The Genuine Article

Taoism and Buddhism Study Guide

i was wondering if someone could list

everything as far as taoism goes and buddhism goes

AHHHHH!

That's a big list?!?

Looking for a side by side comparison to see the similarities/differences?

What is it you want a list of?

:huh:

Good luck Genuine Art!

Shon

not so much the differences and similarities. but for example is it necessary to know the true meaning of the tajitsu.

OK

heres what i have so far

Taoism

the history of taoism

the yin and the yang

tao te ching

lao tzu

Buddhism

the history of buddhism

the mahayana sutras(thanks to lin)

buddhist symbols

what am i missing exactly

Taoism

tao te ching

lao tzu

Same thing I believe.

Read the "Dhamapada" and the "Tao of Pooh" (my personal suggestion, some of the more religious or alchemicically minded folk may not suggest it. It is an interesting and wonderfully written take on philosophical and practical Taoism and Winnie the Pooh. It does leave out some things). Also, "Buddhism- A way of life and thought" by Nancy Wilson Ross is a good survey.

In another thread you asked about Buddhism and Daoism as a way of life.

If you are interested in studying either religion from an experiential perspective here is a detailed study program that will occupy you for years:

Sit comfortably in a quiet room where you will not be disturbed for about 30 minutes once or twice a day.

Pay attention to your natural rhythm of breathing.

Allow your thoughts to come and go as they will.

Do not get too attached to the thoughts.

Return to the breath whenever you get distracted.

That's the Masters' program.

It is all you need to understand everything that is important about Buddhism or Daoism.

This is how the Buddha developed the Way.

Enjoy and good luck!

:)

PS - I'm not joking!

For the Taoist way of life and practices you might want to check out Taoist Meditation, translated by Thomas Cleary. There is a chapter in it called Treatise on Sitting Forgetting. Sitting Forgetting is more of a culminating practice after the fundamental transformational work has been done, and a preliminary practice, before it is done.

You can get an idea of the fundamental practice, from this quote from the book:

Taoist Master Shouyang said:

Congeal the spirit on the ground of the gateway of life,

aware but not fixated, conscious of it at first, then afterward forgetting it.

Empty the mind and solidify the spirit, not sticking to physical form,

yet not falling into empty oblivion.

With open awareness undimmed,

consciously nurture silent shining.

As long as you sense your breath is gentle, and feel empty and clear,

this is the correct practice of solidifying the spirit and attaining transformation.

Edited by Tao99

In another thread you asked about Buddhism and Daoism as a way of life.

If you are interested in studying either religion from an experiential perspective here is a detailed study program that will occupy you for years:

Sit comfortably in a quiet room where you will not be disturbed for about 30 minutes once or twice a day.

Pay attention to your natural rhythm of breathing.

Allow your thoughts to come and go as they will.

Do not get too attached to the thoughts.

Return to the breath whenever you get distracted.

That's the Masters' program.

It is all you need to understand everything that is important about Buddhism or Daoism.

This is how the Buddha developed the Way.

Enjoy and good luck!

:)

PS - I'm not joking!

Hm, interesting.

Are you supposed to let thoughts flow like this, or are you supposed to try and empty yourself? If thoughts come, should you let them flow and see where they lead (while still maintaining calm), or should you be trying to stay as empty as possible?

Here's a particular and partial list for Buddhism as I'm learning it (not because I'm holding back, but because its all I know):

The Four Noble Truths

The Noble Eightfold Path

The Twelve Links of Interdependent Origination

The Four Thoughts that Turn the Mind to Practice

The Altruistic Wish for Enlightenment and the Bodhisattva Vow

The Six Paramitas

Lojong Mind Training

The Four Buddhist Seals

Buddha's Three Turnings of the Wheel of Dharma

Ground Path and Fruition of the different schools (Hinayana, Mahayana, Vajrayana)

All the usual suspects like karma, merit, interdependence, emptiness, compassion and wisdom etc. are included here.

Edited by rex

not so much the differences and similarities. but for example is it necessary to know the true meaning of the tajitsu.

OK

heres what i have so far

Taoism

the history of taoism

the yin and the yang

tao te ching

lao tzu

Buddhism

the history of buddhism

buddhist symbols

Your search is a noble one TGA. Getting things into perspective is important. But once the rationale has explored every prudent possibility the only thing left to do is to act.

You will never know Tao by looking at it like it is a model ship in a glass bottle. Like your question about whether it is necessary to know the true meaning of the 太極圖, Taijitu ... to truly know it you must become it.

You are standing on the shore's edge skipping stones across the surface ... doing this will only lead to superficial intellectual knowledge. Only when you dive to the depths and feel the ebb and flow within you will you know Tao.

To this end I recommend you begin learning Taijiquan at your soonest convenience.

Hm, interesting.

Are you supposed to let thoughts flow like this, or are you supposed to try and empty yourself? If thoughts come, should you let them flow and see where they lead (while still maintaining calm), or should you be trying to stay as empty as possible?

Don't try and control or empty the thoughts. Don't become attached to them (ie following them to see where they lead). Just pay attention. Be in the present moment with the breath. When you realize that you are caught up in a train of thoughts, simply come back to the present moment and the breath. Don't make an effort to stay empty, it will come along naturally as you become more accustomed to being aware and in the present.

Genuine Article,

There are different techniques. Sitting and forgetting is more a description of the purpose than of the method. It means to see through the illusion and simply be what we are. I'm just outlining a very simple and basic technique for meditation practice which is the heart and sould of Buddhism and Daoism and which is much more valuable than reading all the books ever written, IMNSHO.

There are different techniques. Sitting and forgetting is more a description of the purpose than of the method. It means to see through the illusion and simply be what we are. I'm just outlining a very simple and basic technique for meditation practice which is the heart and sould of Buddhism and Daoism and which is much more valuable than reading all the books ever written, IMNSHO.
I think both Daoism and Buddhism say that there is a danger in sitting and forgetting in that it is possible to rest in a peaceful but dull state mistaking it for realisation. This can lead to rebirth as a ghost immortal in Daoism and as an animal in Buddhism. Edited by rex

OK

heres what i have so far

Taoism

the history of taoism

the yin and the yang

tao te ching

lao tzu

Buddhism

the history of buddhism

buddhist symbols

You need Theravadan Sutras as well, because it is all Buddhism too!

For Daoism you will need more than Laozi and Chuangzi.

Its good to touch the surface. As for Buddhism, there is too much involved where not all of the methods are present in Sutras here in this world. There is much that isnt given. For Daoism, its pretty much there, because there isn't much to it in terms of body cultivation, mind purification and transformation for spiritual powers. There is of course the hiding the truth of the practices to make money, which will make it difficult to get everything.

But its good to touch the surface! ^_^ hehe

Great work you are doing !!! Thumbs up!

Peace,

Lin