froggie

help with public speaking

help with public speaking

does anyone have any tips on improving on public speaking?

some courses to follow maybe

and also for approaching any individual, should it be important (and i think that also many times it is)

to adress people individually also, be it for their own personal improvement or any thin of that nature .....

Heya Froggie,

I would recommend Brian Tracy's "Speak to Win" as a good starter. Anything I could say, plus more would be in there. Getting DVD's and CD's of good speakers (Anthony Robbins etc.), regardless of their topic, and modelling yourself on them is a great way to get yourself heading in the right direction.

Learning to be a public speaker and seminar presenter has been one of the most rewarding challenges I have faced. Learning to communicate openly and clearly with people is a continual process of clearing out the elements of one's personality that are blockages to good communication.

One of the 'secrets' of success in this area is 'Mutual Attraction'. For your words to be heard, recieved, internalised and acted upon their has to be mutual rapport. They must like you and you must like them. You can be the most eloquent speaker in the world, but without mutual attraction between speaker and audience then your words will fall flat. And of course the reverse is true.

And yes I believe you should approach people individually. In a presentation you are not doing just 'one' presentation, you are doing as many as there are people before you. So whilst giving an overall generic presentation you must individualise it as much as practical so that each member of the audience is feeling like, "Hey he is speaking right to me on my level."

Good luck with it all Froggie ... what is your field if I may ask?

Cool post.

I've found Toastmasters to be particularly helpful (as well as being inexpensive). There are clubs all over the world.

Apart from the help that it gives you with public speaking, it`s just nice to go there of an evening to hear what other people are talking about when they are free to do so (i.e. not in a corporate or 'goal-oriented' discourse)

It feels (at least where I go) quite like a campfire talking evening. I've heard some really amazing stories.

The organisation's overpromotion of itself can get annoying. I thought that was kind of weird, but I took it as a lesson in PR speaking and not too seriously (would suggest not taking anything too too serious is a good call for anything.

If you are in California, or have the means to travel there check out:

http://www.speakingcircles.com/

I got a lot out of it. It's like the Tao of public speaking, very cool. He has some books and CDs too, I'm sure you can get some stuff out of that too, but it won't compare to actually going to one of his events.

Best,

Sean

ahhh, finally some decent time to finish this reply here ...

to the question about my field of interests,

basically i am interested in thinking, writing and speaking about future ecology, future economy, future 'government' (though there should become Less of it, it shouldn't exactly be based on the conservative, etc. way, in my humble but yet not at all even in the slightest humble opinion :) and really any and everything along those kind of things.

other than that, i think it's a perfect companion to be social, well and fair to just anyone, really, in a way.

:)

and also my interests go out very deeply into healing, respectful and great martial art (for defense, mostly, although pre-emptive can be good very very Very some times, it takes a great great mind to do that, because of the big responsability and let's say 'universal harmoniousness'? :)

at the moment i have what is called a reiki masters and grandmasters degree, but ofcourse it's just only the beginning in my opinion. .....it really is. but i am thankful for all the teachers, of the present and from the past and for the future. :)

that's, basically, it. :)

also i would like to say thanks for the replies to my questions and topics so far and also i hope that my posts are and can be useful as well.

froggie - innergy - joel

Edited by froggie

Congratulations on your direction to speak about future ecology, future economy, future 'government'. Worthy topics and we need more folks like yourself to step up and be heard.

What type of presentations are you wanting to give? Like lectures for students? Public lectures? Small groups? Workshops?

And you are absolutely right that knowing how to speak and communicate properly are intrinsic for social harmony ... good for you.

Sounds like the Frog and the Stig could have lots to talk about.

Cheers,