Franklin

Anyone ever learn and practice this?

I am interested if anyone has ever learned or practiced a meditation which i will describe briefly below.

I learned it years ago and used to practice it regularly (also years ago)

i recently got curious to see what it actually is and googleing did not bring back any results at all

I did ask my teacher who taught it years ago- and he said he thought it was a zen practice but the person who taught it to him has passed so no way to find out more about it.

i call it the energy gate meditation

as the practice is to inhale and exhale through different points on the body to the lower dan tien

after you concentrate on each individual points-

then you breathe through all the points at once...

so has anyone learned something like this and

maybe some background info etc on the practice?

thanks

Franklin

Just a thought, but the energy gates are the central points of in and output, if you will, so cultivating your dan tien would go presumably quite well if you would use these gates to let in 'the energy required' to cultivate the dan tien more. Also i have heard of breathing in through the crown energy point, which would be another way. i am speculating though that one would be a little more easy to do than the other, but very much dependent on the individuality of a person who is interested in doing this and cultivating this. by the way, i am going to open up a new topic about cultivation and passing along to children some of the things that you yourself have learned (possibly also through genetics to benefit for them)

and also i am sure that one 'method' has different qualities and 'side effects' (other beneficial things that also come alongside each practise) to the other one(s).

Sorry, i'm not explaining it very well right now.

Sincerely,

innergy

Edited by froggie

I think Bruce Frantzis teaches a practice called Standing and Dissolving that sounds kind of similar to what you are describing. I don't remember if he breathes from the points to the dantien or not, but he does something to dissolve tension and blockages at these points. It is part of a system that includes some arm swinging exercises, wave hands like clouds and a spinal stretch. I have it on VHS tape that is buried in a box somewhere in my closet, but I'm sure some of his students are on here and can chime in about it. It is also described in a book called Opening the Energy Gates of your Body.

it is not the same as bruce kumar frantis's dissolving practice

that is pretty much everything that i come up with when i tried to search...

froggie

i think i understand what you are saying...

but i was kind of hoping that someone had learned something similar

i would have to look back at notes to remember

but i recall my teacher saying the complete set of points was something like 60 or 80 points....

(crown point is one of them)

i always practiced a shorter set with less points then the full regimen

i always thought breathing through the points was similar to pore breathing

but of course a little more focused

and that it was a little bit similar to some of the marrow washing stuff

and it did feel similar to some other practices that i learned later that involved pore breathing (yan xin's 9 step method)

franklin

Edited by Franklin

Sounds similar to the golden flower practice of "collecting the light" where you collect all of the energy of the universe around you and absorb it into you and condense it.

it is translating shen to jing by way of qi.

i wish you luck.

Sounds similar to the golden flower practice of "collecting the light" where you collect all of the energy of the universe around you and absorb it into you and condense it.

HA! Is that an example of the ridiculous ideas you get from your free teachers? ROFL

I am not sure if this is similar to what you are indicating, but we are taught a certain Kriya that involves breathing in and out of different chakras and marma points. It involves inhaling into a chakra and breathing out of the same chakra as well as breathing into one chakra and breathing out through another chakra or a marma point. This is called Setu Kriya or the Bridge Kriya. To conclude the Kriya, from all points, one breathes into the crown and then into the feet and stuff like that ...

HA! Is that an example of the ridiculous ideas you get from your free teachers? ROFL

I thought there was an insult policy reminder

It also states no personal insults

I think you could have rephrased that response to be more constructive, at the very least. If it is true at all, which i doubt. however i suppose your point being that there are many fake teachers (i.e. not capable themselves teachers and all) (and people in general one could add) in even varying degrees, actually.(?)

Edited by froggie

I thought there was an insult policy reminder

It also states no personal insults

I think you could have rephrased that response to be more constructive, at the very least. If it is true at all, which i doubt. however i suppose your point being that there are many fake teachers (i.e. not capable themselves teachers and all) (and people in general one could add) in even varying degrees, actually.(?)

don't mind him froggie. he just feels threatened because toto is about to pull back the curtain on him ;)

Ramel Rones teaches a similar practices in his Sunrise Tai Chi. I think he learned it from Yang Jwing-Ming because it's mentioned in some of his stuff as well. You visualize that you are breathing qi in and out of your yongquan and laogong points, first individually and then all together. They call it "Four Gates Breathing". I don't recall him saying to connect the points to the dan tien, but since I breathe from my nose to my dan tien, I do that intuitively. This practice is supposed to develop the power to move the qi to the extremities and project it out.

Doing this from other points of energetic exchange (crown, perineum, third eye) seems like a natural thing to do. Not a big jump from there doing it with all the energy gates.

I haven't done it much because I don't like visualization and don't have a consistent feeling of qi yet.

As for the practice Franklin mentioned:

In Frantzis' practice you use intentionally send chi to the energy gates to dissolve blockages there (the Opening Energy Gates set includes more practices, like the moving ones Dainin mentioned, this is but one part of it) Even though the method is different, the idea seems similar. That is, if it is practiced with the intent to get the qi flowing freely and powerfully. Cultivating the dan tien is different. Just moving energy in and out of the dan tien doesn't cultivate it. That is the when you store excess energy there, right? So this would be only a first step in a dan tien cultivation practice.

There is something a little similar in "Qigong Empowerment" and possibly elsewhere (I think Mantak Chia's books), but that's where I remember it from right now. There it's for opening ming men, dorsal gate and jade pillow gate. You inhale into the point and exhale to the navel.

I am not sure if this is similar to what you are indicating, but we are taught a certain Kriya that involves breathing in and out of different chakras and marma points. It involves inhaling into a chakra and breathing out of the same chakra as well as breathing into one chakra and breathing out through another chakra or a marma point. This is called Setu Kriya or the Bridge Kriya. To conclude the Kriya, from all points, one breathes into the crown and then into the feet and stuff like that ...

SiliconValley

this sounds similar- only i was only taught to breath through the same point on both inhale and exhale

and at the end breath through all of the points simultaneously...

do you know of any resources on the net that i could find out more about setu kriya or bridge kriya

i did a quick google search but did not come up with anything like the practice we are talking about?

thanks...

thanks to everyone else

yes i have read similar practices elsewhere but they all seemed like an isolated thing- ie breathing through just one or a couple points

or only something that was similar in passing

one of my taiji teachers taught running the microcosmic circle and breathing through the crown and bubbling spring points while practicing...

but all these are slightly different to the meditation practice he taught..

the meditation was breathing through a series of points to the lower dan tien

and then breathing through all the points simultaneously....

again- thanks to everyone for the suggestions on where to find for info on this practice...

franklin

SiliconValley

this sounds similar- only i was only taught to breath through the same point on both inhale and exhale

and at the end breath through all of the points simultaneously...

do you know of any resources on the net that i could find out more about setu kriya or bridge kriya

Not too sure...

My teacher was taught this by a teacher from Bengal who was a descender of Lahiri Mahasaya. He did not teach that to me; I gathered these details when another student was discussing with him.