Sign in to follow this  
Gerard

Retreat advice

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice of a good place to go to in Thailand for a 3 weeks retreat.

I came across a couple of years ago with a guy who recommended me a place that was ideal for long term retreats. You were basically on your own. Problem is that I didn't get those details.

Maybe someone in this forum knows either that place or somewhere similar.

Thanks in advance.

With Metta.

:)

There are a bunch of them but I don't have specific experience with this so wouldn't want to suggest one.

I think just stay away from the places that are run through tour groups or Buddhist "businesses" in the West which charge a bunch of money.

If I were going to do it I would just ruck up in Bangkok or Chang Mai.

In all of the tourist areas you can find advertisements for forest retreats that are done as mission work.

If you go around the big Wats around KSR you can find the place to attend the Buddhist Sunday School that the king patronizes which are held in English.

If you're just going to do it for 3 weeks - You can do that on a tourist visa. Why not just go into the forest by yourself for a bit? I think (although I don't know) that at those forest retreats all they do is have you meditate all day and feed you a bowl of noodles in the morning.

Up country you can find all the peace you want. :)

Up in Roi-et there was a very small temple with maybe 6 or 8 monks and they were always trying to crop me in.

Seriously though . . . If you're going for 3 weeks, and aren't looking for specific instruction - I'de pack a bag and just get on a plane, take a bus to Inthanon national park or something and just parlay with the forest for a few weeks.

Oh conversely - The temple that John Rambo was building in Rambo 3 was the one at Inthanon I believe. It's an incredible place.

EDIT:::::::

Search for this: เขาน้ำย้อย

The romanized spelling should be something like Koa Num Yooil but I'm not to sure about that.

Some photos of inthanon

doi-inthanon-national-park3.jpg

Thailand%20National%20Park2_thumb[1].jpg

I lived there for years and am basically fluent so if you need any help with logistic stuff or how to say certain things you might need to say - just shoot me a pm.

Edited by wudangquan

Seriously though . . . If you're going for 3 weeks, and aren't looking for specific instruction - I'de pack a bag and just get on a plane, take a bus to Inthanon national park or something and just parlay with the forest for a few weeks.

Some photos of inthanon

doi-inthanon-national-park3.jpg

Thailand%20National%20Park2_thumb[1].jpg

wudangquan,

That is the king and queen building isn't it? There should be another one exactly like it just 200m next to it. Is a beautiful spot right up at the peak. Air is a little bit thinner and much cooler than in Chiang Mai and a whole lot less polluted than the city. I think it took me 2-3 hours of riding to get up to the peak when I was last there.

A lot closer to Chiang Mai would be Doi Suthep which can be pretty remote if you stay off the tracks. There are quite a few waterfalls and hills you can wander about in if you are up for it.

Enjoy your practice,

mouse

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice of a good place to go to in Thailand for a 3 weeks retreat.

I came across a couple of years ago with a guy who recommended me a place that was ideal for long term retreats. You were basically on your own. Problem is that I didn't get those details.

Maybe someone in this forum knows either that place or somewhere similar.

Thanks in advance.

With Metta.

:)

There was a monastery, near chiang mai. It would give 4 week long retreats, but you could remain for less. You were giving donations, and you were expected for the time inside to follow the rules. It would teach vipassana. I don't remember the details, either. But it shouldn't be that hard to find. Oh, the info were in English. Maybe, if you find it, you could post the details for the next person. :)

There are several retreat temples around Chaing Mai that are donation based.

Wat Woriwihan Chom Tong which is about 1.5 hours south west of Chaing Mai usually has western teachers and the first course is about 21 days. Its a Vipassana course based on the teachings of Mahasi Sayadaw. Its an individual practice with reporting to a teacher daily.

Wat Doi Suthep has retreats as well as Wat Rampung both around Chaing Mai.

I have a pdf file of many temples and their programs in Thailand. PM me and i can send that to you or give you more information about Chom Tong.

Sign in to follow this