mantis

spetsnaz

OcuYpR1CnIg

some of the typical hard qigong feats in there; makes you wonder if any of those abilities are really anything special or unique after all?

Β 

some of the typical hard qigong feats in there; makes you wonder if any of those abilities are really anything special or unique after all?

Β 

Β 

:angry:

Β 

Sorry, Mantis,

Β 

but so not impressed.

Β 

Look like games kids play?

Β 

but then maybe we played a little wilder back then?

Β 

LOL

Β 

What do you think of it yourself Mantis ?

Β 

Have you learned to roll in your school?

Β 

Thanks for sharing it!

Β 

Shon

OcuYpR1CnIg

Β 

Β 

Β 

this is common in Silat Schools, Ninjutsu schools, and internal MA.

Β 

It does require breathing training and also some form of Meditation + breath work.

Β 

You could do it with out but it would be "harder".

From what I know the Spetsnaz's martial art is Systema or at least the two main teachers, Vlad and Mickhail, are both Spetsnaz or ex-spetsnaz in Vlad's case.

Β 

Systema is an intriguing martial art. It is said by some (unverified) that during the Russian/Chinese communist era, China sent many of its martial experts to Russia, and vice versa, to help train each others super soldiers.

Β 

So it shares some interesting things in common with eastern M.A. It would anyway I guess considering Russia's proximity to Mongolia and China, But It has definitely retained its own unique flavor.

Β 

I practice Yang Mian, and the similarities are amazing. Where one lacks something the other fills in, and in training both they only seem to complement each other.

Β 

Seth.

Isn't systema heavily rooted in Russian Orthodox Christianity at the higher levels?

Β 

Never trained it and don't know much about it, but a few of my back home buddies have and I seem to remember them telling me that . . .

Β 

It seems like their striking style is very similar to IMA from what I've seen as well. Not so much that they're working with energy, but they'r throwing the strike rather than pushing it like in Western boxing.

Β 

Something like the difference between thrusting a baseball bat at someones head and swinging it.

Isn't systema heavily rooted in Russian Orthodox Christianity at the higher levels?

Β 

Β 

These are the kind of statements that make my day.

Some other genius was saying that Jesus Christ was just a mushroom.

Now it turns out that Jesus was in fact a karate guy and he taught it to the russians in secret.

Β 

You could say that. The main Systema guys like Ryabko for example are very religious. IMO, it's where a lot of their ability is coming from, faith can be a very powerful thing.

These are the kind of statements that make my day.

Some other genius was saying that Jesus Christ was just a mushroom.

Now it turns out that Jesus was in fact a karate guy and he taught it to the russians in secret.

Β 

LOL!

LOL!

Β 

Β 

Think I had seen some videos of these guys involving incredible leg strength?

And the ways they produce/practice such strength?

Not sure, would have been a few years back?

Think maybe there was some "free running" involved?

Not sure? Will have to look for them as time allows!

Β 

Stay well,

Shon

IMHO - Most of what is shown in the video would fall under the classification of martial tricks and are almost all explainable without resorting to mysterious abilities (which I do believe exist). For example - the knife cutting the apple on the guys stomach - I've seen that done before with a Katana - impressive to watch, but it is based on the way the blade actually cuts (pushing/pulling) motion - when the blade makes contact with the skin the force is moving in one direction rather than two, so it does not cut the skin. Still, it is fun to watch :) The first trick in the video is doable by almost anyone. Some of my previous instructors have explained the use of these martial tricks in two ways - one, to fool the public and gain students - two, to push students past their conception of fear and self-imposed limiting beliefs.

Β 

I do love watching these types of demonstrations, thanks for posting this :)

-Darin

OcuYpR1CnIg

Β 

Β 

Interesting. What's the point/goal/aim?

Interesting. What's the point/goal/aim?

Β 

It's the usual russian neocommunist propaganda "We are so special that - we have our own martial arts!"

Hi unconditioned, I''d agree with djs that (at least if its systema we are talking about) the goal of all these things is to build confidence and to overcome fear. Systema has a lot of focus on overcoming fear - from being choked and grappled while other students are pushing, punching and kicking you, and your only practice is to try and stay calm and maintain proper breathing, to things like the knife drop in the vid, or broken glass push ups.

Β 

Wudangquan the punching is very 'Soft' like some IMA. no muscular strength involved but alot of 'sink' power as in it doesnt hit the target as much as 'sink' through the target. Ouch.

Β 

Shon, I'd love to see that vid if you can find it, there does seem to be freerunning like elements in Systema as ive noticed before :)

Β 

And its true that Mickhail Ryabko is deeply religious and views His Systema practice as an extension of his religious practice. He has even built a private little chapel for himself at the back of his house, for his religious practice in solitude.

I dont know if then all high level Systema is focused on the Russian Orthodox faith, I don't think so but he is one of the main teachers, and he may teach it that way.

Β 

Did anyone See a special on Russian Supermen years ago where one guy put a transparent plastic bag over his head and then submerged himself in boiling water for 19 mins, with his head under fully. The reporter burnt herself when she went to touch the water he was in? I want to see that footage again. Spectacular.

Β 

Seth Ananda

Hi unconditioned, I''d agree with djs that (at least if its systema we are talking about) the goal of all these things is to build confidence and to overcome fear. Systema has a lot of focus on overcoming fear - from being choked and grappled while other students are pushing, punching and kicking you, and your only practice is to try and stay calm and maintain proper breathing, to things like the knife drop in the vid, or broken glass push ups.

Β 

Wudangquan the punching is very 'Soft' like some IMA. no muscular strength involved but alot of 'sink' power as in it doesnt hit the target as much as 'sink' through the target. Ouch.

Β 

Shon, I'd love to see that vid if you can find it, there does seem to be freerunning like elements in Systema as ive noticed before :)

Β 

And its true that Mickhail Ryabko is deeply religious and views His Systema practice as an extension of his religious practice. He has even built a private little chapel for himself at the back of his house, for his religious practice in solitude.

I dont know if then all high level Systema is focused on the Russian Orthodox faith, I don't think so but he is one of the main teachers, and he may teach it that way.

Β 

Did anyone See a special on Russian Supermen years ago where one guy put a transparent plastic bag over his head and then submerged himself in boiling water for 19 mins, with his head under fully. The reporter burnt herself when she went to touch the water he was in? I want to see that footage again. Spectacular.

Β 

Seth Ananda

Β 

Β 

You can't talk about systema without mentioning "grandpa" or Mr Kadochnikov who trained green berets way before most of the taobums were even born and actually initially it was called систСма ΠΊΠ°Π΄ΠΎΡ‡Π½ΠΈΠΊΠΎΠ²Π° (or Kaochnikov's systema) and his explanations involved always scientific examples like physics - the Christian Orthodox faith is just the russian religion by default - but has nothing to do with the practice - you could be of any religion.

Β 

Here's systema in Israel for example

Β 

Β 

Β 

and Mr Kadochnikov of course

You can't talk about systema without mentioning "grandpa" or Mr Kadochnikov who trained green berets way before most of the taobums were even born and actually initially it was called систСма ΠΊΠ°Π΄ΠΎΡ‡Π½ΠΈΠΊΠΎΠ²Π° (or Kaochnikov's systema) and his explanations involved always scientific examples like physics - the Christian Orthodox faith is just the russian religion by default - but has nothing to do with the practice - you could be of any religion.

Β 

Here's systema in Israel for example

Β 

and Mr Kadochnikov of course

Thanks Orb, thats as I thought. I have some Kadochnikov dvd's. pretty funny stuff - How to ram through car blockades, run other cars off the road... They really dont mind smashing up old cars. James bond training B)

Seth