Sign in to follow this  
The Genuine Article

How Do You Study

how to do you study?

Great question,have thought about how to answer it for awhile

but am still unsure!

The first thing that came to me was in "ANY Way I can!!!"

and that does seem to be true?

Things are studied and lived and taught to be learned.

Some from books some from other sources that books couldn't touch?

Some things memorized, some can only be felt.

Some are grasped in an instant

others I work with for months on end and barely touch the surface of any kind of understanding?

The facts are studied. Questioned. The questions are answered and examined and questioned.

Don't really know anything except my own questions,

though i seem to state things as fact often enough? LOL?

I have pages and pages of notes, for hardly a drop of knowledge.

How pure is that knowledge though?

As Pure as any living thing.

It breaths and grows, contracts and expands?

Changes as any living thing.

It's stronger than Anything, though so Fragile and frail at times?

U See? In truth I am unsure?

Study what???

But If I can think of a reasonable answer I will get back to you?

Stay well,

Shon

...I do use flash cards though and Mnemonics! :D

This:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.010.than.html

Satipatthana Sutta

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.22.0.than.html

Maha-satipatthana Sutta

That will help you to clear off all doubts

+

This:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzpm1hiPKg0

Ba Gua (Yin style in this vid.)

Will delete everything inside of you placed by society and karma, and in turn make you stronger and healthier.

n62gye.gif

I study by becoming immensely interested in attaining my goals. I look at the long term goals that I have (one is finding the best way for the body to heal itself) and seek out ways to make it happen. Then I look at all of those ways, and they are short term goals. I want to (just a random example) learn how to sit in full lotus, so that I might be able to transmute lower energies...if I think that might help me reach my long term goal.

So then I take my short term goals and make even shorter term goals. Then I reach every little goal, and if something doesn't help me reach my long term goals, I throw it out.

It's not necessarily that I follow a really linear progression of steps like that though. It's just a natural occurrence of really wanting something. So the key is to follow your heart in what you want to learn about.

I think this is the best way to study, because you're always interested in what you're doing. It's always for your great purpose. By testing everything out, you learn what works and what doesn't...you learn about tons of different things that you might not come across, by just keeping an open mind. Being at this forum helps because you can go look at everything that everyone else is interested in...the internet gives us access to information which can possibly help us reach our goals.

Yeah! :lol:

A lot of it is just keeping in the game.

Experience adds up over time,

just like in any other area of learning.

i have to study by not feeling like i'm studying...that's the only way i'll remember. i have to be having fun or it'll take me foreverrrr. so ways that work for me are learning through action, having friends call stuff out to me, learning real philosophies through jokes or at least interesting explainations, and also just from things i think of when i'm somewhere nice like in a tree. if i find a way to make something interesting, i could go over it 1ce or 2ce & get it. otherwise, i'll be there all night.

if i find a way to make something interesting, i could go over it 1ce or 2ce & get it. otherwise, i'll be there all night.

Yes!

A lot of it is just keeping in the game.

Experience adds up over time,

just like in any other area of learning.

spot on...you want to learn something, make it part of your life. you want to excel and be the best there is, immerse yourself in it. studying for something is no different than working out or doing martial arts practice every day - the test just differ :)

I think there is a lot left to say when it comes to studying or training especially things that are not often explicitly stated heres a post as an example:

http://www.thetaobums.com/Expanding-Awaren...noia-t8913.html

Especially when it comes to moving energy, paranoia can most certainly grow if you do not have a teacher who can tell what is going on. A teacher has to be multiphasic and be able to completely understand things from many different perspectives. There are some that will only tell you techniques...

When I say techniques, they are caught up in exactly how to move your arm, and what place to put it in as an example.

Whereas a real teacher will teach you how to FEEL out positioning and use your feelers to direct energy, sense spirits, et cetera.

In turn after doing so they will teach you methods to tweak things to stave of current imbalances.

Those are the marks of a true master.

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

I study by creating my own booklets. By cutting and pasting to a word processor (most often Google Aps) I create booklets of ideas. For example for the Bums, I have a Best of Tao Bums document. I cut and paste the best insights into it. Sometimes I'll put in my own comments.

I have similar booklets on Kap and Kunlun, almost a dozen of various types of investing philosopies. Creating the booklets(10 to 40 pages), gets me reading with discerning interest. More importantly it I don't lose the best and can review them periodically.

Michael

At a certain point, it does seem as though the cosmos takes an interest in guiding you to the right teachers, books, ideas, conversations, experiences, etc. The Way, like everything else, is in flux.

At a certain point, it does seem as though the cosmos takes an interest in guiding you to the right teachers, books, ideas, conversations, experiences, etc. The Way, like everything else, is in flux.

And all we have to do is Listen, follow that guidance, and practice.

I study by creating my own booklets. By cutting and pasting to a word processor (most often Google Aps) I create booklets of ideas. For example for the Bums, I have a Best of Tao Bums document. I cut and paste the best insights into it. Sometimes I'll put in my own comments.

I really like this idea. Also if you assemble your info in order to teach it to people, that really helps in learning it.

How do I study? Often by researching a topic to death, lol. :lol: I used to have a bookcase full of texts from the major schools of Buddhism, a few of the classics from Hinduism, some stuff from Christianity, a translation of the Tao Te Ching (of course :) ), a bunch of books on Tai Chi and Qigong, and a few general religious studies books. I had read most from cover to cover more than once. A few were quite difficult, like Book 1 of the Shobogenzo.

That was before really getting into research on the internet, but I did love having the books. When we moved back to the UK, most were given away. It just cost too much to ship them. I've replaced only a few, and now pretty much rely on the internet when I want to research something.

I guess my technical approach is still to go to the root text (or as close as one can get through translation), read it for my own understanding, then read commentaries by those I feel are reliable. Then I'll go back and read the original text again. Usually, I get a lot more out of it the second time, and find areas that I totally misunderstood the meaning of.

I have similar booklets on Kap and Kunlun, almost a dozen of various types of investing philosopies. Creating the booklets(10 to 40 pages), gets me reading with discerning interest. More importantly it I don't lose the best and can review them periodically.

Michael

That's interesting, Michael - I find for me, the copy and paste works only so well, but actually physically writing something has ten times the effect - perhaps because you are more intimately connected with the information and have to more slowly process it via writing. Typing works too, but there is just something about writing it out the old fashioned way...

and if you really need a digital copy, thankfully OCR programs have come a long way! Only downside to writing is its limit on speed...

Sign in to follow this