Sign in to follow this  
wudangquan

Min Zin or Pongyi?

Hi,

Recently I have been seriously thinking again about going back to Myanmar for a couple of years.

I was accepted by the Therevada university in Yangon, and have gone through the beurocratic stuff with their embassy while I was living in Korea and that's still an option for me and can be fed and housed while I study.

The main thing I am interested in is access to a specific meditation master there - the likes of which I haven't found anywhere else.

But there are a couple of other things I'm interested in too.

Does anyone know, have experience with, or can anyone point me towards more resources on:

Min Zin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Min_Zin

or

Pongyi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pongyi_thaing

(I'm not interested much in Maung Gyi's stuff though)

My basic orientation is to work on cultivating life and cultivating essence, so if I can be fed and eat for free and learn some things that I want to learn - I'm game to stay in Myanmar for a few years. I'm also not attached to the word Taoism, much. For me - this is the thing that matters. Cultivating life and essence.

I shied away from Buddhism (although have the upmost respect for it) because I wanted a more integrated practice but the Min Zin/Pongyi stuff looks good.

Getting more formal education seems good.

Having access to the greatest meditation master I've ever met seems good.

Would like to do some more research first, though.

Not exactly an answer to your specific question, but i think that most or all temples accept anyone and that food and housing is also free (and if you just want to stay a couple of days and nights or weeks or whatever, that they ofcourse would welcome some payment for it also, just whatever the guest really wants or can do best, i think. ut also i have heard that they welcome people to them for free also in exchange for what you can teach people there also, for example english, or help in some other way.

do many monestaries actually also have internet nowadays? i am wondering.

because if they do then it would be easy(er) to ask them.

about the acceptance is just 1 temple that i have heard of through people who have been there, but i am assuming the possibility that this is similar with other temples and things also.

it would be good to know what you can offer on forehand though, and just let them know

Edited by froggie

Hi,

I must have been incoherently babbling again . . . :)

What I meant specically is going to work on a degree here:

http://www.itbmu.org.mm/

The university is on grounds of the Tooth relic Pagoda, and i took and passed the entrance exam (anyone who read a wikipedia article would have) as well as the interview with the Consul general or ambassador or whatever for Myanmar in South Korea a couple of years ago.

So that's no problem. I can attend, and live for free and be fed (not for free - I'm kind of of the opinion that you have to meditate/study/cultivate well and that only a thief would relax on pindabaht) . . .

I'm just also interested in finding some sources on these other practices - Min Zin and PongYi as well.

Thanks

Jonathan

Sign in to follow this