froggie

5 element diet

Yes following yin and yang is a must, but practicing high level Neigong is better than diet.

About goji berries:

Since the early 21st century, the dried fruit has been marketed in the West as a health food (typically under the name "Tibetan goji berry"), often accompanied by scientifically-unsupported claims regarding its purported health benefits.

By unconfirmed reports, its most recognized nutritional attribute is an exceptional level of vitamin C, reputed to be among the highest in natural plants.[citation needed] However, demonstrated by independent assays on dried berries to actually be in a range of 29-148 mg per 100 grams of fruit, the level is actually comparable to many citrus fruits and strawberries. Although considered nutritionally "excellent", wolfberry's vitamin C content is considerably lower than for numerous other fruits and berries, such as the Australian Kakadu "billy goat" plum (Terminalia ferdinandiana), blackcurrant, and sea-buckthorn.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfberry)

Blueberries are far more powerful and cheaper than the former:

Beginning in 2005, blueberries have been discussed among a category of functional foods called superfruits having the favorable combination of nutrient richness, antioxidant strength, emerging research evidence for health benefits and versatility for manufacturing popular consumer products....

....Researchers have shown that blueberry anthocyanins, proanthocyanidins, resveratrol, flavonols, and tannins inhibit mechanisms of cancer cell development and inflammation in vitro. Similar to red grape, some blueberry species contain in their skins significant levels of resveratrol, a phytochemical with increasing evidence as an anti-cancer compound.

Although most studies below were conducted using the highbush cultivar of blueberries (V. corymbosum), content of polyphenol antioxidants and anthocyanins in lowbush (wild) blueberries (V. angustifolium) exceeds values found in highbush species.

At a 2007 symposium on berry health benefits were reports showing consumption of blueberries (and similar berry fruits including cranberries) may alleviate the cognitive decline occurring in Alzheimer's disease and other conditions of aging.

Feeding blueberries to animals lowers brain damage in experimental stroke. Research at Rutgers has also shown that blueberries may help prevent urinary tract infections.

Other animal studies found that blueberry consumption lowered cholesterol and total blood lipid levels, possibly affecting symptoms of heart disease. Additional research showed that blueberry consumption in rats altered glycosaminoglycans which are vascular cell components affecting control of blood pressure. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueberry)

honey and butter rice congee nourishes yin and the five organs according to The Book of Jook by Bob Flaws

Edited by Desert Eagle

I eat both and find the goji berry or wolfberry to be far more powerfull than blueberries. After eating the goji for several days I actually feel physically stronger. It is highly treasured in chinese medicine as a very powerful tonic aiding the kidneys, liver, and bone marrow, blood purifier and skin cleanser among many other things. Ron Teegaurden says it is a 5 star tonic and one of the most highly treasured, this is not because of its vitamin C content which you can find in lots of foods. Try blueberries for 1 week and then wolfberries, in my opinion there is no comparison. I must say that I do like the taste of blueberries much better. I blend the wolfberries with apple juice and it goes down better.

I have found something interesting additionally (and inspired by your reply posts)

about the yin and yang of food, for example Umeshoban as a remedy and to bring one into balance again, for example after eating too much, i believe? Anyway, it sounds like a good remedy to have at home for when you need it. It is ume (sourplum) with shoyu and some kind of a roasted tea. it sounds like a nice dinner accompanying drink by any way. Here is one link to that: http://www.macrobiotics.nl/library/ume.html

Speaking of Taoist diets...I've been wondering about the following?

1) Early Taoism advocates abstaining from grains (pigu) for better health and longevity. This is to avoid feeding the 3 "demonic" parasitics worms that reside in the intestines (or brain, chest & belly).

My question is what exactly do they consider grains (does this include beans?) and do they literally mean physical parasites, or are they talking about some astral entities? Although, I would suspect something physical since they did not say they were etheric...

And finally, is there any actual effective basis to this?

2) Why exactly do Buddhists abstain from Alliaceae (garlic, onions, etc)? I've heard several speculations, but does anyone know the original reason?

3) If Taoists and Buddhists abstain from meat, alcohol, grains...what's left to eat? Vegetables, sprouts, fruits and nuts? Or no nuts?

Edited by vortex

Speaking of Taoist diets...I've been wondering about the following?

1) Early Taoism advocates abstaining from grains (pigu) for better health and longevity. This is to avoid feeding the 3 "demonic" parasitics worms that reside in the intestines (or brain, chest & belly).

My question is what exactly do they consider grains (does this include beans?) and do they literally mean physical parasites, or are they talking about some astral entities? Although, I would suspect something physical since they did not say they were etheric...

And finally, is there any actual effective basis to this?

2) Why exactly do Buddhists abstain from Alliaceae (garlic, onions, etc)? I've heard several speculations, but does anyone know the original reason?

3) If Taoists and Buddhists abstain from meat, alocohol, grains...what's left to eat? Vegetables, sprouts, fruits and nuts? Or no nuts?

In reply to Vortex:

1. When they say grains, they usually mention 5 of them. Wheat, barley, millet, rice, and beans. Taoists advocate abstaining from grains is a good idea. Even today there are "no carb" diets noting that too much will make you fat (though today's carbs usually lack fiber which helps mitigate it). The carbs or starch provide food for parasites. It is still possible today to get parasites or worms. If anyone is interested in getting cleaned out I recommend www.ariseandshine.com. I think what Taoists have said should be taken at face value and grains should not be eaten. Google Taoist five grains for more info.

2. Buddhists don't eat anything from the onion/garlic family. It stimulates your hormones which include sexual ones.

3. There is less to eat without carbs. Buddhists do not usually talk about not eating grains like Taoists do so they don't have that problem. Some Taoists lines do not abstain totally from meat, grains or alchohol. Stating to deny some impulses is not following the way. Some lines are traditional and do abstain from grains. They eat vegetables, sprouts, fruits and nuts like you said. I would conider it like a human rabbit diet. If you are interested more look up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Qing_Yuen he subsisted on mostly above ground plants and he lived to be over 200 years old.

i agree with Dr. Dcup on the alcohol thing for 2 reasons; most Immortals from the stories indulged regularly in drinking and well, they're immortal, the 2nd reason is that i've heard that men in siberia drink vodka all their lives and lived to average 100 and if you even don't believe it was becasue of the vodka itself, most experts state that a glass of red wine a day keeps cancer away so there must be something in it that helps you in the long run. of course thats as long as you don't over indulge because the poison is too potent then.

heck it might be because its a poison that your body can moderately handle that helps you, like it poisons the bacteria, viruses, cancer cells what have you so that you natural defences can take care of them easier.

Again, i must state clearly not to overindulge drinking. Not because i think anyone here would do it but because i don't want any young'ins using it as an excuse like so many other things that get misconstrued.

I also know quite a few of my friends are "fruitarians", which is to say they eat only fruits and nuts with occasional vegetables and only meat from things they kill themselves (bout once a year because of deer hunting season), and are extremely healthy. and the only work-out i ever see them do is walking to class. idk what they do exactly but it works for them.

In reply to Vortex:

1. When they say grains, they usually mention 5 of them. Wheat, barley, millet, rice, and beans. Taoists advocate abstaining from grains is a good idea. Even today there are "no carb" diets noting that too much will make you fat (though today's carbs usually lack fiber which helps mitigate it). The carbs or starch provide food for parasites. It is still possible today to get parasites or worms. If anyone is interested in getting cleaned out I recommend www.ariseandshine.com. I think what Taoists have said should be taken at face value and grains should not be eaten. Google Taoist five grains for more info.

I bet the taoists would be even more against refined sugar then! :D (candies, etc.) :)