Mal

TCM for bruising, aches and cuts

I don't often feel really stiff or sore, usually just my lower back and I don't drag out balms for it. I use a biomagnetic back brace which I only got for the "free" neck brace/warmer but the back brace actually seems to work so I didn't use it's money back garantee :)

But its grading time so I'm doing a fair bit of contact practice for my Jongs and I'm getting a bit bruised and not having enough recovery time before the next hands on practice. So it's favorite medicine question time :)

My Sigung likes Zheng Gu Shui

My Sifu likes western first aid (RICE) I often use cold packs after training and sometimes lasonil heparinoid ointment.

Anthony, the chinese take away owner I know who also does some TCM, recomended Five Photo Brand First Aid Antiseptic specifically for bruising. Trying that at the moment. Seems good. He said its also good for aches and pains "Good everywhere, have bath, rub on and repeat, repeat, repeat, while watching tv or whatever. Don't touch water for 30 min"

I sometimes use Po Sum On, its a tiny bottle but you just put 4 drops on a warm wet cloth and you can massage where you need (shoulders back, arms and legs) gets quite hot if you cover the skin with cloth after applying. I do that if I'm REALLY sore or use Tiger Balm Red, hotter than Po Sum On.

Anyone recommend a good one for stopping bleeding from scratches to the hands arms from fingernails? It's annoying waiting for them to stop bleeding and band aids falls off because I sweat heaps. I could use some spray on skin I guess (which I have in the past), but I like weird traditional things. A pic would be appreciated because I can't read chinese :) Yunnan pai yao I guess. nice reference http://savma.omnibooksonline.com/2006/papers/027.pdf Perhaps Five Photo Brand but I'm reluctant to rub on open cuts. Should ask Anthony, I THINK it's Zheng Gu Shui that shouldn't be used on cuts, can't remember.

Some pictures and descriptions here http://www.etamhoa.com/?cat_id=53

Just descriptions http://www.buddhachannel.tv/portail/spip.php?article2507

There's a very good book called "A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth: How to Treat your Injuries with Powerful Healing Secrets of the Great Chinese Warriors " by Tom Bisio, who is an acupuncture physician and martial artist, that may be useful to you. He covers things like therapies for cuts and lacerations, cupping and bleeding, liniments, poltices and plasters, herbal soaks, acupressure, massage, internal herbal formulas, and moxibustion. I remember one passage in the book where one of his Chinese teachers was really against using ice on injuries, stating that it was for dead people!

For lower back pain, some of his recommendations include: slow abdominal breathing, trauma pill 2x a day for 2-3 days, cup the injured area, trauma liniment, wu yang or yunnan paiyao plasters, press and massage BL 60 and BL 40. He also gives follow-up treatments, exercises, acupoints and massage, and dietary tips.

He also is partners in a school that teaches tui na and zhen gu, which seems to be something like physical therapy. They have programs for both acupuncturists and laymen. It sounds really impressive, I'd like to take some courses with them some time: Zheng Gu Tui Na: Chinese Medical Massage. Hope this helps --Ken

[bisio] also is partners in a school that teaches tui na and zhen gu, which seems to be something like physical therapy. They have programs for both acupuncturists and laymen. It sounds really impressive, I'd like to take some courses with them some time: Zheng Gu Tui Na: Chinese Medical Massage. Hope this helps --Ken

Ken,

I never heard of this book until your tip here, and it just arrived in the mail, courtesy Amazon used. This is a wonderful instruction manual! Very clear directions, 4 instruction levels that build on each other. Hand manipulations, chi kung exercises, and very specific tuina treatments for each level, including challenging conditions I face regularly as a bodyworker, like frozen shoulder, rotator cuff injuries, chondromalacia, and hypertension. What a treasure! I can hardly wait to try this stuff!
I can tell already I'm going to want his Tiger's Mouth book too.
Thank you so much for posting this.

I use Dit Da Jow for bruising and sprains. I like the version manufactured by one of my students as he adds "qigong empowerment" to the formula. I believe he buries it in the ground for a year before he bottles it. www.3twc.com is his website. I also sell it at my medical qigong clinic and it has become popular with the local martial artists.

I know you asked about TCM remedies but...

I have decades of experience fighting full contact Tae Kwon Do.

For bruising Arnica ointment works like magic. I have had the experience of hitting an elbow with my toes with a full speed roundhouse and hobbling off to put Arnica on immediately. I was able to continue sparring and the next day the toes were fine. Arnica works amazingly well when used immediately after the insult to prevent extensive bruising, or in some cases to prevent any bruising. Many fighters even put it on BEFORE practice on shins and forearms to help with training injuries. It is effective, but not so amazingly so, when used after injury such as hours later or the next day, but still good. Icing and/or warming rubs like Tiger Balm aren't always the best idea. I like RACE instead of RICE. REST. ARNICA. Compression, Elevation.

THis advice is mainly for impact bruising. Arnica works OK for other strains, but your TCM remedies may be more effective. However, it is so convenient and easy to use, not to mention almost scent free, that it can work very well along side any other remedy. Get the brand Boiron in the witch hazel base if you can, grease free and dries almost without a trace.

PS - I don't do that crazy sparring stuff anymore. My shins are much happier these days :-).

Craig

Thanks (the TCM was more from the old thread reserect)

Arnica sounds good, and lazy bum references on how to get some and use it (I'll do some goggling later :) )

edit http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?...tural+first+aid

I think I can track some down. It's only tennis elbow, slight strain, really should just take it a bit easier for a few weeks when training and all will heal (but I like going hard :() :lol: