Sign in to follow this  
The Genuine Article

An Odd Question But A Sincere One

okay since the tender age of about six i have practice boxing as a sport off and on and i was wondring if boxing it being physical can be applied to tao for a person like myself since tao revolves around the spiritual, physical and mental aspect?

absolutely... lots of bums here do. Check out Vajrasattva's posts. He has some youtube files too. Maybe pm him for some of those.

I don`t know about boxing (or anything else about martial arts except as a kind of theoretical thing) but my take is that you would 'apply' Tao to boxing. I`m experimenting it with horseriding and getting very cool results.

What kind of boxing do you do? Because Chinese boxing is by far THE BEST!

:D

Love it!

Vipassana + Bagua is my personal recipe. It really paves the way towards enlightenment.

Metta.

does boxing help maintain your chi? just wondering?

That's like saying "Does basketball help maintain your chi?" Chi exists whether you know it or not and by cultivating it you can become aware of it and maybe control it to a certain degree. But if you don't make a conscious effort in that regard I doubt that it will present itself to you just because you are boxing. You have to educate yourself - there are many methods that are even studied to a scientific level, you need to know what to train for and how. A lot of martial arts include a certain knowledge and training methods in order to cultivate it, so it doesn't mean that it can't be used with boxing.

does boxing help maintain your chi? just wondering?

funny u should ask that question. I was boxing sunday and reflecting on th same question..

came to think about the "sink down lift guard" ...you sink down & keep centered stepping in and out..

circling..I also practise qigong daily.

the sinking down is..very similar to the wuji position reached through horsestance or zanshuan as others call it.

I bet you would love doing taiji/shadowboxing and recognizing in yourself the weighttransitions slowmotion.

Then you can add some more consciousness simultaneously, to breathing technique, - and there you go :)

that is if you havent already?

Edited by rain

If it helps you get to know yourself

then yes.

If it serves to hide you from yourself

the no.

Michael

Sign in to follow this