林愛偉

What is the Most Common Problem...

What is the Most Common Problem on the Minds of Cultivators these days?

A question I ask for all you cultivators of the way out here on this forum.

What concerns you in your cultivation, which is basically your daily lives?

What is most prevalent in your minds throughout the day? What do you all contemplate

in regards to your daily life conditions, situations that arise, relationships, family, work,

ideas in cultivation?

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

The most common problem? Overstimulation of the mind. So much stimulus pulling us this way and that.

What is most prevalent in your minds throughout the day? What do you all contemplate

in regards to your daily life conditions, situations that arise, relationships, family, work,

ideas in cultivation?

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

The most common problem? Overstimulation of the mind. So much stimulus pulling us this way and that.

THen the cure to overstimulation is not in its opposite, but in the recognizing of the habit of being overstimulated. Once the mirror shines upon the root cause, change may manifest.

ideas in cultivation?

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

I'm filled with self-disgust because of my dependence on society for everything.

I want to take off 5 years to meditate and I am most worried about the current state of world politics it really feels so unstable. I'm most concerned about survival. My dreams haunt me, every night almost. Every night I see those I grew up with and love dieing in war, complete collapse of society as we know it. To me they are more than just dreams, perhaps that is over the top and wildly irrational.

I spend a lot of time regretting not working harder as a child, I find myself wishing I knew what I do now, back when I was a child. I would have worked much harder, and I could have retired by now somewhere 100 miles away from any living person somewhere in rural Montana, with enough of everything to last the rest of my life or at least be self sufficient ...

I feel like the ground isn't firm, this system I'm tied to is collapsing,

I'm hoping that new leaders prove worthy and undo the damage of the past 8 years.

I guess more than anything I am worried about death and rebirth into this world again. I'm worried this world might not hold together long enough for me to get out.

Edited by mwight

The most common problem for me personally is thinking mostly of my cultivation and daily life, rather than doing good things in this world. If I were to look back today from my deathbed, what can I say that I've done? I haven't donated much of anything to anyone, haven't helped others (beyond the normal bumming friends some money and assisting family members with various tasks), etc. When I meet new people, I don't show them how to be happy...I tend to leave others alone because I am just not a really social person.

This is all changing, so that's why I finally notice it. So that's something I've seen a need to work on for myself.

How does one "wake up" those around him/her? Should one even attempt to do so? People's minds seem so closed. I don't pretend to be fully "awakened" myself, but I feel like I can perceive a level of "reality" that others can not. Maybe I am just delusional haha!

Namo Amitabha!

I'm filled with self-disgust because of my dependence on society for everything.

I want to take off 5 years to meditate and I am most worried about the current state of world politics it really feels so unstable. I'm most concerned about survival. My dreams haunt me, every night almost. Every night I see those I grew up with and love dieing in war, complete collapse of society as we know it. To me they are more than just dreams, perhaps that is over the top and wildly irrational.

I spend a lot of time regretting not working harder as a child, I find myself wishing I knew what I do now, back when I was a child. I would have worked much harder, and I could have retired by now somewhere 100 miles away from any living person somewhere in rural Montana, with enough of everything to last the rest of my life or at least be self sufficient ...

I feel like the ground isn't firm, this system I'm tied to is collapsing,

I'm hoping that new leaders prove worthy and undo the damage of the past 8 years.

Amitabha!

Indeed a a heavy burden. No matter how we want politics to change, they will change by the hands of those in it. When a majority change, then politics will change. Until then, everyone is looking for certification of their hopes. Change the image of the world in your mind, and slowly empower yourself with thoughts of being the function of people's hopes. Live wholesomely, and speak clearly, with patience. Look with calm eyes and imagine what those calm eyes are like. Wear the peaceful mask until it is no longer a mask, but your original face.

What we did as a child in this life indeed become our life as we age. Sift through the thoughts we held from childhood till now, and find out which ones still have a function.

Our ground is as solid as our mind. When the ground disappears, we will walk on air. If our minds are light enough indeedy! When our world we perceive holds to it obstacles of heavy burden, treat them as guests in a hotel. But do not hold onto those guests. Let them go and feel no need to make them return. Cultivation it is indeed. An honorable task.

Peace.

The most common problem for me personally is thinking mostly of my cultivation and daily life, rather than doing good things in this world. If I were to look back today from my deathbed, what can I say that I've done? I haven't donated much of anything to anyone, haven't helped others (beyond the normal bumming friends some money and assisting family members with various tasks), etc. When I meet new people, I don't show them how to be happy...I tend to leave others alone because I am just not a really social person.

This is all changing, so that's why I finally notice it. So that's something I've seen a need to work on for myself.

Peace and Blessings!

How does one "wake up" those around him/her? Should one even attempt to do so? People's minds seem so closed. I don't pretend to be fully "awakened" myself, but I feel like I can perceive a level of "reality" that others can not. Maybe I am just delusional haha!

Namo Amitabha!

:D

Be the model of the reality of goodness you perceive. People will come to you naturally. We have to walk with eyes open through the darkness. In the case of having eyes open, the world isn't dark, and yet the burden we hold is in watching the people walk in sleep state; sleep in mind, sleep in emotions, sleep in bed.

When your energy is not concerned with how to, it will be in the right place of being. And when that is so, people will question naturally.

Amitabha!

ideas in cultivation?

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

I worry that I will not find enough motivation to dig out of all the holes I've made, all the foolish mistakes that i'm now paying for (poor health from being lazy, debt from being irresponsible, etc.)... that I'll stay in this same state of constantly having burdens from past bad decisions.

That probably sounds more 'down' than I mean it to be, I'm generally happy with how my life is going and how cultivation is making it more amazing. But even still, I'm having a hard time visualizing a life where I'm not always indebted to someone or some bad decision.

I worry that I will not find enough motivation to dig out of all the holes I've made, all the foolish mistakes that i'm now paying for (poor health from being lazy, debt from being irresponsible, etc.)... that I'll stay in this same state of constantly having burdens from past bad decisions.

That probably sounds more 'down' than I mean it to be, I'm generally happy with how my life is going and how cultivation is making it more amazing. But even still, I'm having a hard time visualizing a life where I'm not always indebted to someone or some bad decision.

Don't visualize a life of no more debt, and no more problems. It doesn't work.

The burden of paying back debt is heavy indeed. For all of us in finances and deeds left unfulfilled.

Happiness isn't the outcome of no more debt to be repaid. Its in the fact that you can pay it back regardless of how long it takes. Responsibility is myriad; in all shapes and forms for all living beings.

Regardless of how burdensome it is, or how light, it is only partial to the whole, and still influences the whole.

No more visualization of a life sought. Conditions to repay debt, and observe decisions can be held on the pedestal of not worrying of never being able to be free from it. Be free from it in mind through not worrying of the act of fulfilling it. It is there regardless. Just perform the function of cleaning it up at your own pace, and do not be frustrate with it being there. There or not, your cultivation is golden when you are neither moved by the outcomes, nor are creating them.

Don't visualize a life of no more debt, and no more problems. It doesn't work.

The burden of paying back debt is heavy indeed. For all of us in finances and deeds left unfulfilled.

Happiness isn't the outcome of no more debt to be repaid. Its in the fact that you can pay it back regardless of how long it takes. Responsibility is myriad; in all shapes and forms for all living beings.

Regardless of how burdensome it is, or how light, it is only partial to the whole, and still influences the whole.

No more visualization of a life sought. Conditions to repay debt, and observe decisions can be held on the pedestal of not worrying of never being able to be free from it. Be free from it in mind through not worrying of the act of fulfilling it. It is there regardless. Just perform the function of cleaning it up at your own pace, and do not be frustrate with it being there. There or not, your cultivation is golden when you are neither moved by the outcomes, nor are creating them.

Lin,

Thank you very much.

-Nate

Be the model of the reality of goodness you perceive. People will come to you naturally. We have to walk with eyes open through the darkness. In the case of having eyes open, the world isn't dark, and yet the burden we hold is in watching the people walk in sleep state; sleep in mind, sleep in emotions, sleep in bed.

When your energy is not concerned with how to, it will be in the right place of being. And when that is so, people will question naturally.

Amitabha!

Yes it's a heavy burden indeed, and I am finding it hard lately not be moved by the ignorance and suffering I see all around me. If I ignore it I feel like I am being irresponsible, or not being compassionate. On the other side of the coin, if I try to address it, I feel like my efforts are in vain. Your reponse above brought to mind one of the quotes you posted about BEING the change you want to see in the world. This might sound totally off the wall, but it made me think of Alex Jones. Pretty amazing what a fearless Texan with a camcorder has achieved. :)

Namo Amitabha!

ideas in cultivation?

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Thank you lin.

*bow*

replies with heart.

Not intending this to be complaints or confessions, lol

But will try to say what's confronting me often as of late.

Tend to work with what comes to me to work with?

Have worked diligently and for the most part steadily for a long time,

probably for about 15 years or so in this way now, steady,

without much of a break between things.

Work with different concepts/natures/energies/elements/whatchyamacallit's ;)

Some constantly. Some separately. Others as "needed".

Often with the focus on one(most recent) thing

but am also solidifying what had previously been worked with.

Work in a way of becoming that which is being worked with.

And when learning, in general it takes about 5 months before "starting"

to really learn (to understand even a little) can begin!

What is learned is put into practice, then learned in deeper layers.

Usually one thing leads to another.

Easy to know what to work with, obvious.

Finished with some stuff a few months ago, back in July or August or so.

And that's it.

Not working with "anything" right now.

No direction.

Feels more like a FORCED vacation, hahaha.

Lots that can be called on and played with

but feel like I am just twiddling my thumbs...and i am.

Meditations are fine. Trying to discipline myself with my practices.

But doesn't feel like there is a reason for it if I'm not working with something.

Get depressed If I don't feel I'm learning enough.

Like always being hungry.

Find myself reviewing stuff, going over it and getting bored.

Then Getting short with myself and with those around me.

Like having an itch i can't scratch, lol, shoot.

Get depressed, then angry, lash out for no real reason.

Know better, yes, but still do!

Not much direction from outside this self.

Not any from within.

Just sitting and waiting.

All be it very impatiantly! LOL.

Ok. So it is a complaint and confession of sorts

But if you see me lash out at anyone or start looking for a fight you know why now!

It's not personal ... I'm just bored, lol

mwight ?

I send you a hug kid.

It's hard, heavy stuff.

Hope life feels gentler for you soon.

Am confronted with "Death" stuff daily, it seems.

Even If I'm not working directly with it, folks will come and tell me about

their last 3 boy friends that um,? "Jumped off the planet". Daily.

Keep yourself connected with life, whatever way u find that works.

Pay attention when you see beauty, and things that are "good"?

It doesn't change what you may feel always,

but it reenforces the other side of things sometimes.

For what it's worth if anything!

Good luck, stay well,

Shon

Once the mirror shines upon the root cause, change may manifest.

What is this "mirror" you speak of? Is it the same thing as awareness, or a metaphor I'm not seeing.

What is this "mirror" you speak of? Is it the same thing as awareness, or a metaphor I'm not seeing.

The mind. A metaphor. The senses used to look out... to bring them back in to shine that light on the root

causes of things one perceives as their own experience of life.

Yes it's a heavy burden indeed, and I am finding it hard lately not be moved by the ignorance and suffering I see all around me. If I ignore it I feel like I am being irresponsible, or not being compassionate. On the other side of the coin, if I try to address it, I feel like my efforts are in vain. Your reponse above brought to mind one of the quotes you posted about BEING the change you want to see in the world. This might sound totally off the wall, but it made me think of Alex Jones. Pretty amazing what a fearless Texan with a camcorder has achieved. :)

Namo Amitabha!

The greatest effort displayed is the effort not forced.

Cultivation leads one to attain a state of no effort to get things done.

That means when the effort to attain wisdom is put to use in cultivation,

that which once seemed difficult is now reduced to the simple act of spreading peanut butter

on a slice of bread. Whether its done with a butter knife, spoon, fork, chopstick or even a finger, it is spread

nonetheless, and not much went into it.

Shining light upon the darkness brings the darkness out more, and makes it scatter to bring itself back.

When the light never fades, there is no more darkness, and thus no more light shining.

Thank you lin.

*bow*

replies with heart.

Not intending this to be complaints or confessions, lol

But will try to say what's confronting me often as of late.

Tend to work with what comes to me to work with?

Have worked diligently and for the most part steadily for a long time,

probably for about 15 years or so in this way now, steady,

without much of a break between things.

Work with different concepts/natures/energies/elements/whatchyamacallit's ;)

Some constantly. Some separately. Others as "needed".

Often with the focus on one(most recent) thing

but am also solidifying what had previously been worked with.

Work in a way of becoming that which is being worked with.

And when learning, in general it takes about 5 months before "starting"

to really learn (to understand even a little) can begin!

What is learned is put into practice, then learned in deeper layers.

Usually one thing leads to another.

Easy to know what to work with, obvious.

Finished with some stuff a few months ago, back in July or August or so.

And that's it.

Not working with "anything" right now.

No direction.

Feels more like a FORCED vacation, hahaha.

Lots that can be called on and played with

but feel like I am just twiddling my thumbs...and i am.

Meditations are fine. Trying to discipline myself with my practices.

But doesn't feel like there is a reason for it if I'm not working with something.

Get depressed If I don't feel I'm learning enough.

Like always being hungry.

Find myself reviewing stuff, going over it and getting bored.

Then Getting short with myself and with those around me.

Like having an itch i can't scratch, lol, shoot.

Get depressed, then angry, lash out for no real reason.

Know better, yes, but still do!

Not much direction from outside this self.

Not any from within.

Just sitting and waiting.

All be it very impatiantly! LOL.

Ok. So it is a complaint and confession of sorts

But if you see me lash out at anyone or start looking for a fight you know why now!

It's not personal ... I'm just bored, lol

mwight ?

I send you a hug kid.

It's hard, heavy stuff.

Hope life feels gentler for you soon.

Am confronted with "Death" stuff daily, it seems.

Even If I'm not working directly with it, folks will come and tell me about

their last 3 boy friends that um,? "Jumped off the planet". Daily.

Keep yourself connected with life, whatever way u find that works.

Pay attention when you see beauty, and things that are "good"?

It doesn't change what you may feel always,

but it reenforces the other side of things sometimes.

For what it's worth if anything!

Good luck, stay well,

Shon

Looks like patience is a friend of yours :D

Not so much a problem but a challenge or a work in progress -

How to truly know oneself and best relate to one's partner and children.

Also, currently I am struggling with a massive, life altering decision.

I am entertaining the possibility of a cross country move. One which will allow me to do more of what I want to do professionally and also live in a healthier environment. The downside is leaving some family behind and the magnitude and apprehension of a big change like this on myself and my family.

Ah, Amituofo brother!!

The biggest thing on my mind, is trying to get anything done with these damn kids always running around :o

But then, you already knew that. :P Hopefully things can calm down a bit, or I may take off with mwight and go to the other side of his mountain!

Looks like patience is a friend of yours :D

HAHAHA! Yes.

Ahh, Such a fine line between friend and enemy! LOL.

Great! Yes, yes. ok.

Thank you for echoing the voices in my head! ;)

Keep getting to wait. Just wait.

I So HATE WAITING!!! Haha

This line hit hard~

"Cultivation leads one to attain a state of no effort to get things done. "

But I like the effort !

patience is my friend. grumblegrumblegrumble.

Will repeat it till it becomes a song,

without the grumbling!

Think Patience is a very good kung fu partner!

Sweet dreams!

My Problem:

Way too much time on the Tao Bums, not enough time practicing.

I have a funny feeling, I'm not the only one with the problem. :lol:

hahahahaha

HAHAHA! Yes.

Ahh, Such a fine line between friend and enemy! LOL.

Great! Yes, yes. ok.

Thank you for echoing the voices in my head! ;)

Keep getting to wait. Just wait.

I So HATE WAITING!!! Haha

This line hit hard~

"Cultivation leads one to attain a state of no effort to get things done. "

But I like the effort !

patience is my friend. grumblegrumblegrumble.

Will repeat it till it becomes a song,

without the grumbling!

Think Patience is a very good kung fu partner!

Sweet dreams!

The non-effort comes when so much effort has been put forth in cultivation. Then, its as easy as pie ^_^

No hate for patience, no like for patience and no voice in the head to say just be patient, one has truly achieved patience... :D

A wonderful and perfect gongfu partner!

Ah, Amituofo brother!!

The biggest thing on my mind, is trying to get anything done with these damn kids always running around :o

But then, you already knew that. :P Hopefully things can calm down a bit, or I may take off with mwight and go to the other side of his mountain!

:)

Amituofo! Application!

Not so much a problem but a challenge or a work in progress -

How to truly know oneself and best relate to one's partner and children.

Also, currently I am struggling with a massive, life altering decision.

I am entertaining the possibility of a cross country move. One which will allow me to do more of what I want to do professionally and also live in a healthier environment. The downside is leaving some family behind and the magnitude and apprehension of a big change like this on myself and my family.

Edited by 林愛偉

What's been on my mind... I watched this video:

My highest excitement is not school... it's peeling more and more layers off of my ego and pursuing enlightenment. If I stop going to college, My dad will say "You're on your own." and kick me out... no place to live.

For me the issue is money, that's why I'm at home and going to school, but it's just not where my heart is at. If I find a means to generate enough income to live reasonable comfortably on my own, I'm outta here. Only just now typing this have I asked myself the question, "Do I feel like I can take care of myself?" followed by a simple "Yes."... just a few moments ago!

Who knows, maybe my new vibration will manifest something for me soon... and just as I typed that last sentence, I felt tingles + peace on the top of my head!

Something is coming! ^_^

watching my partener suffer daily with a disease that has stripped her slowly of all independence.

wakeing every morning to continue to fight a losing battle.

Tonight she told me love wasn't enough for how she feels towards me.

Tommorrow I will sit with her again amongst the storm

Till the last vistage of self has blown away.

And What about you Lin?

hahahahaha

The non-effort comes when so much effort has been put forth in cultivation. Then, its as easy as pie ^_^

No hate for patience, no like for patience and no voice in the head to say just be patient, one has truly achieved patience... :D

A wonderful and perfect gongfu partner!

No, no hate, no like , no voice, lol,

... just a love for the drama of words ;)

Thank you Lin,

much to practice, much to live.

"I" could ask for no better, when it comes to gongfu partners.

Wish you all a peaceful day

shon

To be honest that's entirely how I feel.

I try my best to not feel superior than others but I cannot help but feel that way in the presence of those I know are ignorant about meditation and 'internal' arts.

Unfortunately I think I may appear aloof or arrogant as a result?

watching my partener suffer daily with a disease that has stripped her slowly of all independence.

wakeing every morning to continue to fight a losing battle.

Tonight she told me love wasn't enough for how she feels towards me.

Tommorrow I will sit with her again amongst the storm

Till the last vistage of self has blown away.

_/\_