Sign in to follow this  
Anabhogya-Carya

Recipes

I am rather new to vegatarianism (a little less than a year) and I have not picked up a cook book or learned very many new, distinct recipes. If Anyone who can guide me to a few, or have some of their own that they are willing to share, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

On her website Karen (forget her name here) turned me onto Coconut Oil fudge, its very good, kids like it. I can't find her recipie but this one is very close.

'COCONUT OIL FUDGE

1 1/2 cups coconut oil

1 1/2 cups raw honey

1 cup cocoa powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional, tastes fine without it)

Dump it all in the blender and mix till smooth. Pour it into a pan (I use a 9x13 glass pan) and let it set up. Depending on your climate and time of year you may need to refrigerate it if it's over 70 degrees or so in your kitchen. Cut into small pieces and try not to eat it all the first day.

First - you don't need to use the blender, stirring it up by hand right in the pan works fine without having to clean the blender. If your CO is too hard you can soften it gently by heating up the glass pan and then add the CO.

Substitutions and additions -

a quarter to a half cup of flax oil swapped for an equal amount of CO will give it a softer consistency.

ground up brazil nuts, sunflower seeds and/or pumkin seeds add extra nutrition

ground up sesame seeds will give it a texture like a nestle crunch bar.

cinnamon tastes surprisingly good in it.

I don't bother with the vanilla anymore since I can't taste it. I do add a little extra himalayan salt because I think it accents the salty sweet flavor.'

I think Karens recipie was as simple as

1 part coconut oil slightly warmed to liquid state

1 part honey

1/2 part coco powder.

I've added rice crispies to it, as well as vanilla and a bit of salt.

2 or 3 healthy ingredients depending how you look at it, make up a very healthy indulgence.

Vegetarian Soup. Feeds 4.

Chop up two onions and some garlic, and fry in butter, or Oil if vegan.

Add some carrot, snow peas, broccoli, and potato.

Fry briskly with some curry powder thrown on top then add boiling water from the kettle.

Add diced vegetarian or vegan to the mix.

Beetroot. Beetroot is a must! It can not be left out if you want vegetarian soup to be good.

I hope you enjoy :)

Seth

Go spicy! :) Tofu, nuts, and your sources of protein will need some livening up. I find Thai food and Indian food to be wonderful. Indian foods are often intended to be vegetarian so very well balanced and flavoursome. Thai food is normally intended to have meat and fish, but a minor adaptation gives you lovely flavours and no need for animals :)

You will soon feel very clear minded and energetic on your new diet, good move!

Will you be consuming fish and just removing red-meat/poultry from the diet?

I've removed red-meat and poultry -- period, but still consume fish and some cheese once in a while. Reason being is that it's difficult to maintain a solid stream of protein going purely vegetables without consuming a ton of beans, although I don't enjoy eating animals or animal by-products, but like Taoist principles, I'm taking the middle path. :P

As far as cheese, ugh, it tastes soo good!

Will you be consuming fish and just removing red-meat/poultry from the diet?

I've removed red-meat and poultry -- period, but still consume fish and some cheese once in a while. Reason being is that it's difficult to maintain a solid stream of protein going purely vegetables without consuming a ton of beans, although I don't enjoy eating animals or animal by-products, but like Taoist principles, I'm taking the middle path. :P

As far as cheese, ugh, it tastes soo good!

I do not eat fish either.

On her website Karen (forget her name here)

Karen ;)

The recipe for the healthy chocolate "fudge" that uses coconut oil is here.

It's more a concept than a recipe - I never measure anything, just mix stuff in to taste.

So simple to do, you do it right in the container that you want to store it in, no need for a blender or anything else. All you mess up are a few spoons, which you of course lick, so cleanup is simple.

What I've been adding to it recently is hemp seeds! Gives a bit of a crunch if you use enough of it. Real super food.

Edited by karen

Sign in to follow this