Yoda

any cool heartburn remedies?

Mrs Yoda has had bad heartburn for several months and is taking prilosec otc which works fine, but I'm wondering if there's anything else less hardcore that she should try for a long term solution.

Mrs Yoda has had bad heartburn for several months and is taking prilosec otc which works fine, but I'm wondering if there's anything else less hardcore that she should try for a long term solution.

5910[/snapback]

JUST PUT HER ON A BROWN RICE N BEANS DIET, NO AMMERICAN DIET, NO COCACOLA, NO MCDONNALD.

CHEW A MOUTHFUL O BOILED BROWN RICE TILL IT LIQUUIFIES IN HER MOUTH, ALSO GIVE UP AMMERICAN COFFEE N DRINK ITTALIAN ESPRESSO ONLY OR JUST GIVE UP COFFEE. ALSO CAROT JUICE. A SHORT CAROT JUICE FAST WOULD HEAL IT.

RJ

JUST PUT HER ON A BROWN RICE N BEANS DIET, NO AMMERICAN DIET, NO COCACOLA, NO MCDONNALD.

CHEW A MOUTHFUL O BOILED BROWN RICE TILL IT LIQUUIFIES IN HER MOUTH, ALSO GIVE UP AMMERICAN COFFEE N DRINK ITTALIAN  ESPRESSO ONLY OR JUST GIVE UP COFFEE. ALSO CAROT JUICE. A SHORT CAROT JUICE FAST WOULD HEAL IT.

RJ

5922[/snapback]

Apart from that I would eat millet gruel with some steamed vegetables.

Interesting that carbs come up. Mrs Yoda has had good luck with a low carb diet and is on it now. But then again, if it's causing problems maybe she needs to switch gears.

Ron, you've switched from a low carb to a high carb diet when you stepped up your running... how have you liked it?

When I lived in Jamaica, I ate brown rice, beans, with thyme on them as the staple and I enjoyed it. Cheap too. I've been doing fairly low carb myself, but all the running books advocate high carb. Also, all the stud runners are high carb. I can't deal with refined flour and sugar, but maybe we'll check out the more whole grain approach.

-Yoda

Interesting that carbs come up.  Mrs Yoda has had good luck with a low carb diet and is on it now.  But then again, if it's causing problems maybe she needs to switch gears.

Ron, you've switched from a low carb to a high carb diet when you stepped up your running... how have you liked it?

When I lived in Jamaica, I ate brown rice, beans, with thyme on them as the staple and I enjoyed it.  Cheap too.  I've been doing fairly low carb myself, but all the running books advocate high carb.  Also, all the stud runners are high carb.  I can't deal with refined flour and sugar, but maybe we'll check out the more whole grain approach.

-Yoda

5929[/snapback]

ME BE AGGAINST NO CARB HI PROTTEIN DIETS, THEY FUK UP YER KIDNEYS IN DA LONG RUN AMMONG OTHER THANGS.

SURE PROTTEINS BE IMPORTANT TO BUILD LEAN MASS BUT REMMEMBER, MUSCLE *FUEL* CUMS FROM GLYCCOGEN WHICH CUMS FROM CARBS. SO IN ORDER TO RUN LONG DISTENCES ONE SNEED TO DO CARBO-LOADIN WHICH BE, EAT UP TO 70-80% BY FOOD VOLUME IN CARBS.

THAT MEAN GOOD CARBS, NOT SUGAR BUT WHOLE GRAINS, GOOD ITTALIAN PASTA LIKE BARRILLA OR DECHECKO, GOOD WHOLE BREAZD ETC.

ALSO, CARBS MEKE YA HAPIER. SEE HOW YA FEEL AFTER A GOOD BOWL O ITTALIAN SPAGHETI AS OPITSITE TO HOW YA FEEL AFTER A STEAK.

WHO GIVE A SHIT ABOUT A LITL TUMMY, AAS LONG AS DA SALAMI BE LONG N FAT.

RJ

Here is an easy remedy I have used for years for nausea and indegestion. It may or may not work for heartburn, but is worth a try. I used to give it to my mother when she had nausea from cancer treatments, and it worked when all the high-tech pills failed.

Get some pure peppermint tea. Brew the tea in a cup with a saucer over the top until it is cool enough to stop steaming. The oils in the peppermint you are looking for are volitile, and will escape with the steam. When it is cool, add sugar (the sugar will bring out the mint flavor). That's it! If it doesn't work, at least you will have a tasty cup of peppermint tea.

I've been on Prilosec for a year now. Earlier I tried to get off. I drank a lot of Kefir plain Yogurt(lots of calcium an acid neutralizer) and took licorice capsule a few times a day. It slowed it down for a few days, then the old acid gnaw started coming back.

So it didn't really work for me this time.

Peace

Michael

Prilosec works wonders, but she doesn't want to be on it if she doesn't have to. Her dad had a similar situation and he cured himself by taking some mixture of powdered kelp, wheat grass, and barley? rice? If changing her diet doesn't do the trick, she'll try it.

-Yoda

heartburn update... this is funny... so Mrs Yoda aka Randi (along with the rest of us) read the China Study and became vegans to hopefully deal with her heartburn shortly after the above post. The results were 100% successful... really bad heartburn gone within a matter of weeks. We were 95% vegan for about a year and slowly went back to our normal diet... and... slowly... really nasty heartburn has returned and she's parked on prilosec again after trying ac vinegar, ginger, etc, etc. So after the holidays, we will likely go back on the wagon. She and my daughter aren't really fans of the vegan diet from a taste perspective, but my son and I are fine either way.

I will be able to give some suggestions and advice on using the Taoism Medic FU and treatments. You can PM me if you need any advice.

Cal - Mag at bedtime. Great in camomile tea, for a heartburn free sleep.

A good green powder, daily.

Slippery elm tablets, as and when needed.

Chia seeds eaten as they come absorb acid, and as a gel, make a nice soothing mucilage for the gut.

Aloe vera.

Fennel seeds chewed after meals.

Drop or two of pure peppermint oil on the tongue.

Eat more slowly!

aloe vera juice

herbal colon cleansers

Hawthorne leaf tea

Also clean out your Heart Chakra, Heart Meridian & Pericardium.

And try fasting 1 day a week (the day of the week you where born) from sunrise til sunset no food or drink.

peace

Santi

The reason the vegan diet seems to help with acid reflux is because it's so low in dense protein.. protein and starch each require a different pH environment in order to digest properly, so they shouldn't be eaten at the same time. (That doesn't mean they can't be eaten at the same meal, though.. I'll get to that in a minute.)

Lowering the protein avoids the problem by default, but many people need more protein, and there's a better way to address the problem -

Sequential eating, discovered by Dr. Stanley Bass, takes advantage of the way that the stomach layers foods. The usual food combining rules can be too restrictive, but his method makes it a whole lot easier.

He found that the quick-digesting foods like starches and fruits wouldn't leave the stomach in the proper time, but would be held up if slower digesting foods like protein were there at the same time. This would cause the quicker digesting foods to decompose and cause indigestion.

But if the foods are eaten in a proper sequence, with the most watery foods first, then each food is layered in the stomach in a certain way where the proper enzymes needed to digest each particular type of food are working on each food simultaneously.

If you just ate a mouthful with all the different foods in the same mouthful, they would all be mixed together and the proper layering wouldn't happen. Sequential eating means eating the most watery foods first, like salads first, followed by vegetables which are somewhat less watery, with the heavier protein foods last.

Foods like soups that contain a mixture of different types of foods can be considered more watery if they contain less than 20% dense protein.

Then there's another important issue..

Too little stomach acid.

In most cases of heartburn, the person actually has too little stomach acid. That causes the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) to malfunction and not close properly, so it allows whatever little bit of HCl that's in the stomach to back up into the esophagus. The esophagus doesn't have mucus membranes designed to handle the acid, so even that small amount burns.

The acid is just in the wrong place, not in the wrong amount. There's not too much of it. This is why antacids make the problem even worse, because they neutralize acid which there's already too little of. Then lower acid causes more indigestion, a vicious cycle.

One approach is to take betaine HCl, and that can help but it's a band aid treatment - a better approach is to change the diet so that it enhances and doesn't inhibit HCl production.

When there's HCl deficiency, you also want to look at possible iodine deficiency.

Usually when people have reflux, it's easy to spot the dietary culprits -

1. grains and sugar inhibit HCl production, so reduce grains greatly especially gluten grains, and eliminate refined sugar

2. Things that can weaken the LES are: sedative drugs, NSAIDs, beta-blockers, coffee, chocolate, peppermint, onions, alcohol.

3. not drinking enough water

4. fluoride, chlorine

Helpful supplements in addition to HCl -

1. DGL - deglycirrhizinated licorice (I *might* have spelled that correctly!).

2. slippery elm and/or marshmallow root (formula called Robert's Formula)

3. Mastic gum, if there's h. pylorii

But when the diet is straightened, out, usually those aren't necessary. If the symptom persists, then you'd look at sympathetic nervous system overload.

Cabbage juice is very soothing to the gut. Combined with carrot, it's really good!

-Karen

I use cayenne tincture with a little water. Also cayenne tea with honey and lemon. Works great! I use the hottest 90k heat units in powder. In tincture 180,000 heat units works great. Great for the cardiovascular system! Cayenne is an anti-inflammatory medicine.

ralis

The reason the vegan diet seems to help with acid reflux is because it's so low in dense protein.. protein and starch each require a different pH environment in order to digest properly, so they shouldn't be eaten at the same time. (That doesn't mean they can't be eaten at the same meal, though.. I'll get to that in a minute.)

Lowering the protein avoids the problem by default, but many people need more protein, and there's a better way to address the problem -

Sequential eating, discovered by Dr. Stanley Bass, takes advantage of the way that the stomach layers foods. The usual food combining rules can be too restrictive, but his method makes it a whole lot easier.

He found that the quick-digesting foods like starches and fruits wouldn't leave the stomach in the proper time, but would be held up if slower digesting foods like protein were there at the same time. This would cause the quicker digesting foods to decompose and cause indigestion.

But if the foods are eaten in a proper sequence, with the most watery foods first, then each food is layered in the stomach in a certain way where the proper enzymes needed to digest each particular type of food are working on each food simultaneously.

If you just ate a mouthful with all the different foods in the same mouthful, they would all be mixed together and the proper layering wouldn't happen. Sequential eating means eating the most watery foods first, like salads first, followed by vegetables which are somewhat less watery, with the heavier protein foods last.

Foods like soups that contain a mixture of different types of foods can be considered more watery if they contain less than 20% dense protein.

Then there's another important issue..

Too little stomach acid.

In most cases of heartburn, the person actually has too little stomach acid. That causes the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) to malfunction and not close properly, so it allows whatever little bit of HCl that's in the stomach to back up into the esophagus. The esophagus doesn't have mucus membranes designed to handle the acid, so even that small amount burns.

The acid is just in the wrong place, not in the wrong amount. There's not too much of it. This is why antacids make the problem even worse, because they neutralize acid which there's already too little of. Then lower acid causes more indigestion, a vicious cycle.

One approach is to take betaine HCl, and that can help but it's a band aid treatment - a better approach is to change the diet so that it enhances and doesn't inhibit HCl production.

When there's HCl deficiency, you also want to look at possible iodine deficiency.

Usually when people have reflux, it's easy to spot the dietary culprits -

1. grains and sugar inhibit HCl production, so reduce grains greatly especially gluten grains, and eliminate refined sugar

2. Things that can weaken the LES are: sedative drugs, NSAIDs, beta-blockers, coffee, chocolate, peppermint, onions, alcohol.

3. not drinking enough water

4. fluoride, chlorine

Helpful supplements in addition to HCl -

1. DGL - deglycirrhizinated licorice (I *might* have spelled that correctly!).

2. slippery elm and/or marshmallow root (formula called Robert's Formula)

3. Mastic gum, if there's h. pylorii

But when the diet is straightened, out, usually those aren't necessary. If the symptom persists, then you'd look at sympathetic nervous system overload.

Cabbage juice is very soothing to the gut. Combined with carrot, it's really good!

-Karen

What she said :)

I have seen Robert's Formula help with many digestive problems. I have become fond of another formula called Blue Heron. It is available from Integrative Therapeutics corp.

For temp indigestion I like pill curing formula. Here in the West I like Golden Flower's formulation called "Ease Digestion." This a really good formula.

In the section on food intake, it said that the digestive juices excreted by the stomach when you eat meat - and the digestive juices excreted by the stomach when you eat starches - cancel each other out effectively neutralizing their digestive abilities - so nothing is digested properly and the food sits like sludge in the gut, and heartburn is one of the results.

This could be wrong because it has been a long time since I read it, doesn't the Christian bible say something like "Thou shall eat thy meat at night and thy bread in the morning."

Hi ralis,

Cayenne can be great for certain people and certain conditions, but should be used carefully.. in those with deficient conditions, hot herbs can disperse energy from the vital interior and weaken them, even if symptoms seem to be improved.

Not all inflammation can be treated the same way. Sometimes it's actually a healthy response to a sclerotic process, or that the body needs to burn up toxins.. so you don't always want to reduce the heat. If it's a simple imbalance from improper diet, then it's best to correct the diet rather than use herbs to try to fix things. Depends on the situation.

"It's a therapeutic error to give an herb to do a job that a nutrient is supposed to do." - wise words from Paul Bergner, AHG herbalist

-Karen

Hi Ya Mu,

I like Golden Flower formulas too, and the Ease Digestion formula is nice.

This could be wrong because it has been a long time since I read it, doesn't the Christian bible say something like "Thou shall eat thy meat at night and thy bread in the morning."

I think it's from the Old Testament, and I think it has more esoteric significance - bread is manna, the etheric body; and meat is more astral, so there may be something there about those two forces and how they were evolving in terms of human consciousness. In other words, the reference to food may be about the cosmic and earth forces as they "feed" the individual.

Would be nice if we could do all our nutrition with forces of consciousness :).

-Karen

Hi Yoda,

I kind of browsed over what everyone else said. In Classical Five Element Theory Chinese Medicine it would point to to an overactive Earth Element. The Earth Element relates to the spleen and stomach, it's flavor is sweet. Is there a preference for sweets or and aversion to them? There are usually other symptoms that are also displayed with such an disorder. What's the diet like? Also are there notable times of the day where energy seems to be lacking, say in the A.M.?

low energy around 4pm, but not bad. Checked out the Bible reference Ex 16:8 he gives you meat to eat in the evening and all the bread you want in the morning,

Heartburn remedies that have worked for me:
A large glass of water, followed by another in half an hour if the first didn't work. This addresses dehydration, so it often works for headaches and joint pain too.
Activated charcoal. Works great for once and awhile, but wouldn't want to take it all the time as it probably prevents absorption of some things you need.

I'm a protein type, but I find that I tend to get heartburn if I neglect accompanying veggies... Doesn't seem to matter what order I eat in.

A friend with serious indigestion swears by Life Extension Foundation's product Natural Esophaguard. You take it daily for two weeks and then you can stop for awhile. For some people the heartburn just stays gone. It's made from citrus oil, so it's fairly harmless compared to some other things out there. Don't know if it's available elsewhere.
http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/It...sophaGuard.html

Also there's a wonderful Ayurvedic digestive product called Chy-wan-prash. It's like an herbal jam that you can put on bread or just eat by the spoonful. I like the version made by Vadik Herbs (has raw honey and no sugar) Fresh amla berries (major vitamin C) and thirty odd herbs including clove, cinnamon, ginger. Has ghee in it, so not vegan. It's billed as an herbal rejuvenator and antioxidant. This is definitely the tastiest indigestion remedy I know.

Curious what you find that works!

So she tried the vegan thing for 2 weeks but no luck this time around. Not sure if she'll keep it up or not.

tried the d-lemonene/orange peel stuff. Some luck there. Seems to work like vinegar does. I'll run all the above ideas by her but it's likely Dr. time by her figuring. Not sure if they have anything better than drugs or surgery, though.

I find Melissengeist a tincture of lemon balm to be immediately effective. My wife gets a Waleda brand version of this from Austria. Klosterfrau is a brand in German stores, but there may be others of locally made tinctures.

Bill