Sign in to follow this  
mYTHmAKER

Shoes - Sneakers

I usually wear Mcbeth Eliot sneakers to play Tai chi outdoors.

They are similar to converse - canvas with flat bottom and slight arch .

I like to feel the ground under me.

I don't like heels that rock or toes that curve upward or too much cushioning where you float.

Now that winter is coming i need to replace them with something warmer and or waterproof.

Any ideas

Thanks

hemp-rope shoes, espardilles, vans hemp surfshoes, maybe lined with wool or cotton if that exists (or extra thick socks?), waterproof them with 'textile waterproof spray'

Edited by froggie

ecco

dr.martens

My 1460 8 eye greasy doc's are finally getting a bit too old. They lasted as well as my last pair so I shouldn't complain but they were made in China which makes the $200aud price a bit excessive and they didn't seem quite as comfortable for a days walking. I ended up replacing the foam innersoles in them (I think they call that a footbed) previous English made pairs did not have innersoles.

So I'm looking for boot suggestions that will go with jeans and be comfy to walk the streets for a few hours a day + get in to clubs which rules out my favorite kung fu and tai chi shoe Volley's Dirt cheap basic all purpose shoe.

Actually I have a nice dark blue orange pair that probably would get into clubs although they do sport the distinctive wear marks :lol:

ecco looks intresting, as do earth shoes. Colorado's were big for a while

edit: Turns out you can still get the Vintage 1460 which is the English made shoe

but cheaper is the 1460 for life that has a lifetime repair replace guarantee

(except laces and footbeds) + a $35 "admin fee"

or just the 1460 which is $119 US

Any ideas

As a caveat let me say that I sell comfort shoes for a living.

I personally use the Adidas Samba 2. It is actually an indoor soccer shoe with a relatively decent arch and pretty stiff outsole. Have done many, many hours of form, push hands, weapons, you name it. Never any issue.

If you need an outdoor shoe for winter(waterproof), you might look at some of the Salomon trail-running shoes. They have several offering that come with Gore-Tex.

Earth shoes might work for you or they might not. I generally don't recommend them for people with a lot of pressure in their heels. They bring you back into your heels 3.7% and you may not need that type of adjustment.

ECCO are very nice shoes. A very practical style would be the Seawalker. It has a very soft leather and is very lightweight. The midsole is PU and the outsole is TPU. So I don't think you would burn through the sole very quickly. Plus, it is very comfortable and fits orthotic inserts well if that is a need. The only downside is that you probably won't be able to get into a decent ECCO for anything less than $130-$160 USD. The other shoes I mentioned should be less.

Good luck on your hunt!

this may not be what you want for winter, but parkour people tend to like them. This will bring you closer to earth than any other shoe without sacrificing protection, they are also waterproof, but for going to the river or off shore.

Vibram Five Fingers

Terra Plana has a shoe designed to give you the natural benefits of barefoot walking, and comes from conventional shoe design. Terra Plana I personally like their sandal, the Leonidas under Vivo Barefoot.

I just bought some terra plana sandals and had a very bad outcome.. the way they encourage the foot to move irritated some formerly injured ligaments in my foot and I had a swollen and painful foot for three weeks. awful, it was!

In order to get better I bought a lot of shoes. B)

I found MEPHISTO to be very good -

http://www.mephisto.com/spip.php?article53

a lot of support and something called 'soft air technology'....none of that hard air here, no siree. :huh:

Sign in to follow this