Sign in to follow this  
The Genuine Article

Confucianism,Taoism,Buddhism

i have a question how is it that confucianism, buddhism, and taoism relate....i was reading a book where it states that chinese society believe all religions to be relative of one another so could someone share with me how each coincides with the other

Confucianism emphasises society, Buddhism emphasises intellect, and Taoism emphasises nature. Being only human we all have aspects of each.

An old Chinese saying:

Confucianism is my cloak,

Buddhism is my cane,

Taoism is my sandal.

This can be seen as Confucianism being the way one handles external/social life. Buddhism is one's emotional support, and Taoism is the basic principle through which one journeys life.

Confucianism lays the ethical and moral foundation of personal, family and societies' life. It emphasizes the wordly life and order with no approach towards the afterlife.

Buddhism is seen in China as the way of spiritual salvation and liberation of the earthly life in suffering. It emphasizes the efforts towards the afterlife.

Daoism is combining both, living a harmonious earthly life in accordance with nature and also pushing forward towards an afterlife, however it might be according to the individual view.

A more humorous picture to get on it is the famous painting of the three "Vinegar Tasters", Buddha, Confucius and Laozi.

Confucius makes a sour face, Buddha a bitter one, and only Laozi is smiling. That is pretty much displaying the "Three teachings" of China and how it is seen by the Chinese people.

Confucian thinking is based on the opinion that the society is in disorder if you don't push it into an order by rules to obey.

Buddhism has the foundational theory that life is suffering.

Daoism only takes it as it is and follows the way of nature.

laotzu4.jpg

Sign in to follow this