Sign in to follow this  
Pranaman

your teacher and online resources

anyone here noticed that there isn't anything online that is remotely as impressive as your martial arts teacher in person?

at first I naively assumed that since I can't find a single punch thrown on the internet as refined as my teacher's, than it's just because he's badass. then i came to this.

this is true. I believe my teacher is no desciple of his by any means but i've seen a picture of Chen Xiaowang correcting my teacher's posture some twenty or thirty years ago. i've seen this video, I'm sure I can't expect to experience the presence of power as intensely online as in person.

Like a lightning bolt hitting a nail on the head and receding into the clouds faster than it came. Obviously it punctured. The roar of the thunder pushed forward in echo. damn, i'm glad to not be in it's way.

This is the best way I can describe the punch I speak of.

There's nothing better then the real thing.

In true teaching there is communication back and forth. Still there are Dharma talks that I get podcasts (InfiniteSmile) of that strike a chord with me. In person they'd resonate even deeper.

An interesting hybrid is Varjatsu's Kap class I'm taking now. Its done using Skype and facebook. So classes are shared through interactive audio and supplemented with writings, videos and discussion forum. Its good, but real contact would be better.

Michael

The roar of the thunder pushed forward in echo.

Excellent description.

Edited by Spectrum

Sign in to follow this