Sign in to follow this  
Whitehawk

Slaying Demons

I need some help.

You see, there's this demon that needs killin'. It is a wily, old devil. Very powerful. In fact I've fought with him for a long time,off and on, and I'm sure all of you have as well, or will at some point. My hope is, that in a place like this, some would emerge who have vanquished this old foe before, and who could help light the way for others.

The name of the demon is Doubt. Or more specifically Self-Doubt.

What is the best way to let go of Doubt?

Chris

What exactly are you doubting? Reason i ask is that self-doubt covers a large blanket of qualities. For me, personally, i doubted my ability to stop abusing substances, i.e. alcohol, drugs.

Edited by hyok

I was speaking mainly of doubt regarding spiritual training and progress. I see doubt as a major stumbling block in any endeavor. Whether its enlightenment or sobriety or whatever. It steals the will and resolve to accomplish the goal, whatever the goal may be.

For example, how do you know for sure you are "on the right path?"

How does one not doubt that they can reach their spiritual potential?

And more specifically and personally, How does the solitary practitioner combat doubts regarding their spiritual progress? This is the one that always got me. As far as philosophy/spirituality goes, I am mostly self-taught, although I place tremendous faith in the inner light as a guide. And so far the inner teacher has helped me at every point; I was just curious about how others handle their own doubts.

If one has a teacher, or is part of a lineage, then they have a guide to help them through the stages were doubts surface. But if one is alone...

But it doesn't have to be a spiritual doubt. Defeating doubt is still defeating doubt.

Chris

I was speaking mainly of doubt regarding spiritual training and progress. I see doubt as a major stumbling block in any endeavor. Whether its enlightenment or sobriety or whatever. It steals the will and resolve to accomplish the goal, whatever the goal may be.

For example, how do you know for sure you are "on the right path?"

How does one not doubt that they can reach their spiritual potential?

And more specifically and personally, How does the solitary practitioner combat doubts regarding their spiritual progress? This is the one that always got me. As far as philosophy/spirituality goes, I am mostly self-taught, although I place tremendous faith in the inner light as a guide. And so far the inner teacher has helped me at every point; I was just curious about how others handle their own doubts.

If one has a teacher, or is part of a lineage, then they have a guide to help them through the stages were doubts surface. But if one is alone...

But it doesn't have to be a spiritual doubt. Defeating doubt is still defeating doubt.

Chris

For me, doubt has been an amazing beacon, although not an always enjoyable one.

Over and Over again it made me reflect on my desires, and beliefs, what I wanted out of the Spiritual path, whether I was kidding myself, whether I was even capable of enlightenment, whether I was really being spiritually Honest with myself, whether I was really listening to myself and was the Inner voice really true...

God, it was torture sometimes but I wouldn't have given it up for the world. It cut away so much garbage. Now I am at a place that has a lot less doubt. Partly because doubt taught me faith in myself as an authentic seeker after truth, (not willing to stop on easy answers and a willingness to question everything, and also try anything) and partly because I found a system that works for me, and over and over again dispels doubt by proving its effectiveness within me. And it has given me Absolute faith in my Inner teacher, God.

Seth.

Over and Over again it made me reflect on my desires, and beliefs, what I wanted out of the Spiritual path, whether I was kidding myself, whether I was even capable of enlightenment, whether I was really being spiritually Honest with myself, whether I was really listening to myself and was the Inner voice really true...

God, it was torture sometimes but I wouldn't have given it up for the world. It cut away so much garbage. Now I am at a place that has a lot less doubt. Partly because doubt taught me faith in myself as an authentic seeker after truth, (not willing to stop on easy answers and a willingness to question everything, and also try anything) and partly because I found a system that works for me, and over and over again dispels doubt by proving its effectiveness within me. And it has given me Absolute faith in my Inner teacher, God.

Seth.

Thanks.

That was beautifully put.

Do you think a time will come when all doubts disappear?

Chris

Use a pen.

Real success is in making a good healthy habits. Figure out what you want. Don't worry about getting IT. Work diligently, be faithful to the habit, create the daily habits and the goal will take care of itself.

Once you're on the path you tend to be protected from the demons, they go after those who meander around.

There's a nice poster called '100 day gong', you can google and download.

Michael

haha, i thought you needed help with an entity. oops

metta

adam

I need some help.

You see, there's this demon that needs killin'. It is a wily, old devil. Very powerful. In fact I've fought with him for a long time,off and on, and I'm sure all of you have as well, or will at some point. My hope is, that in a place like this, some would emerge who have vanquished this old foe before, and who could help light the way for others.

Chris

Seth.

I agree, and well said; doubt has its place just like fear, sadness, etc.. Our subconscious sometimes has a way of giving us what we need no matter how badly we don't want it.

A turning point for me was realizing that even if I was on the wrong track entirely, my whole life and everything I was led me to my path, and quite frankly I just didn't know what else to do with myself. To quote the Beatles, "It really doesn't matter if I'm wrong, I'm right where I belong."

Having no options was very liberating, an unrefined but powerful kind of confidence. Ask yourself, what would you do if you decided to give in to your doubts? Can you think of something better to give your time and faith to? Could you even live with yourself for not seeing your cultivation through? If you're stumped, then it really doesn't matter too much if your efforts are ultimately in vain.

When it comes to enlightenment I say shoot for the moon until you run out of bullets; doubt is just that nagging voice in your head that helps you remember to learn how to aim properly.

Use a pen.

Real success is in making a good healthy habits. Figure out what you want. Don't worry about getting IT. Work diligently, be faithful to the habit, create the daily habits and the goal will take care of itself.

I second that. :)

Once you're on the path you tend to be protected from the demons, they go after those who meander around.

Um... Up to a point in one's cultivation, yes. Up to a very early point... only you (I mean the generic you, not you personally) don't know it's early in the game when you're there, you think you've almost arrived... why things are so nice and balanced now ... what can possibly go wrong? -- if I just keep up the good work, it will only keep getting better, right?..

But if you do keep up the good work and get a bit farther, and far enough from Kansas, Toto <_< ...far, far away from everything that used to be your nice, comfortable, comprehensible, accountable-for existential home...

...then...

...well, ask Jesus or Buddha about things that might start happening then. Yes, demons too, the farther on the path, the closer the encounters... right when the path gets interesting, right when you start getting some tangible supernatural results... :angry::unsure::o:blink::(

Oh and as for the demon of doubt, she's really an angel, her name is Reality Check and it's a beautiful name and she's a beautiful angel. Her demonic incarnation is called Low Self-Esteem and should be exorcised with extreme prejudice. :)

Self doubt,anger,pride,fear,joy,empathy,love etc

These emotions are what they are.

Its part of being human

Perhaps you will have noticed that

they come and go

So let them come and go.

Perhaps you have noticed

the amount of energy it takes

to hold onto your

self doubt

Is equal to the amount

of energy

to beleive in what you are doing.

Tell me can there be any progress?

How do you measure it?

Is there anything besides each perfect moment?

I need some help.

Chris

My two cents:

You can't doubt without thinking. Uninvited thinking at that, I bet, 98% of the time.

Don't fight it, because what you fight it with is from the same union, however much nicer it seems.

Just play the game of refusing to let it get a reaction out of you.

Make refusing to participate in doubt a part of your practice, then it can't sabotage you.

Mind you, it may depend what your practice is, and how much group and teacher support you have, whether that's easy or not.

Good luck. Don't be discouraged if it's a gradual process.

The word doubt comes from words meaning 'to be of two minds'. If you are in a state of doubt then you have two opposing ideas in your mind with which you have established a certain attachment/indentification. This might be your spirituality versus scepticism for instance. Analysis through comparison of ideas is healthy while being passively confused by opposing and unexamined concepts is unhelpful. So I would suggest that when you have doubts about your practice then you test them as actively as you can, when you find you are passively engaged in practice you challenge this also to see if it is working. This will put you into an active stance instead of a passive one.

In real spiritual work confidence is gained by a pragmatic testing of what you do to see the results. For instance you meditate and notice that you feel a little different afterwards - this proves that there is some effect. Step by step you test things to build more and more confidence. The same goes with establishing a relationship with a teacher - you test it at first (in a friendly way) until you feel that your pupil/teacher relationship is one in which practice and results can mature properly. If you are working alone then you have to do the same with your practice. Give it time but test it, without urgency, is it working? If not are you doing it right and so on.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

As I read each of the replies there was so much familiarity in the advice and insights shared.

The thought keeps recurring to me about how minds reflect each other.

Thanks again.

Chris

Sign in to follow this