Unconditioned

Horrible Posture

I have very bad posture... when I meditate I usually have to sit in a chair or sit cross-legged on the sofa with a pillow under me. I've tried to sit on the floor with a pillow under me but the lower part of my spine i curved as if i'm slouching even when I'm trying to keep my back as straight as possible. It is also very painful on my inner thighs/ groin area when trying to sit cross legged on the floor.

Does anyone else suffer from poor posture or has 'recovered' from it? I'd like to fix the problem but want to go about it in a gradual/safe way rather than 'forcing' myself to sit in a position that is very painful and/or doing more harm than good. Maybe the answer is just to endure it for a while, not sure though...

Put it this way, I can't touch my toes, nor have I ever been able to do this even when i was very athletic. The flip side is that I've never really worked at stretching or trying to improve my posture... until now.

I really should've listened to my teachers all those years that gave me a hard time for not sitting up straight!

Good posture generally means a healthy spine. Good posture also requires less muscular effort to hold in place, thanks to core strength.

Many ideas spring to mind, including:

- Qigong

- Any martial art, the more internal the better

- Alexander technique

- Chiropractic therapy (though, this is best backed up with any of the aforementioned)

You may be interested to know that grey matter has been found in the spinal chord and its role in the body is being re-examined. Look after your spine well, but DO NOT pay attention to the teachers of your past - the western idea of a good posture is very much military based (chest out, etc.)... very much like our education system, funnily enough. Good ol' Prussians.

Yours,

James

Suggest:

If you are sitting in chair or posture you need firm support i.e. not pillow. Try telephone directories or something firm built up to the height of the span of your hand - bound up with tape (or similar) or make yourself a small stool out of wood. Sit close to the edge of it and put your tummy slightly forward to give your spine an s shape.

You might like to look at Esther Gokhale's work - try this 1-hr presentation:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Awesome video, Karen!

I also think stretching the hamstrings is really important for overall posture...more so than any other stretch.

You may actually want to see a medical professional regarding this, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Sometimes poor posture is caused by modern everyday work/living. We sit in front of computers and watch TV etc while engaged in poor posture. This means that our back muscles are weak compared to our abs. I have had a number of back and shoulder injuries that I now believe were related to the modern work environment/being overweight and an over focus on weightlifting with the front of the body. A year or so ago, I was not able to remain seated in meditation without back support, I am now able to do this for a long period of time. Many people will say that it is just a matter of aligning your bones/musculoskeletal system properly. In my opinion this is incorrect. If you are overweight, or have muscular imbalances (most frequently a weak back and strong abs) then this will not be accurate for you. Research the work of Stuart McGill and related authors; learn about your back/spine. It will help you.

Finally, take your time and experiment. It has taken me a long time and a number of injuries to understand how to correct my posture. There are also a number of good books on the subject, which I can recommend if you like. In the end, experience is your teacher. Good luck and Best wishes!

-Darin

Wow thank you all for the great advice - at least I have a place to start now instead of 'guessing'. My assumption is that with a healthy posture, my meditation will become 'richer' (for lack of a better word) as energy can more easily flow across a 'straight' road vs. a very winding one.

Thanks again, I really love this forum, so helpful!

Wow thank you all for the great advice - at least I have a place to start now instead of 'guessing'. My assumption is that with a healthy posture, my meditation will become 'richer' (for lack of a better word) as energy can more easily flow across a 'straight' road vs. a very winding one.

Thanks again, I really love this forum, so helpful!

swimming dragon or snake gong is essential for opening the spine and the inherent energetic blocages that creates bad posture.

One thing is lifestyle, another is emotions and toxins that creates stiff tissue and fascia.

Also, depleting jing and kidney energy creates bad posture.

For me opening the heart area of the spine has done wonders.

h

I got just the thing for ya:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_articl..._that_hunchback

www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/neanderthal_no_more_part_i

www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/neanderthal_no_more_part_ii

www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/neanderthal_no_more_iii

www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/neanderthal_no_more_iv

www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=535872

i think sitting up straight in the sitting meditation postures is about balance.

Also a zafu (meditation cushion) seems to help

I just noticed this yesterday, and maybe it's just me, but if you extend your pinky fingers straight out (other fingers can be relaxed or curled into a loose fist)...it seems to trigger something to straighten up your spine. This seems to work particularly well when I'm standing up, my arms are hanging straight down and my pinkies are pointing straight down as well towards the ground.

I just got Esther Gokhale's book today from amazon. It was $16.47, and it's actually worth like probably 40 bucks in quality. Awesome deal. I haven't read it yet...will report back.

I just noticed this yesterday, and maybe it's just me, but if you extend your pinky fingers straight out (other fingers can be relaxed or curled into a loose fist)...it seems to trigger something to straighten up your spine. This seems to work particularly well when I'm standing up, my arms are hanging straight down and my pinkies are pointing straight down as well towards the ground.

interesting vortex..I've been watching videos of me doing standing spontaneous qigong and the pinky's are definitely only appearing when the body is searching for straightning alignment of spine. It happens pointing down, but also when I point in horisontal line at shoulderheight. Most of the time the indexfinger points simultaneously with the pinky and when done standing with arms raised in shoulderheight it guides the rest of the body and tunes in, serious concentration on lower dantien.

Edited by rain

Scotty, let me know how you like the book. I have been basking in it the past week. Even just the photos are inspirational. What a shame that the cover had to be so tacky by comparison! I hope she produces a DVD at some point.

interesting vortex..I've been watching videos of me doing standing spontaneous qigong and the pinky's are definitely only appearing when the body is searching for straightning alignment of spine. It happens pointing down, but also when I point in horisontal line at shoulderheight. Most of the time the indexfinger points simultaneously with the pinky and when done standing with arms raised in shoulderheight it guides the rest of the body and tunes in, serious concentration on lower dantien.

Rain, This sounds like The Cats Meow.

Edited by Spectrum

Rain, This sounds like The Cats Meow.

move on :)

Edited by rain

I have very bad posture...

it is a very long way... a daily practice for more than 10 years of qi-circulation (大周天 - 小周天) using qigong-exercises like 神棍疏泄 can improve the posture...

Hello

I realy enjoyed Esther Gokhale's work! Have always had a suspisious atitude towards the s shaped back!

I noticed a difference from my iron shirt practise in the mantak chia system. We practise iron shirt with the tail bone in and not out as in her work. Otherwais the principles simes to be wery like. Well perhaps there is a difference betwean daily life and practise to.

Anybody else noticed this difference?

F D

I have very bad posture... when I meditate I usually have to sit in a chair or sit cross-legged on the sofa with a pillow under me. I've tried to sit on the floor with a pillow under me but the lower part of my spine i curved as if i'm slouching even when I'm trying to keep my back as straight as possible. It is also very painful on my inner thighs/ groin area when trying to sit cross legged on the floor.

Does anyone else suffer from poor posture or has 'recovered' from it? I'd like to fix the problem but want to go about it in a gradual/safe way rather than 'forcing' myself to sit in a position that is very painful and/or doing more harm than good. Maybe the answer is just to endure it for a while, not sure though...

Put it this way, I can't touch my toes, nor have I ever been able to do this even when i was very athletic. The flip side is that I've never really worked at stretching or trying to improve my posture... until now.

I really should've listened to my teachers all those years that gave me a hard time for not sitting up straight!

Pilates and or Iyengar yoga are in my opinion superb for posture. Yin yoga is probably most effecient for stretching

I just got Esther Gokhale's book today from amazon. It was $16.47, and it's actually worth like probably 40 bucks in quality. Awesome deal. I haven't read it yet...will report back.

I'm also interested but don't have the $$ right now (layoffs are going on majorly at my job, need all the $$ I can to save!).

Let me know how it is!