Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

heavy exercise after acupuncture

So I have acupuncture scheduled for tomorrow, and tonight found out that this purple belt I met about a year ago when I was first visiting my BJJ school (really great teacher) is coming in from out of town...tomorrow.

My acu place has a 24 hour cancellation policy, so I could probably just pay the fee and reschedule, but I was just wondering, how come you're not supposed to work out hard after acupuncture? What happens? Does it totally negate the treatment, or just make it mildly less effective?

I've looked online and it appears that a variety of places say different things. Some say exercise isn't contraindicated, some say not to do any heavy exercise for 24 hours after a treatment, and some simply say to avoid it 2 hours before and after a treatment.

My appointment is at 4 and will likely end at 5 or 5:30, and my class is at 6...but we mostly drill for the first hour or longer and probably won't get to the strenuous part until 7 anyway... so am leaning towards trying to get both in. Also I can always set out the live roll (but once I get there I know I won't want to...)

Anyway, just hoping for words of wisdom and knowledge from a bunch o' bums. :)

So I have acupuncture scheduled for tomorrow, and tonight found out that this purple belt I met about a year ago when I was first visiting my BJJ school (really great teacher) is coming in from out of town...tomorrow.

My acu place has a 24 hour cancellation policy, so I could probably just pay the fee and reschedule, but I was just wondering, how come you're not supposed to work out hard after acupuncture? What happens? Does it totally negate the treatment, or just make it mildly less effective?

I've looked online and it appears that a variety of places say different things. Some say exercise isn't contraindicated, some say not to do any heavy exercise for 24 hours after a treatment, and some simply say to avoid it 2 hours before and after a treatment.

My appointment is at 4 and will likely end at 5 or 5:30, and my class is at 6...but we mostly drill for the first hour or longer and probably won't get to the strenuous part until 7 anyway... so am leaning towards trying to get both in. Also I can always set out the live roll (but once I get there I know I won't want to...)

Can only tell you a little from personal experience?

I like acupuncture. Helps a lot for me?

Life doesn't allow me to take it easy after i get it though!

Usually end up with having to move furniture, have a class, work, or whatever!

The things I notice are ~

1. I don't tend to think as clearly as I'd like to after a session!

2. My reaction times are NOT as quick as they usually are after a session.

3. I get a, um, bit, goofier? and foggy headed, sometimes comfortably tired.

4. I am Much to Much, way far to honest after a session, I don't really care what i say, lol!

5. In other words, what i'm trying to say is all these things attribute

me getting hurt much easier after a session!

Also I tend to bruise real easy around the insertion points.

Have these prayer beads I like to ware on my wrist.

Had acupuncture from a friend this past week and now all along the inside of my wrist is bruised!

He had needled pericardium 6 (like 3 fingers up on the center/inside of the wrist)

and it's all totally black and blue now! ewww.

I should know better!

Ask your acupuncturist also, see what he/she says about it!

... If i do any kind of cupping or anything like that I am much more gentle on myself.

Stay well,

Shon

Have fun!

My acupuncturists say just to avoid heavy exercise, but only when I asked them... I shouldn't have asked! LOL.

There are a lot of things that you will get mixed responses from acupuncturists about. We usually advise against heavy exercise after treatment because the idea with acupunture is the needles are used to direct your Qi in a specific way. When you exercise your Qi is either scattered or directed toward whatever limbs or muscles you are working with the exercise.

That said, some patients at our clinic do fine exercising (moderately) before or after treatment. Others (especially deficient patients) feel exhausted if they exercise on the day of a treatment (before or after). It doesn't seem to "negate" the treatment, but it does seem to be more draining on the patient. According to some of our instructors it does lessen the effect of the treatment.

Any kind of energy treatment requires some time for the body to respond to the input and equilibrate. You can tune into your body's own need in that regard, instead of applying a strict rule. But generally, it's good to rest a bit afterward, and at least pay attention to your body and allow some space for things to settle.

-Karen

I asked my acupuncturist about it again, and he said it really depends on what you are being treated for. Then he told me to go work out. :lol: But I'm so zenned out right now I don't know if I want to. I think I can probably go train in a mindful way instead of going insane, though. Mostly I just want to see an old friend.

I asked my acupuncturist about it again, and he said it really depends on what you are being treated for. Then he told me to go work out. :lol: But I'm so zenned out right now I don't know if I want to. I think I can probably go train in a mindful way instead of going insane, though. Mostly I just want to see an old friend.

Let us know how you felt after the acupuncture working out.

I tell clients to go home and take a meditative nap after a session.

The classic saying is "No Sex, No alcohol, No bamboo shoots" after acupuncture. After a session I aways promised faithfully I would eat no bamboo shoots.

LOL. I know acupuncture and alcohol don't mix well--not from my own experience but from that of others. They say it just feels really strange and off. Of course I think it'd probably depend on your tolerance level as a beer with dinner for some people is kind of like drinking water... not me of course, as I am a lightweight!

I have never heard the no sex rule... but I mostly only see my boyfriend on non-acupuncture days so don't have to worry about it. lol

My acupuncture session was super intense, with my acupuncturist hitting some points on my fingers and toes... He made me cough when he put in the needles to confuse my nervous system! It didn't hurt. He said my pulse was rapid and slippery and I forget what four things he said he was treating but spleen and pericardium were in there...or was it stomach and pericardium? Anyway I only had finger, toe and forehead points and it was super intense and was great. I was all blissed out and I was kind of dragging my feet and got to class late, and we started by practicing some drills... I felt like I was physically able to go pretty hard but mentally I needed to be reminded. I worked with some of the younger boys too which was a bit of a break for me because they weigh less than me and have limited technique, and it's nice to be able to help others improve their game. Also the guys I rolled with were super cool today. I am sore but I feel good, and still blissed out. I am guessing the reason he told me I was okay to work out today is because he was doing such a deep treatment. Next time I go in though I'm going to avoid training afterwards.

Sign in to follow this