Sign in to follow this  
Yuen Biao

Taijiquan standing postures for meditation?

Does anyone know where I could find information on these? I've looked for photos and so forth on the Internet but couldn't find anything. :unsure:

Well I've read that you can hold "any" of the Tai Chi posture for certain effect. I don't and the book I remember telling you the effects of the various postures are Erle Montagues. Perhaps the info is still good, I was told "don't beleive ANYTHING Erle said" by a TTB so I'm not sure now :huh:

Would a person do themselves any damage holding a posture for 5 min or so to see if they can feel any effects?

Edit: Yeah it's internal gung fu volume 2 by Erle Montaigue. I think it sounds like good info...

Edited by Mal

One of the most important skills we try to develop in Taiji is song. There's no better way to do this than to use each Taiji posture as a standing meditation. Some of the stances make it tough to hold the postures (xu bu and pu bu) for very long but over time you can build up to a substantial amount of time with the majority of postures. I will periodically take my class through one or two sections of the form, pausing in each posture for a minute or two. Other times, we'll hold a few postures for longer. I encourage students to practice this at home. I think it's a very powerful training method.

One of the most important skills we try to develop in Taiji is song. There's no better way to do this than to use each Taiji posture as a standing meditation.

This is sound advice. There is no end this way. Universal Post is just the beginning. I have it happen often where I am doing standing posture in taiji form and by relaxing into song, seeking wuji in the posture, gravity will begin to pull me in the direction of the next posture, a natural flow based on internal energy potential instead of externally driven muscular force.

Edited by Spectrum

Sign in to follow this