Gerard

Kimbo Slice down

Honestly, I think Kimbo Slice was overhyped, and the sad thing is it WASN'T KIMBO'S FAULT.

Look at Kimbo's fights prior to his entering the pro MMA circuit. Those were real fights... just the rules and the fighters he was against was a bit different.

Kimbo needed time to adjust and to train for difference circumstances, but I think that due to certain media pressures ("zomg an internet dude irls letz make this live so we can put MMA into mainstream, yeah, EliteXC or whatever the heck we are, let's go with kimbo at the head!") he was forced to go in too early. Kimbo's hype got out of hand, and that put kimbo in over his head too fast. I think given the right amount of time and training Kimbo could have done well.

Look at Brock Lesnar in UFC, everyone was making a big deal about him moving from wrestling to MMA, but one of his earliest fights he lost (maybe his first UFC fight?) To be honest I think that put the breaks on the media circus around him. They were like, "okay he lost" then moved on. I think that let Brock take some chill time to keep training and adjust to the octagon.

But with Kimbo... the first televised fight of his I saw, yes, he won, but he did so sloppily. I said this in an MMA forum, I said that what he needed to do was get a handle on the media and not let them overhype him. If they did that he would get put in fights he wasn't ready for. And guess what? He got put in a fight he wasn't ready for... and on TOP of that, his opponent changed at the last minute. A fighter who 1) isn't used to those conditions and 2) has barely won his existing fights did NOT need to be fighting an unknown guy under those conditions.

I think that if people let Kimbo mature away from the media he could be a great fighter. He has the raw fighting experience, the attitude, the body, he just needs to adapt to his environment.

That being said... do a simple youtube search on "fasted UFC knockouts" or "fasted knockout ever" and you'll see fights from all kinds of competitions, boxing, kickboxing, MMA, TKD, Karate, backyard brawls, street fights, school yard brawls... in EVERYTHING there is a super fast knockout. It happens.

The knockout itself was what it was. If you look at the slow-mo replay, you can see Kimbo swinging, his opponent kicks him low in the abdomen or the legs, and his legs go back but his upper body and head keeps moving forward, nothing to stabilize him, he runs into a punch... you know it happens.

But if you look at Kimbo's earlier fights, he didn't fight guys who threw lots of kicks. These guys had huge arms and hard fists and swung them. But that kick took out Kimbo's balance and made him go somewhere he didn't want to go.

That's why I said he needs to adapt.

But it's funny because it's only now that people are realizing the beauty of the legs in a fight. If you search for high school fights or street fights you see guys (even grown men) whose strategy is to put their head down and start swinging. If they get grabbed or their head gets pushed down, they just swing somewhere above them. But just the other day I saw a vid where some guy had his head down swinging, he got grabbed, but he kept swinging... then took a knee to the face. I was shocked because that's the first time in a street fight I had ever seen someone do that :lol: it's like there's some unwritten street fighting brawler's rule that you can't kick, I guess because kicking is for girls... riiiiiight.... yeah, tell that to the guy who took a knee to the face and all the people who have been ko'd by a kick to the head or have sustained broken ribs :lol:

Anyway yeah those are my ideas in as short a space/slightly rantish way I can give.

I think he was momentarily knocked out by Petruzelli's punch...which can happen to anyone. Of course, if he were better he could've avoided it, maybe, but who is perfect?

I don't think it means his stardom was a charade. Maybe he's not the greatest fighter in the universe of all time like some people thought, but he's not an unworthy opponent just because he got hit in the right way.

That's my opinion.

the other guy broke his vertical plane and alignment by foot jabbing kimbo's thigh. the rest is "ground & pound".

Edited by Vajrasattva

I think the fight was called off too soon. Yeah, Kimbo was taking a lot of heavy hits, but just look at him! He wasn't out. He was trying to get back up. (Honestly, I'm a little bitter about this fight because my friends and I waited for hours to see the fight between Shamrock and Kimbo, only to see Shamrock wimp out and Kimbo get screwed.) I think if they had let it go a little longer, Kimbo would've cleaned the guys clock. And shouldn't this be in the Off-topic section? :D

The knockout itself was what it was. If you look at the slow-mo replay, you can see Kimbo swinging, his opponent kicks him low in the abdomen or the legs, and his legs go back but his upper body and head keeps moving forward, nothing to stabilize him, he runs into a punch... you know it happens.

But that kick took out Kimbo's balance and made him go somewhere he didn't want to go.

Sounds right to me. Could have happened to anyone; two strikes launch more or less simultaneously, the one that gets there first wins. It was probably almost a coincidence that the exchange happened to work out really well for Petruzelli; of course, if Kimbo had any kicks in his arsenal or was used to watching for them, he might not have gotten his punch jammed up or even tried to throw one from so far out. It looked kinda like he thought Petruzelli was going to put his knee back down, like it was a feint.

But it's funny because it's only now that people are realizing the beauty of the legs in a fight. If you search for high school fights or street fights you see guys (even grown men) whose strategy is to put their head down and start swinging. If they get grabbed or their head gets pushed down, they just swing somewhere above them. But just the other day I saw a vid where some guy had his head down swinging, he got grabbed, but he kept swinging... then took a knee to the face. I was shocked because that's the first time in a street fight I had ever seen someone do that :lol: it's like there's some unwritten street fighting brawler's rule that you can't kick, I guess because kicking is for girls... riiiiiight.... yeah, tell that to the guy who took a knee to the face and all the people who have been ko'd by a kick to the head or have sustained broken ribs :lol:

A phenomenon my jiu jitsu teacher used to call "head hunting" :D . Not something you can count on if your opponent has any training whatsoever, of course.

I think the fight was called off too soon. Yeah, Kimbo was taking a lot of heavy hits, but just look at him! He wasn't out. He was trying to get back up.

If you look at his hands, though, he was not protecting himself (aka "turtling up") whatsoever. That's more or less an instant TKO in MMA; reason being, you can get stunned without actually being unconscious, and after a few seconds walk around looking to the audience like you're just fine, but for those first few seconds especially you might as well be a zombie punching bag. If that was the case, if they had kept going the only thing that would have happened differently is that Kimbo would be even bloodier. My guess is that the ref was holding on to him and talking to him at the end there because he was still dazed (plus they said something about Kimbo trying to shoot at the ref to take him down -- HE THOUGHT HE WAS STILL IN THE FIGHT!) The ref gave him a couple of seconds to start protecting his head, but he probably called it when he saw blood over the eye and no turtling up. Looked like a good regulation call to me, but I could be wrong.

Very cool, I hadn't actually seen the fight yet! Poor little Kimbo :lol: ... the plus side is that he probably made more money in ten seconds than most of us make in a month.

honestly he's an overrated guy if you notice kimbo had alot of matches with guys that were either wasted up or inexperience(remember the backyard fight, where the guy gets his eye knock out?) if you notice dudes with experience son kimbo all the time honestly i think he should go back to the the basics and work on some submission moves....cant always win with a knockout