Stigweard

Taiji ~ Death Touch or Healing Hand?

If the fight ends without harm and you gained have your opponents good will, that to me is the ultimate victory.

Nice, thats what I teach my students. Treat your opponent like a two year old. If a two year old charges you, what you do is guide them gently in a spiral or yield/evade. You dont harm them.

My teacher told me you need softness to produce power, withouth deep softness you will not reach true power.

Practical example in learning fajing you need to be able to relax completely to be able to guide and explode power. Relax completely .. explode, relax completely .. explode etc.

When seizing an incomming attack .. a leg or arm for example, you need to be relaxed, focussed and sensitive. My teachers always says: you gotta stroke your enemy gently .. you like him or her, its a friend .. to show the sensitivity needed to seize the opponent.

In our school where we practice Chen style there is no distinction between taiji for health and martial use .. we yust practice Chen and this can be of both, everything we learn can be used to hurt or to help.

Thats why emphasis on good ethics in Chen is important.

A very nice read regarding this subject is:

https://www.epsb.net/~jchen/chen_fake.htm

Taiji was developed for combat. The creator was a soldier with combat experience. The Chen family used it to defend themselves and their homes, some of them used it in bodyguard duties. It was meant to be an affective form of combat. Efficiency of movement to generate power and using softness to lead a stiff opponent to his own destruction.

NOW with the soft power, the efficiency, and the control of your opponent, YOU are empowered to decide what to do with them. And as minkus pointed out, that involves some moral responsibility on your part.

If they come charging at you, you can "lead them into nothingness" then snap their arm.

OR

You can "lead them into nothingness" and just push them over.

THAT is not really the art, as it allows both help and harm, it is the practitioner, and it goes into martial philosophy and things like that. Do you spare an opponent and hope they learn a lesson and grow, or do you eliminate the threat that came to eliminate you?

Regardless, taiji is a very effective tool or weapon, and as always it depends on the user. Use your fajin to snap someone's joint or deliver a full body punch, or just use your softness and bounce them away.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Tai Chi is a wonderful, healing art. It is also a tremendous meditation and guide toward harmony. But, to be accurate, the healing aspect of Tai Chi as the primary focus of the art is a relatively new focus. It's historical and traditional aim was a devastating martial art. In it's original form (very hard to find) it was a killing art. When one of the old masters was asked, "What do you think of when practicing your form?" He replied, "I see blood."

That doesn't minimize the incredible health benefits and harmonizing meditative properties of the art.

I'm aware of the combat history of taijiquan, but I think most American taijiquan has been taken over by peace-seeking jedi wannabe's like me. :P

How many in the US train like serious student in China? In my area ppl come to Taiji class to socialize and they forget everything after leaving class and don't practice during the week.

A serious student will practice every day and constantly look for other ways to improve.

The saying in China is: You must eat bitter to taste sweet. Not many in the U.S. either have time or the desire to stand in Zhan Zhuang for 2 hours a day.

I'm aware of the combat history of taijiquan, but I think most American taijiquan has been taken over by peace-seeking jedi wannabe's like me. :P

I apologize if I came off critical. I wouldn't ever say anybody is a wannabe. fact is I use Tai Chi for similar reasons as you do. I find it is a great way to ground and balance the Chi I develop in my primary internal art. I have totally bastardized Tai Chi to fit my needs. So, I am the last one to criticize anyone.

I apologize if I came off critical. I wouldn't ever say anybody is a wannabe. fact is I use Tai Chi for similar reasons as you do. I find it is a great way to ground and balance the Chi I develop in my primary internal art. I have totally bastardized Tai Chi to fit my needs. So, I am the last one to criticize anyone.

It's alright, I am a wannabe jedi. :)

Tai Chi is a wonderful, healing art. It is also a tremendous meditation and guide toward harmony. But, to be accurate, the healing aspect of Tai Chi as the primary focus of the art is a relatively new focus. It's historical and traditional aim was a devastating martial art. In it's original form (very hard to find) it was a killing art. When one of the old masters was asked, "What do you think of when practicing your form?" He replied, "I see blood."

That doesn't minimize the incredible health benefits and harmonizing meditative properties of the art.

Tai Chi Chuan being a Taoist Martial Art, would have to have it's highest objective as that of merging with the Tao.

If some old master saw blood, odds are they were either speaking allegorically or were not that great a bunch of masters.

I think the martial aspect came into existence because the Art and Internal practices would be best preserved that way (I think the Taoist sages had enough foresight to foresee the plight of China, probably for centuries to come).

Tai Chi Chuan being a Taoist Martial Art, would have to have it's highest objective as that of merging with the Tao.

If some old master saw blood, odds are they were either speaking allegorically or were not that great a bunch of masters.

I think the martial aspect came into existence because the Art and Internal practices would be best preserved that way (I think the Taoist sages had enough foresight to foresee the plight of China, probably for centuries to come).

Dwai,

is this your opinion or is this historical fact?

Is this what practicing a Taoist art means to you? It may mean different things to different people.

It's important that we be able to discern our own personal ideals from the actual history.

Throughout history, many taoists were also fierce warriors. Throughout history the needs of Taoists changed with the times. In other times, Taoists were mercenaries, soldiers and warrior monks. Some Taoists were even assassins. Times were tough and dangerous and Taoists had to be ready to defend themselves in a dangerous world.

If "seeing blood" is against your Taoist ideals, I understand and sympathize, however it may not be a problem for others. Seeing blood may have even been necessary for some to be able to protect themselves and their loved ones in a very dangerous society.

I suggest you do a search on the history of Tai Chi, you will see that it was only in the last hundred years that Tai Chi became divorced from its martial origins to become solely an exercise for health. This health focus was primarily brought to the public by Chen Man Ching.

I dont pretend to know a whole lot about taiji yet, but the way I conceive of this question is that there is a yin and a yang element involved in the art as a whole.

Qi is very powerful, and the means to cultivate varied and diverse. In taiji, both healing and devestating force can be cultivated from the same qi and same exercizes.

I agree with what was proposed in the original post, that it is what you use it for.

I also have a sort of gut feeling, that before one gains much aptitude in either healing or harming (with true use of taiji practice, not just a good natural fighter or someone born with "healing hands") you must gain that internal balance to allow you to gain the skills and know when to use them.

As for the development, I have been taught that Chen Wangting created the boxing forms both to be able for his clan to protect itself, but also to heal itself (why the tuna and taoist breathing and TCM is such a prominent feature).

I have no idea if this is true, and I know there is a lot of mystery and debate over the origins of taiji but I like it becuase it backs up what I think about the art.

:D

I will respectfully disagree with this point of view.

Based on my training, my teacher's perspectives, and my readings, Taijiquan was first and foremost a practical martial art. In it's early incarnations, it was primarily a group of eight techniques (peng, lu, ji, an, cai, lie, zhou, kao) integrated with five patterns of body movement/footwork. Training consisted of drilling these techniques to perfection. Over time I suspect that Daoist principles gained a progressively stronger role in the art as the movements became linked together to create forms which subsequently became a moving meditation. These forms were the method of preserving the martial techniques, not the other way around.

Health, cultivation, and philosophical principles were natural consequences of this process. In most martial arts in China, the philosophical component became more important as the practical martial skills became less important (Baguazhang is probably the one exception). As challenge matches were outlawed and lost favor, suddenly anyone was free to proclaim themselves a master without fear of physical challenge. They were then free to emphasize all kinds of stuff that may or may not have been useful in combat. This is when the philosophical aspects of the arts started to be heavily emphasized. This seems to have been the case in Xingyiquan and Taijiquan especially. Again - these are just my opinions.

I don't claim to be an expert but I don't believe Taijiquan is a fundamental component of many (any?) traditional Daoist cultivation systems. Certainly it is commonly practiced by many Daoists and people practicing Daoist cultivation, but I'd be interested in hearing from more knowledgeable members if it is a core component of any of the major schools of Daoist cultivation. I believe that Daoist principles were adapted to the core martial components of Taijiquan (just my opinion) rather than the martial art growing out of cultivation practices.

The balance between martial and health aspects of Taijiquan is one of it's greatest attractions for me. Currently, I'm lucky enough to have a teacher and training partners that allow me to focus on the martial elements. Eventually, the cultivation/health aspects will naturally take over as the body ages and weakens and it's good to know I'll be able to do it no matter what comes. In addition, Daoist meditation techniques complement the Taijiquan training perfectly. I can certainly see why people would conclude that the two evolved together somehow and maybe that's exactly what happened. Ultimately it makes no difference to me. Both aspects of Taijiquan are valuable and available to us for the training.

I will respectfully disagree with this point of view.

Based on my training, my teacher's perspectives, and my readings, Taijiquan was first and foremost a practical martial art. In it's early incarnations, it was primarily a group of eight techniques (peng, lu, ji, an, cai, lie, zhou, kao) integrated with five patterns of body movement/footwork. Training consisted of drilling these techniques to perfection. Over time I suspect that Daoist principles gained a progressively stronger role in the art as the movements became linked together to create forms which subsequently became a moving meditation. These forms were the method of preserving the martial techniques, not the other way around.

Health, cultivation, and philosophical principles were natural consequences of this process. In most martial arts in China, the philosophical component became more important as the practical martial skills became less important (Baguazhang is probably the one exception). As challenge matches were outlawed and lost favor, suddenly anyone was free to proclaim themselves a master without fear of physical challenge. They were then free to emphasize all kinds of stuff that may or may not have been useful in combat. This is when the philosophical aspects of the arts started to be heavily emphasized. This seems to have been the case in Xingyiquan and Taijiquan especially. Again - these are just my opinions.

I don't claim to be an expert but I don't believe Taijiquan is a fundamental component of many (any?) traditional Daoist cultivation systems. Certainly it is commonly practiced by many Daoists and people practicing Daoist cultivation, but I'd be interested in hearing from more knowledgeable members if it is a core component of any of the major schools of Daoist cultivation. I believe that Daoist principles were adapted to the core martial components of Taijiquan (just my opinion) rather than the martial art growing out of cultivation practices.

The balance between martial and health aspects of Taijiquan is one of it's greatest attractions for me. Currently, I'm lucky enough to have a teacher and training partners that allow me to focus on the martial elements. Eventually, the cultivation/health aspects will naturally take over as the body ages and weakens and it's good to know I'll be able to do it no matter what comes. In addition, Daoist meditation techniques complement the Taijiquan training perfectly. I can certainly see why people would conclude that the two evolved together somehow and maybe that's exactly what happened. Ultimately it makes no difference to me. Both aspects of Taijiquan are valuable and available to us for the training.

Hi Steve and Fiveelementtao,

I understand what the two of you are saying. But the school of Tai Chi I learn has been passed down in the old tradition of Master to Disciple as it was in the Taoist monasteries.

What I have been led to believe is that the 13 basic forms were derived from watching Taoist masters being moved by their Qi while in deep meditation. ie, the 13 postures were created as a back-door entrance towards experiencing the Tao directly.

This is not unusual, since in the Indic traditions, Yoga (as we know it today) was also developed on similar lines.

The first Taoists and Vedic sages did not do Tai Chi, they simply merged with the Tao and were moved (spontaneously). The various forms etc came by only afterwards.

According to my Teacher, all the 13 energetic movements are encompassed in the Beginning stance of Taiji.

That being said, since we are not all Taoist adepts, we have to work our way towards that highest goal. Besides, that doesn't discount the efficacy of Tai Chi as a martial practice. What I'm trying to articulate is that the Martial aspect or the Healing aspect or the Personal transformation aspect are only limitations of the infinite practice of Merging with the Tao.

Regards,

Dwai

the Martial aspect or the Healing aspect or the Personal transformation aspect are only limitations of the infinite practice of Merging with the Tao.

Elegantly put, Dwai,

thank you for your explanation of your school's explanation on the origin of Tai Chi. very informative and beautiful.

I understand what the two of you are saying. But the school of Tai Chi I learn has been passed down in the old tradition of Master to Disciple as it was in the Taoist monasteries.

What I have been led to believe is that the 13 basic forms were derived from watching Taoist masters being moved by their Qi while in deep meditation. ie, the 13 postures were created as a back-door entrance towards experiencing the Tao directly.

This is not unusual, since in the Indic traditions, Yoga (as we know it today) was also developed on similar lines.

The first Taoists and Vedic sages did not do Tai Chi, they simply merged with the Tao and were moved (spontaneously). The various forms etc came by only afterwards.

According to my Teacher, all the 13 energetic movements are encompassed in the Beginning stance of Taiji.

That being said, since we are not all Taoist adepts, we have to work our way towards that highest goal. Besides, that doesn't discount the efficacy of Tai Chi as a martial practice. What I'm trying to articulate is that the Martial aspect or the Healing aspect or the Personal transformation aspect are only limitations of the infinite practice of Merging with the Tao.

Regards,

Dwai

Thanks for the reply, Dwai.

I like your master's story.

What school do you study with?

The Chen style of Tai Chi was primarily made by a guy named Chen Wangting. Now there is some speculation and stories about a guy named Jiang Fa (I'm pretty sure that's what his name was), who's martial art background may have had some taoist internal focuses to it, but in any case, Chen Wangting and Jiang Fa were friends.

Now, Chen Wangting was a soldier, so he was naturally familiar with martial arts schools taught in the military. The Chen family in the Chen village also practiced a few other Shaolin forms. Chen village is a short distance away from the Shaolin temple. It's also said that Chen Wangting was hiding in the Shaolin temple at one point as a refugee from some military people (some higher ups did some takeover, and even though he wasn't directly involved, he WAS a soldier from an older regime so... gotta lay low).

Anyway, if you look at forms such as Taizu Long Boxing, you can see movements that look similar. If you look at forms like Little Red Fist, you can see similarities between Chen style forms, and even some Yang style forms.

It would not surprise me that although Chen Wangting was good at martial arts, as he got older he probably wanted something that he could continue to do. Tone down emphasis on "brute strength" and raw speed, focus more on efficient movements, meeting with the opponent, leading them into the void and then striking them at a vulnerable point. I'm sure he also taught it so that even people who weren't soldiers (like the villagers) could still be able to handle opponents that were bigger.

Though it is funny that Yang Luchan and pretty much most of the subsequent styles mention some kind of Daoist monastery practice, which means there is either more to the picture of Jiang Fa, perhaps there's more to the picture of the origins of Chen style (though Yang didn't learn from Wangtin, he learned from a later generation guy). Some have hinted that it was Yang Luchan's teacher that was a "rebel" from the "standard" Chen taiji and taught his own version. Then it's also been said that Yang Luchan was the one that did some outside training away from the Chen family (he had kungfu experience before learning Chen taiji). But then others have said it was Yang Luchan who changed it for teaching the outsiders.

Anyway, oral traditions from masters lead to one story, written record and eyewitness accounts lead to another, so I'm sure the truth lies in between each account, perhaps mixing a little bit of both. In any case, the martial origins of Tai Chi are obvious. It was designed as an effective martial art. It used daoist philosophy to determine its strategies, but as scholars and martial artists will tell you, taiji is not the only art with "daoist" or "taiji" concepts. Full body power, relaxation, efficiency of movement, yielding to the opponent... these things are everywhere. But as has been mentioned, it was tai chi that was hijacked by the hippy jedi wannabes :P

I don't claim to be an expert but I don't believe Taijiquan is a fundamental component of many (any?) traditional Daoist cultivation systems. Certainly it is commonly practiced by many Daoists and people practicing Daoist cultivation, but I'd be interested in hearing from more knowledgeable members if it is a core component of any of the major schools of Daoist cultivation.

No, it is not

YM

Thank you all for your comments here. I love being able to flesh out my own thoughts by reflecting on yours.

I agree with Sloppy Zhang, fiveelementtao, and xuesheng that Taijiquan is first and foremost a practical martial art. That is the way I have learned it and that is the way I share it with others.

I also resonate strongly with what Darin and dwai have said.

The following reflections are entirely my own. No more credibility can be added to them beyond my own exploration and discovery. I can claim no link between them and any traditional or historical Taoist teaching any more than I can claim I can fly through the air (I do also admit to being a wannabe hippy Jedi though :lol:)

It is my unproven hypothesis that Taiji movement was present well before the formalised version of Taijiquan came into being. In my imaginings I picture Taoist aesthetics (or shamans if you wish) observing the forces of nature and, in their quest to emulate and become one with such forces, spontaneously began expressing the nature of trees, fire, mountains, rivers, wind, animals, incects etc etc. Perhaps the Five-animal Play (Wu Qin Xi) arose from such early explorations?

As research into TCM and Qi 'mechanics' became more developed, organised and sophisticated certain core Taiji principles arose, consolidated, and were formalised into the traditions of Tao. It is my suggestion that it is out of this foundation of Taiji core principles that the martial arts Taijiquan arose.

The essence of Taijiquan is of course Taiji, the supreme or grand ultimate, which of course can be known simply as "Tao". As Bao-Xi observed with the Yi Jing, it is through the pivotal action of Taiji that the two polarities, four phases and eight elements arose. Living by the principles of Taiji has been observed to be the most expedient, efficient and effective use of one's life force which applies the leverage of the most gained by the least exertion.

To me it simply makes sense, therefore, to design a martial arts that is founded on these principles and that that martial arts would indeed be the "supreme ultimate fist".

I have mentioned this elsewhere, and it is pure conjecture on my behalf, but my interpretation of 'quan' or fist is that, just like a formless hand forming a fist, it means the formation of the formless Taiji into something of utility, into something of worldly practical use, into Taijiquan. As such Taijiquan is a physical formalisation of Tao just the same as the Yi Jing is an intellectual formalisation of Tao.

Excuse my unabashed lapsing into puppy dog enthusiasm and praise but it is beyond a doubt to me that Taijiquan is in fact the supreme ultimate physical expression. What an incredible gift it is to have a physical art form that is a supreme martial arts style, a potent exercise for health, a profound tool for self-discovery and unparalleled template for universal understanding.

In terms of what Taijiquan means to you, I guess it comes down to what you personal think is important and where you are in your life and the demands placed on you from your environment. If you were in a time or place of violence and conflict it would naturally arise that the combative elements would be most relevant. For me, as I sit here at my computer in a peaceful community in a mostly peaceful country there are very few demands upon me to defend myself or my family, I have the luxury or indulgence to explore the deeper implications of the art that I have devoted my life to.

And in these meanerings it has appeared to me that the essence of Taijiquan is Taiji itself and that the form, or quan, of Taiji is indeed the template, tool, supreme manuscript or even 'bible' to achieve personal harmony, wholeness and healing.

There's a lot of very good scholarly information on this topic. One good and recent English language article can be found in the Journal of Asia Martial Arts, Volume 16, Number 4 - Wile, D. "Taijiquan and Daoism from religion to martial art and martial art to religion". Wile does a thorough survey of published sources in exploring the relationship between Daoism and Taijiquan.

There's a lot of very good scholarly information on this topic. One good and recent English language article can be found in the Journal of Asia Martial Arts, Volume 16, Number 4 - Wile, D. "Taijiquan and Daoism from religion to martial art and martial art to religion". Wile does a thorough survey of published sources in exploring the relationship between Daoism and Taijiquan.

Thank you for this xuesheng, I have ordered a copy.

Can you provide a basic run down of what Wile has discovered?

Cheers,

Regards,

Dwai

Hi Dwai, I also would like to hear more of your Teacher and what they have to say on this matter. :)

Cheers,

Hi Dwai, I also would like to hear more of your Teacher and what they have to say on this matter. :)

Hi Stigweard,

Please go through this article I'd written (mainly as an introductory one for taiji novices from an Indic perspective). I humbly present this (despite the level of knowledge of the group here) because it does cover a little bit about my school and teacher.

Best,

Dwai

Tai Chi -- A Path to Samadhi

It's a very long article which says, more or less, that we know nothing definitive of the origins of Taijiqan before the 18th century and that it's likely that it became associated with Daoist principles late in its development. That's my recollection of the basic conclusion. It looks at each of the major traditions and their claims regarding it's origins and from what I recall, it seems to take a relatively non-biased approach. It's full of lots of good and scholarly information as would be expected of a talented historian and researcher like Wile. I loaned my copy to a friend and don't have it for easy reference. Please post your impressions once you have had a chance to read it.

That was a nice article, Dwai. Please allow me one minor criticism which is including the traditional English translation of Taijiquan as Supreme Ultimate Fist. I think that's a terrible translation. Tai can be translated supreme and Ji refers to ultimate but in the sense of the farthest extent, the pole, or the extreme end of something. It implies, literally, extreme opposites. The connotations of the words supreme and ultimate used together implies something like "best possible" to the English ear. To the contrary, Tai Ji to the Chinese ear is nothing of the sort. It connotes the Daoist principles of mutual arising and the interplay of Yin and Yang.

The people marketing Taiji to English speaking populations are probably happy to use that translation to imply that Taiji is the best possible art to practice (and that may be true - it's certainly my favorite) but that is not what the average Chinese person thinks of when hearing the words Taijiquan. Also, it's difficult to come up with an alternative English translation that is concise and captures for the English ear what the characters Tai Ji mean to the Chinese. I personally just stick with the Chinese. If I had to use a translation (of sorts) I'd probably say Yin Yang Boxing... I think that does a better job of capturing the flavor of the characters than Supreme Ultimate. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound terribly impressive or exotic - it sounds kind of trite.

With all due respect to Master Liao, I personally think it's much more likely that a martial art (long boxing) became associated with and influenced by Daoist principles and was then renamed Taijiquan. The idea that Daoist exercises (that parenthetically are not a part of any traditional school of Daoist cultivation) were turned into a martial art for preservation doesn't ring true for me. The most critical methods of Daoist cultivation are meditative methods, not physical movements. There would have been no need to turn those into a martial art as they still need to be passed down as meditative exercises, with or without body movements. Nevertheless, there's room in the world (and this forum) for a variety of opinions on the origins of Taijiquan.

With all due respect to Master Liao, I personally think it's much more likely that a martial art (long boxing) became associated with and influenced by Daoist principles and was then renamed Taijiquan. The idea that Daoist exercises (that parenthetically are not a part of any traditional school of Daoist cultivation) were turned into a martial art for preservation doesn't ring true for me. The most critical methods of Daoist cultivation are meditative methods, not physical movements. There would have been no need to turn those into a martial art as they still need to be passed down as meditative exercises, with or without body movements. Nevertheless, there's room in the world (and this forum) for a variety of opinions on the origins of Taijiquan.

Steve,

Thanks for your feedback. For the record, the bit (above) is my inference, not something my Teacher told me. I came to this conclusion having studied similar things happening in India (albeit not in the form of Martial Arts)

Thank you for this Xuesheng, I appreciate your etymological insight. Being a westerner I am grateful to learn more of the authentic origins of the art that I also enjoy. :)

The people marketing Taiji to English speaking populations are probably happy to use that translation to imply that Taiji is the best possible art to practice (and that may be true - it's certainly my favorite) but that is not what the average Chinese person thinks of when hearing the words Taijiquan. Also, it's difficult to come up with an alternative English translation that is concise and captures for the English ear what the characters Tai Ji mean to the Chinese. I personally just stick with the Chinese. If I had to use a translation (of sorts) I'd probably say Yin Yang Boxing... I think that does a better job of capturing the flavor of the characters than Supreme Ultimate. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound terribly impressive or exotic - it sounds kind of trite.

Edited by Stigweard