Baguakid

Why Spontaneous Qigong?

I'm seeing a lot of ppl practicing this style or method but I'm not understanding the draw. I've practiced this before under a Master's guidance but it was nothing special for me. I mean, it was ok but I've seen many others I'd rather practice. But, maybe there's something I'm missing.

What's the draw with this exercise?

It supposedly is a panacea (cures everything). I started practicing it partly to see if that's true. So far I'm not sure.

From my own experience, I get great results energy wise. It has opened me up like nothing else has. I also get a very deep peace from it.

This is from some random website:

Spontaneous qigong is when, instead of doing a form of routine, the practitioner allows the qi to move freely throughout the body, causing spontaneous movement. Many modern qigong masters feel that this is where deep healing occurs. Oftentimes it can be quite cathartic, with the practitioner accessing deeply held emotional areas. Some people's movements can be quite erratic while others move in gentle swaying fashion.

Another way it can be explained is that while the practitioner is practicing the form itself they are using their mind to direct the qi to specific points or channels. Then, in the spontaneous section, they disengage their mind from the process and let the qi itself guide the movements. Different people have different energy configurations or different health problems which is why the qi moves so differently in different people. The movements themselves must never be forced. Instead the practitioner allows the qi itself to guide the movements, usually resulting in a feeling of deep release and harmony.

Many qigong masters feel that it is important that when people are first working with spontaneous movement they work with a qualified master or teacher. This way they can be taught the proper way to both enter and get out of the spontaneous movement state, especially if they are working with a lot of intense emotional areas or feel that they are losing control of their movements.

Spontaneous movement can be a valuable addition to any qigong practice. It is sometimes said that this is when the qi practices the student. It is also said that this is when the qi itself becomes the teacher.

http://www.geocities.com/bgaughr/faq.htm#spontaneous

I haven't had any earth shaking spiritual results, but I agree I do feel really good and peaceful afterward seems to wring out any muscle soreness or that feeling like I'm getting a cold. I think a big part of the appeal is in letting go moving with the flow, so much of our lives are relatively scripted, nice to have a form with minimal rules.