Sign in to follow this  
Sloppy Zhang

Interesting experiences

Well as I just posed in the full lotus thread, I've gotten into the full lotus pose just a little while ago, and each day I'm working on it and getting more comfortable in it.

I'm starting to get to the point where I can do some meditation in it, and some interesting stuff happened to me today....

I was sitting with my eyes half closed and just meditating, getting my mind clear... then poof, suddenly everything got bright! Like in my field of vision was my bed and a chair, but they were dim because my eyes were half closed, then got really bright, so at first I was like, yay. Because I've been reading a few places about flashing lights and stuff when you activate the third eye chakra and stuff, then I got really happy and tried to hold it and see where it went... then my knees started to hurt and my head started to throb (right behind my eyes actually), that's when I realized something.....

When your eyes are focused on something stationary for a long time, it stops putting them in your vision, like, they blank out, because they aren't moving and adding new information, so your mind kind of forgets them, but if you move your eyes they come back to normal... so yeah when I moved my eyes everything went back to normal.... yeah not as exciting as I originally thought :mellow:

Also, tai chi introduced me to reverse breathing (stomach expands when you breathe out, ya know), so after the "almost third eye" fiasco I went back to just normal meditation. You hear different views on what different people think is the way to breathe, normal vs. reverse, I practice both depending on what I'm doing. So anyway I started out with normal breathing in sitting meditation. Then I started focusing on my dan tien and drawing the breath to the dan tien on my inhale, and I noticed that, when doing normal breathing, the air would go in, but if I kept inhaling I'd end up drawing in my stomach and taking in more air, then exhaling and it would turn into reverse breathing... which was neat.

So, I guess that was partly to share, and partly to ask if anyone else's vision has gone kinda crazy during meditation, but for a not-as-super-as-you-might-have-hoped reason.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Sounds to me that you went from doing nothing to doing something. :mellow:

:lol: I guess.

I've been meditating for a while now, but nothing too exciting ever really happens.... I think that was the most exciting but even then it's not that exciting :lol:

I used to have reverse breathing spontaneously happen when I had tunnel experiences during meditation. I would be meditating and then spontaneously I would just take this enormous inhale and my stomach would suck in at the same time. Then my tongue would curl back to touch the roof of my mouth and I would feel like I was flying upwards. Sometimes I was feeling on several levels so I could feel something like liquid-lightening blast up my spine the same time I was feeling like I was flying upwards and going through a tunnel. At the end of the tunnel I passed through or into different lights.

I tried practicing reverse breathing outside of these experiences but never had much of a result and just stuck to normal breathing and emptiness meditation.

Sign in to follow this