mewtwo

Tummo?

Best $400 (aus) I've spent, and I'm not even finished yet.

Although my Tao bum subscription is darn good value too :)

Tummo classes are pretty rare. Its hard to find good information on it. I'm in the KAP class. I'm making slow progress, some of the other guys seem to have found the burn though.

I wonder if there is an Indian equivalent? I assume there is. If you have any local tribes nearby you should ask them about it. On a less exotic front you can start calling yoga schools and tai chi schools, there may be an eclectic teacher out there who doesn't advertise.

Yours

Michael

So you want to be warm? :)

Have you tried to actually warm up using the mind? Next time you get cold hands outside, without moving your hands (that would be cheating), use the mind like this -- visualize warmth engulfing you within and without. You can do it with or without the flame symbolism. There are many ways. One way is to imagine that the weather is warm, this completely changes the cold at a very fundamental level. You can actually change the weather that way sometimes. A shallower level is to continue believing that it's cold outside, but to imagine the warmth streaming from within you.

How effective this will be is going to depend on how strongly your mind is affected by the physicalist doctrine. If you'd done a lot of contemplation and have weakened your physicalist beliefs, it should be easier than if you still believe in physicalism.

If you continue to practice you will notice that with time it becomes easier to settle into the warmth concentration and the warmth becomes less inhibited, as you permit yourself to feel it more and more.

To make it complete, feel the softness in yourself. Feel the life. The juiciness of life. Soft hands. Soft relaxed body. Warm. Easy. Transcendent. Happily content for no good reason. Beyond life and death. Timeless.

These are all friends. If you invite them into your mind, they help you. Good luck. Look within!

Edited by goldisheavy

So you want to be warm? :)

No it's summer down under :(

After practice I sat down dripping wet yesterday trying to remember that cooling thread from 6 mts ago!

Often though of trying something like what you suggested focused on cold. But warmth seems to be what people focus on rather than feeling cold. I guess most or these practices are from cool mountains rather than hot desserts.

This might be a bit out there but to me Warm <-> Cold is like Alive <-> Dead

Anyhow earth and water (what I have learnt so far) can be pretty cooling

(Chi Gung #3 makes me sweat and feel hot)

No it's summer down under :(

After practice I sat down dripping wet yesterday trying to remember that cooling thread from 6 mts ago!

Often though of trying something like what you suggested focused on cold. But warmth seems to be what people focus on rather than feeling cold. I guess most or these practices are from cool mountains rather than hot desserts.

This might be a bit out there but to me Warm <-> Cold is like Alive <-> Dead

Anyhow earth and water (what I have learnt so far) can be pretty cooling

(Chi Gung #3 makes me sweat and feel hot)

I think you hit the nail on the head. This is pragmatic stuff, meaning, people used strategies most often that had to do with their environment. If people lived in an environment where cold was much more of a threat than heat, their practice have reflected that. Tummo comes from the mountains of Tibet, where it is cold.

I think there are a couple of other factors as well. First of all, warmth is associated with life. Living bodies are warm, dead ones are cold. Secondly, warmth is seen as positive and cold is seen as merely absence of warmth. That's the mental construct that most people use (although you can view it in reverse... you can view cold as a presence and heat as absence of cold, as the default state, but who thinks like that? I only know about this possibility through the study of cognizance and not because I have actual examples of this). Positive manifestations tend to be easier. For example, it's easier to move in a certain way than to not move at all. It's easier to imagine something than to imagine nothing. However, that is just a malleable bias.

It may be perfectly OK to leave that bias alone, because tinkering with it might be a little too weird/jarring for the mindset. However, it can also be interesting to tinker with that bias, like to reverse it for a time, just to observe what happens and to learn from the observation -- but only if you don't have much fear and don't have a lot to lose in this world.

Just some thoughts.

cold is hot, hot is cold, its all relative. I used to love sticking my hands out the window of a moving car when I was a kid and imagining it was really hot instead of cold, or sticking your hands in snow and imagining it was really hot :)

cold is hot, hot is cold, its all relative.

This is true, but to be able to take full advantage of this truth you have to plumb the depths of your beliefs. In other words, if you believe that too much heat will turn you into ash and that you have to be in non-ash form no matter what, then some degrees of heat will be very painful even if you say a thousand times "it's all relative". It's true -- it's relative to your mindset. It's not just plain old "relative". So in order to get a degree of honesty and depth into that saying, it should be investigated and not just said lightly like it's obvious, pshaw.

So the problem, sometimes, with making flippant statements is not so much that they are untrue, but that you may not realize the depth and the fullest implications of that truth. And I'm not judging you in this case, but just wanted to throw out a caution for anyone who might be tempted to think that "it's all relative" is a trivial truth that's not even worth investigating, since it's so obvious. It's neither trivial nor obvious and it is worth investigating at length.

Tummo comes from the mountains of Tibet, where it is cold.

Actually you are wrong its from the Mahasiddhis who brought into Tibet it comes from India where it is HOT.

It stems from under standing the "Solar" plexus Chakra.

Tibetans have mastered it cause they need it. But it was actually practiced in the heat in India way before it was brought into Tibet as a "Yoga".

Actually you are wrong its from the Mahasiddhis who brought into Tibet it comes from India where it is HOT.

It stems from under standing the "Solar" plexus Chakra.

Tibetans have mastered it cause they need it. But it was actually practiced in the heat in India way before it was brought into Tibet as a "Yoga".

That's possible, but I doubt it. Does any Buddhist lineage that has a tummo transmission actually admit this? Ha! Buddhists can't even share Dzogchen! Nyingmapas claim it comes from Garab Dorje, and Bonpos claim it comes from Tonpa Shenrab. Hehehe! Such is the emptiness of appearances! Nothing is true, everything is true. I think the Buddhists would roll over in their graves before admitting to getting something from Hindus or any other source except Buddha.

It was done in India and it was done in summer to help purify the body!

Exactly.

the natives in America have a "Tummo" aswell. So do the Alaskan Inuits.

That's possible, but I doubt it. Does any Buddhist lineage that has a tummo transmission actually admit this? Ha! Buddhists can't even share Dzogchen! Nyingmapas claim it comes from Garab Dorje, and Bonpos claim it comes from Tonpa Shenrab. Hehehe! Such is the emptiness of appearances! Nothing is true, everything is true. I think the Buddhists would roll over in their graves before admitting to getting something from Hindus or any other source except Buddha.

It is from the Maha Siddhis Yogis (Rishis) this they all admit once you are behind closed doors. I know cause i have tummo empowerments from various tibetan lineages. Tummo is part of their "Trul Khors" yogas, the predecessor to the 6 Yogas of Naropa. As for the Bon claims it originates from an ancient Kindgom that spanned from ancient Persia to Tibet. All attribute it to the maha siddhis Yogis (Rishes).

Peace

Santiago

But it was actually practiced in the heat in India way before it was brought into Tibet as a "Yoga".

It was done in India and it was done in summer to help purify the body!

Cool (hehe) and good to know that I won't be cooking myself here.

Once again a fear turns out to be nothing worth worrying about after all :P

Mal,

You now doing Tummo under Santiago aka Vajrasattva course?

What happened to spontaneous, taiji, mantis you still doing them?

Ape

Perhaps. To me it just makes more sense that people who have encountered cold came up with it. I was reading some original Suttas from Pali canon, and some of them talk about Buddha staying in the forest even though it was cold. So it's possible that even in India it was cold at times, at least where Buddha was.

Tummo is a Tibetan word, and if this practice comes from India, why doesn't anyone ever use the Sanskrit word? I guess one can claim that all the Indian lineages died out in India. I don't know.

I can't say I like this entire "closed door" culture. It's not that great for the people. There is all kinds of bullshit information floating around and people get duped all the time. It's dishonest and I don't like it. What's funny is that secrets can't stay totally secret. They are always leaking here and there in order to advertise and to attract new adherents into the fold.

The truth is that I practiced tummo before I even knew the name "tummo". Anyone who has spiritual intuition will know that you can warm yourself up. It's not a woo waa woo waa big deal type of thing. It's something that anyone who is wise can deduce quite easily, and not just that, but can deduce many variations of it too. So no wonder all kinds of cultures had similar practices! It just makes sense. I read of similar practices in Daoist books too. I bet Siberian shamans had it too and probably the ancient Slavic shamans as well, as well as gypsies and all kinds of other people. It's very annoying that something that is so obvious as "tummo" is made such a big deal out of. You can also cool yourself off the same way too, why doesn't anyone mention that? It's the same thing.

Also about chakras. Do you realize that those are cultural? There are no chakras in humans. Indians have different systems of chakras. Jewish Kabalists have a completely different system of energy centers where as you go up the spine there are energy centers that occur in pairs. In the nagual system there are things like assemblage point and energy compartments and no chakras. Someone who is as luck us we are, from the West, who has access to all this diversity, should be wise enough to understand a big lesson from all this. It's not THIS OR THAT. It's anything. It's whatever you believe it is. You don't need chakras and you don't need auras either as spiritual necessities. Chinese meridians and energy centers are also different from Indian ones.

Edited by goldisheavy

Mal,

What happened to spontaneous, taiji, mantis you still doing them?

Ape

Kunlun is on hold during the KAP course. I think I will always enjoy it, it is a very happy and comfortable technique. Was practicing occasionally but not often enough (IMHO) I really liked doing 1h20m and was finding it hard to get that much time. Also it felt like seeing Max was not going to happen And finding a teacher was becoming more important to me.

Still doing Tai Chi form, again cut back from 2x a day to just once. Tai Chi always cycles around between 6x a day to periods of no practice for a few days. 2x usually feels "correct" and I try to go with what I feel like when doing for Tai Chi.

Of course still doing Tong Long (mantis) every day :D It's really fun currently because I've just graded & I'm taking it easy till class starts again next year. Just going through forms and polishing up old techniques. The only new stuff I'm doing are 3 easy moves with Sai and 1 walking stick move. Sifu wanted us to practice them during the break. And I LOVE weapons, use to fence at uni (but I was cr@p) Ever since I was a kid I have wanted to learn "cool kung fu weapons" :D

And KAP is great because it is short 20 min is enough but you can do more if you want. It also integrates into daily life, which is something magic focused on (Frans Bardon, Donald Michael Kraig) but KAP is more ........ fun / enjoyable / much less serious..... lots of :D

Almost looking forward to learning Tumo now.