Gats

Increasing capacity to retain chi

Hey all,

I've been contemplating this issue of the amount of chi we are able to store in our bodies. It seems that each individual has a certain 'capacity' or maximum level of chi that they can handle at a certain moment. It's a given that the more we practice, the more our capacity increases to handle more and more chi.

We all know that various exercises can generate a lot of chi but the question is, what methods or activities are best at increasing our bodies' capacity to actually store the energy we generate? And what are the limiting factors, ie what variables compromise our ability to store chi?

It's no secret that the food we ingest can affect our energetic state and thus our ability to retain chi and our environment plays an important role as well. And that buried emotional problems can siphon away our energy without us being aware of it.

I'd love to hear what others have been doing to increase their chi-holding capacity and also what they've been doing to limit their loss of chi.

:)

edit: I've heard even small things like not showering for an hour or two after practice, self-massage, can make a big difference. My qi gong teacher always recommended sitting meditation for same amount of standing, "Earn chi through standing, then put it in the bank through sitting"

Edited by Gats

Hey all,

I've been contemplating this issue of the amount of chi we are able to store in our bodies. It seems that each individual has a certain 'capacity' or maximum level of chi that they can handle at a certain moment. It's a given that the more we practice, the more our capacity increases to handle more and more chi.

We all know that various exercises can generate a lot of chi but the question is, what methods or activities are best at increasing our bodies' capacity to actually store the energy we generate? And what are the limiting factors, ie what variables compromise our ability to store chi?

It's no secret that the food we ingest can affect our energetic state and thus our ability to retain chi and our environment plays an important role as well. And that buried emotional problems can siphon away our energy without us being aware of it.

I'd love to hear what others have been doing to increase their chi-holding capacity and also what they've been doing to limit their loss of chi.

Food has nothing to do with chi capacity ( depending on the system). Manmade materials hinder your your gathering.

Hey all,

As long as you see yourself as an individual among individuals, you limit the scope of your intent. This means you have to interact with the external world through energy output and input. Storing chi energy is similar to getting fat. A fat person can starve for a longer time because they store up some food energy as fat. So is being fat a good thing? Well, if you expect a period of starvation, yes it is. However, if you live in good times where you don't expect periods of starvation, being fat gives you increased chances for heart disease and it puts more wear and tear on your ankles, to name a few problems. Accumulating anything, be it fat, money, or energy, beyond a certain point is not without repercussions. The attitude that more is always better is a surefire way to end in misery.

If you seek great power, you need to transcend the limitation of individuality. As an individual you will never be very powerful. You'll always be answerable to other individuals and to forces of nature, because a big "part" of your intent will be used to maintain the external world rather than your person.

So, if you enjoy the feeling of being a person among people, you have to look for moderation or else you will have problems. On the other hand, if you simply must have infinite power, you cannot afford to be a person. You will have to forgo being a person in that case. Either way, storing more energy is not something that's necessarily good.

Edited by goldisheavy

As long as you see yourself as an individual among individuals, you limit the scope of your intent. This means you have to interact with the external world through energy output and input. Storing chi energy is similar to getting fat. A fat person can starve for a longer time because they store up some food energy as fat. So is being fat a good thing? Well, if you expect a period of starvation, yes it is. However, if you live in good times where you don't expect periods of starvation, being fat gives you increased chances for heart disease and it puts more wear and tear on your ankles, to name a few problems. Accumulating anything, be it fat, money, or energy, beyond a certain point is not without repercussions. The attitude that more is always better is a surefire way to end in misery.

If you seek great power, you need to transcend the limitation of individuality. As an individual you will never be very powerful. You'll always be answerable to other individuals and to forces of nature, because a big "part" of your intent will be used to maintain the external world rather than your person.

So, if you enjoy the feeling of being a person among people, you have to look for moderation or else you will have problems. On the other hand, if you simply must have infinite power, you cannot afford to be a person. You will have to forgo being a person in that case. Either way, storing more energy is not something that's necessarily good.

Interesting perspective, haven't really thought of it that way, thanks :)

We all know that various exercises can generate a lot of chi but the question is, what methods or activities are best at increasing our bodies' capacity to actually store the energy we generate?

Open the channels of the body. Not just the microcosmic orbit (du & ren), all of them. Activating acupoints is a classic way to do this. Self-acupressure is accessible and relatively safe. imo, it's a huge piece of the puzzle that is mostly over-looked in non-asian culture.

just sit and do deep abdominal breathing. The capacity of your lower dantien is BIG. I don't think you gather so much chi in standing/moving exercises that it exeeds the capacity of your lower dantien. It is huge! Just learn to store your energy in the lower area (it should not rise higher that to the mid dantien).

About the microcosmic orbit (ren & du): At the time you have that amound of Houtian chi that it begins to transform to Xiantian chi the Small Heavenly Orbit will open. But untill then you should focus on your lower dantien.

MPWay is absolutely right: Don't try to gather chi in a building with synthetic/man-made ground and walls. Search for a nice place outdoor.

sorry for my bad english

Open the channels of the body. Not just the microcosmic orbit (du & ren), all of them. Activating acupoints is a classic way to do this. Self-acupressure is accessible and relatively safe. imo, it's a huge piece of the puzzle that is mostly over-looked in non-asian culture.

Trunk,

Would you say that Chi nei Tsang technic is somewhat like accupressure (at least for some points)? Have you tried CNT?

one very simple and practical definition i stumbled upon is like this - the more toxic waste you get out of your body, the more space you create, to fill with light

and i think food does have a connection to it... try eating only fast-food for a month, and then see what happens

one very simple and practical definition i stumbled upon is like this - the more toxic waste you get out of your body, the more space you create, to fill with light

and i think food does have a connection to it... try eating only fast-food for a month, and then see what happens

Indeed...

I agree, it seems that much of what we do in our practice is to release that which binds us, including our beliefs, attitudes, grudges, expectations, etc. The more space, the more flow of energy, the less we feel the need to "retain".

Big, Small, Storing Capacities etc ...things are relative.

A universe of Chi can be Infinite yet the size of a rice kernel.............

Edited by Vajrasattva

Gats-

What method did your chi qong teacher teach you to store the chi is sitting meditation, ie, what kind of sitting meditation?

The system defines your dietary intake. If your system says to eat a certain whatever then that's cool but in others, they have no dietary requirements so you can eat whatever whenever and there are alot of people out there that regardless of their system can eat whatever and drink whatever and are able to convert that via internal alchemy. My training has no requirements on dietary intake, smoking or even drinking for that matter.

Gats-

What method did your chi qong teacher teach you to store the chi is sitting meditation, ie, what kind of sitting meditation?

Hi Growant,

Our sitting meditation (after standing) usually consists of a specific mudra with a specific mantra (there are very many) and it depends on which standing posture we used. Often we use "OM MANI PADME HUM" and circulate the energy in a circle but he has stated that simply sitting in stillness with a mudra and mantra is enough to store the chi gathered through standing.

The system defines your dietary intake. If your system says to eat a certain whatever then that's cool but in others, they have no dietary requirements so you can eat whatever whenever and there are alot of people out there that regardless of their system can eat whatever and drink whatever and are able to convert that via internal alchemy. My training has no requirements on dietary intake, smoking or even drinking for that matter.

Sure, it does depend on the system you're following but I would have to assume you to be very advanced if extremely poor dietary habits have no ill effect towards your overall health. I'm sure average joes would be better off eating their veggies once in a while :)

Big, Small, Storing Capacities etc ...things are relative.

A universe of Chi can be Infinite yet the size of a rice kernel.............

Hi Growant,

Our sitting meditation (after standing) usually consists of a specific mudra with a specific mantra (there are very many) and it depends on which standing posture we used. Often we use "OM MANI PADME HUM" and circulate the energy in a circle but he has stated that simply sitting in stillness with a mudra and mantra is enough to store the chi gathered through standing.

Sure, it does depend on the system you're following but I would have to assume you to be very advanced if extremely poor dietary habits have no ill effect towards your overall health. I'm sure average joes would be better off eating their veggies once in a while :)

The Mo Pai system has no restrictions on dietary, smoking or alcohol consumption.

The Mo Pai system has no restrictions on dietary, smoking or alcohol consumption.

No it doesn't but moderation is the key in all things. Including Mopai...

i find this peculliarity interesting not by itself, it's implications are bewildering

that being said, I still think we should help ourselves with what we know of

but i've marked what you've said in my notes

Would you say that Chi nei Tsang technic is somewhat like accupressure (at least for some points)?
Yes and no, in a bunch o' ways.

Yup, there are a bunch of acupts in the belly region, and it's a potent area. But CNT is also about gradually working through the tissues and deeper stuff there, which is good and loaded with good possibilities, but...

In acupressure you're really going after the channels (CNT not so much), and it's done in a balanced way (CNT not so much). Ideally, you choose acupoints in a balanced fashion: front and back of the body, upper and lower body, on the torso and on the limbs. CNT doesn't have that built into it. The distal acupressure essay talks about those ideas some.

CNT and acupressure are complementary. They could go together and help eachother.

Have you tried CNT?
Yes. Both from a couple of different practitioners, and self work. Though not as much as some others here. The book "Unwinding the Belly" seems to get good reviews.

Trunk

Edited by Trunk

Practicing ba duan jin on a daily basis will improve your ability to handle increased flow of chi. B)

No it doesn't but moderation is the key in all things. Including Mopai...

Obviously meditation is difficult with a hang over and the breathing requirements would be labored by heavy chain smoking and being obese would make it rather difficult to sit for any length of time. However, if you wish to get buzzed everyday from alcohol that's fine, it's all fine just so long as it doesnt hinder your meditation.