what you can, rest - have another go - don't give up.

The purpose of meditation is chi cultivation.And there is nothing wrong with lying down in the beginning.The main thing is to calm the mind in the beginning.You can fix the posture later

Sign in to follow this