Gerard

Silat

I've studied with Pendekar Sanders for about 12 years. Here is a link to his website in case you would like more information about his style. We do invoke the animal spirits during fighting. We use the monkey/ape, tiger, snake (cobra/python), and crane. The highest attaignment is the Dragon - Raja Naga. Craig

http://www.cimande.com/

I've studied with Pendekar Sanders for about 12 years. Here is a link to his website in case you would like more information about his style. We do invoke the animal spirits during fighting. We use the monkey/ape, tiger, snake (cobra/python), and crane. The highest attaignment is the Dragon - Raja Naga. Craig

http://www.cimande.com/

Hi bro send my Salams & warmth to Pendekar for me.

Santi

What is that? Why do they wave their hands all the time? Why don't they launch a descent attack?Why they don't touch each other? This is indonesian dance not a martial art. I have seen silat vids in the past with vicious movements that had nothing to do with that thing..Perhaps is a cultural thing I guess..

Z

On the other hand, Santiago's clip is very nice with descent tecniques and a beautiful indonesian girl performing a keris dance :D

What is that? Why do they wave their hands all the time? Why don't they launch a descent attack?Why they don't touch each other? This is indonesian dance not a martial art. I have seen silat vids in the past with vicious movements that had nothing to do with that thing..Perhaps is a cultural thing I guess..

Z

On the other hand, Santiago's clip is very nice with descent tecniques and a beautiful indonesian girl performing a keris dance :D

That is a Keris and usually its laced with Arsenic or some form of spider/frog venom. A touch of that and all your MMA goes out the window : )

That is a Keris and usually its laced with Arsenic or some form of spider/frog venom. A touch of that and all your MMA goes out the window : )

I wanna see it against my shotgun

I wanna see it against my shotgun

Everything has its "PLACE". One also needs to know what weapon to bring to the party.

Keep in mind Orb that 1000 years ago you didn't HAVE A SHOTGUN.....

h.uriahr, orb. Remember the following force is always watching. NOTHING escapes from it, only a Buddha.

1etfcw.jpg

Trolling definitively is not allowed in this forum, thanks.

h.uriahr, orb. Remember the following force is always watching. NOTHING escapes from it, only a Buddha.

1etfcw.jpg

Trolling definitively is not allowed in this forum, thanks.

A buddha cant own guns? You took it out of proportion. I was messing (playing) with Orb. I think everyone knows that except you.

Different tools for different fools. :rolleyes:

Is there a difference between a karis and a shotgun or high powered rifle? On a whole no, but individually yes. I enjoy hunting and target shooting. I find excitement in it as one who does a karis dance would.

Everything has its "PLACE". One also needs to know what weapon to bring to the party.

Keep in mind Orb that 1000 years ago you didn't HAVE A SHOTGUN.....

This is such a childish thread but it still brings up some interesting issues :D .

My post was a direct response to vajrasatva's "reaction" geared against MMA as I've seen him do it before - and I have a totally different opinion.

And I'll say it again - in my view - the real / practical - martial art - as a fighting art - is MMA - which is a martial art stripped of BS - now competitions can be annoying because of their rules but it still real contact against a real opponent.

To me Fedor Emelianenko is the greatest fighter of all times - and if you study an external system like he is teaching - an average MMA fighter - will bring down with great ease a Taichi master or Bagua or Systema or what have you - I've seen it happen too many times - and I highly recommend it - great fun.

Now that being said, this has nothing to do with real energy masters like John Chang, Wang Liping, Jiang and a few others that I'm not going to mention here - who are the real deal when it comes to internal arts and no MMA could do anything in that case.

But people like B Franzis and Max and so many other wannabes who demonstrate some ridiculous convulsions and seizures on "their own" students and talk about it as if it was some highly achieved skills - those are my problems and every time I see somebody defend them - I see it as a big lie.

You can praise them and say whatever you want about their skills - just please don't try to say that those guys can fight against a real MMA fighter - I'm not buying that.

Now one more thing "Keep in mind Orb that 1000 years ago you didn't HAVE A SHOTGUN....."

That's one of the problems that I see - a lot of people that are studying these ancient arts can't discern about

practical and obsolete and keep living in this nerdy imaginary world. All these arts come with old fashioned rituals and weird clothes and weapons etc etc just a big waste of time. I went to visit once a great taichi master and he was teaching weapons like Pudao and Tiger Forks and Dragon tridents some of those were so big that they needed a big van everytime they brought them to practice - I mean come on, are you serious ? I mean I can see some things like a dart rope or a keris which is just a knife and can be used in a fight, but a trident ? I know people that would beat the crap out of those guys using a regular cell phone - now that's a real skill and I don't care what they used 1000 years ago......

This is such a childish thread

Totally, can I play too :lol:

if you study an external system like he is teaching - an average MMA fighter - will bring down with great ease a Taichi master or Bagua or Systema or what have you

Followed by

Now that being said, this has nothing to do with real energy masters like John Chang, Wang Liping, Jiang and a few others that I'm not going to mention here - who are the real deal when it comes to internal arts and no MMA could do anything in that case.

So on one hand you say some masters are no good. Then on the other hand you say some masters are good.... Mmmmm

When 2 people fight the best (or luckiest) person wins. Not the "best" art :) Granted your average BJJ guy will have better luck than your McDojo karate person. But that's only because the McDojo guy never practices actual sparing, like they do in the traditional arts.

(I also picked on Karate because I recently saw a karate master stoping someone with empty force {Mind Body Kick ass moves, one of the early episodes})

While I'm not into silk pajamas either as for Tiger forks etc. Traditional weapons teach hand skills and improve strength and fitness. It is also more fun than just using weights. But if you are good with a trident you should have no problems using the fence paling you just ripped off the nearby fence.

After 1,000 years if people are still bothering to learn it it must be giving them something. If MMA is good it will be here 1,000 years later too.

Totally, can I play too :lol:

Followed by

So on one hand you say some masters are no good. Then on the other hand you say some masters are good.... Mmmmm

When 2 people fight the best (or luckiest) person wins. Not the "best" art :) Granted your average BJJ guy will have better luck than your McDojo karate person. But that's only because the McDojo guy never practices actual sparing, like they do in the traditional arts.

(I also picked on Karate because I recently saw a karate master stoping someone with empty force {Mind Body Kick ass moves, one of the early episodes})

While I'm not into silk pajamas either as for Tiger forks etc. Traditional weapons teach hand skills and improve strength and fitness. It is also more fun than just using weights. But if you are good with a trident you should have no problems using the fence paling you just ripped off the nearby fence.

After 1,000 years if people are still bothering to learn it it must be giving them something. If MMA is good it will be here 1,000 years later too.

MMA has been around for over 1,000 yrs. Pankration ;) As far as the masters go, the ones who cant demonstrate on anyone but their students (kiai master vs karate guy) for example arent really good. I completely understand that students become attuneded to their master but unless the student goes crazy and tries to attack him/her then it's a bit useless. I do think that the internal arts serve a better purpose though, imo it takes a very special individual to win a fight using one though.

Also, if you can through around a trident like it's nothing then you can use a broom, mop handle, pool stick, an oar...pretty much anything.

MMA has been around for over 1,000 yrs. Pankration ;) As far as the masters go, the ones who cant demonstrate on anyone but their students (kiai master vs karate guy) for example arent really good. I completely understand that students become attuneded to their master but unless the student goes crazy and tries to attack him/her then it's a bit useless. I do think that the internal arts serve a better purpose though, imo it takes a very special individual to win a fight using one though.

Also, if you can through around a trident like it's nothing then you can use a broom, mop handle, pool stick, an oar...pretty much anything.

I hate to inform you Silat is probably the oldest MMA...

Its roots go back to ancient Iraq.

I hate to inform you Silat is probably the oldest MMA...

Its roots go back to ancient Iraq.

Touche. Is Kuntao a good branch of Silat? Matter of fact Vaj, if you dont mind check out this site for me I'd appreciate it.

http://www.typhoonma.com/

Nice silat video. But it seems they are just playing. Lot's of power in the movements.

I also appreciate what Orb said too. Fedor Emelianenko and Anderson Silva are great in what they are doing.

One can love and appreciate both- modern MMA and old school lineage, without attempting to stick them in the ring against each other.

Here is a video how Fedor trains (my favorite part- him "working" the tire)

5b66cKt2Ewg

Nice silat video. But it seems they are just playing. Lot's of power in the movements.

I also appreciate what Orb said too. Fedor Emelianenko and Anderson Silva are great in what they are doing.

One can love and appreciate both- modern MMA and old school lineage, without attempting to stick them in the ring against each other.

Here is a video how Fedor trains (my favorite part- him "working" the tire)

5b66cKt2Ewg

this is internal training : )

Here is My brother Eddie Quinn

Good mix of Maylasian/Indonesian & filipino Silat.

Eddie comes from a strong line of Silat going back to Guru Tua Chris Parker & Bapak HJ Idris B Alimuda from Malaysia. Bapak Idris is also one of my mentors.

So is this not MMA?

3B27VHHSY3U

Here is Guru deBordes's Silat

Good conditioning towards the end

ocaBelLtGUM

KxMEnPi-E1Y

wDPwLIz8HpQ

Edited by Vajrasattva