Sign in to follow this  
mantis

peace corps

after reading William Bodri's article something really clicked i suppose - watching a documentary on the tibetan book of the dead last night probably didn't help. i was considering volunteer work previously, as it would be a good way to both travel and help people around the world.

that being said i found out about the peace corps while googling volunteer work here in miami

http://www.peacecorps.gov/

due to the fact i don't have a college degree i am not yet qualified to apply but i thought that it might be a good idea to get the name out there.

peace

The minimum requirements for Peace Corps are:

18 years of age or older

U.S. citizenship

A four-year college degree, or solid work experience in an area such as agriculture, business management, or a skilled trade. A community college degree paired with specific skills or work experience may also qualify you.

:(

I have friends who were in the peace corps. One wandered Africa on horseback teaching people how to dig wells, rotate crops, etc. The other was sent to the middle east to teach rural people English, but when she got there it was very clear that learning English was the last thing these people wanted or needed. She left her little school house, walked into a small nearby town, and hooked up with another foreign woman who was working as a midwife... something they really did need.

I just hopped on the site and all it says is that a degree may help

Having a four-year college degree by the time you're ready to leave for the Peace Corps will help your chances of acceptance. But it isn't absolutely necessary, and for some programs work experience, relevant skills, and/or a community college degree can qualify you.

yeah i agree. i've never had a job either though so we'll see if they decide to accept me or not.

Sign in to follow this