Sign in to follow this  
mouse

Flashy don't cut it

Hi All,

An interesting video I chanced upon today. Not sure what the text says if anyone can translate it would be appreciated.

Reminds me of wushu... and in an odd way, the saying, "empty vessels make the most noise."

Enjoy your practice,

mouse

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Guys that was a movie...

It was a scene from "Never Back Down" (or something like that)

One of the extras used for the crowd probably got it on camera ('cause you know, extras want to have proof they were an extra, their claim to fame :lol: and it's not like it detracted from the scene anyway).

So yeah... not real.

And a terrible movie anyway. I like MMA for what it is, but I don't think that movie did MMA much justice...

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Reminds me of wushu...

I'm pretty sure it's capoeira.

That dude is redonkulous! The control is amazing.

Pretty sure you're right about that first clip being from Never Back Down though.

Yup it was from Never Back Down. The movie was pretty bad. :lol:

Capoeira is awesome, and the video JackSquat posted shows a super talented guy...but I would never use those techniques in a fight. :lol:

Yup it was from Never Back Down. The movie was pretty bad. :lol:

Capoeira is awesome, and the video JackSquat posted shows a super talented guy...but I would never use those techniques in a fight. :lol:

Yeah JackSquat, that was a cool video.

I'm pretty sure it's capoeira.

Yeah I am pretty sure it is capoeira too.... I meant that the style is lacks substance in a martial sense ... like wushu...

They telegraph their moves too much for it to be effective it seems. But maybe someone who does it well can enlighten me.

A couple of kicks in the video look good but lacks good connection to the ground. Is easily uprooted in my opinion. But then again I don't train kicks.

Enjoy your practice,

mouse

Yeah I am pretty sure it is capoeira too.... I meant that the style is lacks substance in a martial sense ... like wushu...

They telegraph their moves too much for it to be effective it seems. But maybe someone who does it well can enlighten me.

A couple of kicks in the video look good but lacks good connection to the ground. Is easily uprooted in my opinion. But then again I don't train kicks.

Enjoy your practice,

mouse

it does things from a different philosophy.

it's music, dance, acrobatics, fitness, fun, socializing and a bit of "martialness" as a natural side effect.

and originally it was a sort of training regiment by slaves disguised as a dance.

trying to fit a comparison seems a bit surreal and non-applicable to me

It would have been fine bullshit if he had actually connected to his "opponent" in ANY way whatsoever, some sense of rhythm and timing outside of his own little universe perhaps? complete illusion until the point of release.

Edited by Spectrum

Sign in to follow this