Patrick Brown

Experiencing nothing while meditating!

As some of you already know I don't normally do meditation although I do sometimes do 15 / 20 minutes before I go to sleep if I'm stressed. Well the other day I was doing a bit of meditation and as I lay there I could hear the constant wine of my brain (which I've mentioned to you all before) then suddenly there was silence, nothing just voidness! Now this made me flinch slightly and the wine/tone returned so I stilled my mind again and amazingly the wine vanished and there was nothing.

I've tried to understand what happened but I really haven't got a clue. I've also tried to replicate the experience without any luck. The high frequency tone is still with me, must be about six months now, and I've kinda gotten used to it.

While I'm on the subject I also had a rather strange experience a year ago as I started to fall asleep one night. As I was just falling to sleep I 'came-to' with a start, nothing strange there you might say, but, as this happened it felt as if a powerful electric shock was surging through my brain. This serge of electricity lasted a few seconds and was way weird.

Dont want to scare you Patrick but, you mention coming to with a powerful electric shock feeling, i to used to have these for months my whole body would jolt, then suddenly one morning i had a heart attack, i was aged 25, i have never had the shocks since. Get yourself checked out i would say.

Good luck

That background whine in your head is often not just in your head. It can be feedback in the ears that, for some people, is so loud others can hear it in a quiet room. Your brain compares an electrical signal it generates against incoming electrical impulses from the ear. It uses the differential between the two to generate a quick and accurate representation of the sound. It may be that in meditating you have changed your brainwaves enough to silence this oscilator signal.

The inner ear can be damaged by loud noises. High frequency noises cause instant permanent damage while low frequency ones take a few days. If the damage is severe enough it causes tinitis, a permanent ringing in the ears that can become so bad it drives people nuts. If you work around loud machinery wear hearing protection and, whatever you do, turn down the stereo.

Checkups are always a good idea.

You know how the body twitches as it falls asleep? Sometime I'm still conscious when this happens and it feels like a shock (to my body rather than to the brain)

Anyhow silence sounds like success :D well done. Is your sound like this?

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showto...tation&st=0

Please note the shock lasted three or more seconds and really was like a massive electric shock. It's only happened once so I'm not too worried about it. As I've said in the past I've had ton of mystical experiences.

Yes I think the bumble bee that others have experienced is the beginnings of the DMT trip. As you get deeper into meditation you get closer to the sleep state and this can cause DMT to be released in the brain. I actually think DMT is released to awaken the brain from deep sleep although I'm no expert on this subject.

No what I experienced was no sound, sensation or anything which is why I called it voidness. My drug experiences suggest that this is the state experienced before crossing to the bardos/lokas/astrals/dream-states. Of course I wasn't looking to enter the dream spheres but just to find peace.

So to recap, with my limited knowledge, the buzz is the moving into peace (I'm on a constant buzz) and the peace is like the fulcrum between waking conciousness and dream conciousness. So perhaps it's true to say that voidness is a form of controlled sleep although difficult to master. Just for the record I don't think voidness is the end game but simply an aspect of self cultivation.

As for the jolt feeling, that is also quite ordinary.

h

No it was more than a jolt it was like having my brain wired to the mains!

But you right about not polarising so I'm going to imagine myself as a snowflake melting into an ocean which is a drop of rain fall into and ocean, into and ocean into an ocean.

I can't believe it, I'm actually replying to my own post.

h

oh lord, I am not going to post some zen response like 'but who is posting?!'

am I.

I can't believe it, I'm actually replying to my own post.

To add a little seriousness to my answer above:

The "nothing" experience is really not an "experience". I wrestled with this enormously for some years of sitting. The whole thing for me was the unconscious monitoring of my meditation as looking for the extraordinary ( i.e signs of progress, of something real) in my practice.

When I had these wonderful times of no though, nothing, I tried to keep it like sand in my and when I really was in the middle of the desert! It took some time for me to no mind the nothing.

It's all good though

h

Yes that's what was so strange/odd. The voidness was so easy to be with yet my mind got a bit tripped out. As I've said I haven't got back to the voidness but that's OK. I'm not looking for something am I?

Still into my tantic stuff but I'm beginining to go beyond that, might be my age! LOL

No the tantric stuff is a part of my practice so will always be there but it's becoming less important. Something and nothing? Becoming one with the flow? Hmm stupid clever? :lol:

Experiencing the nothingness during meditation and recognizing it has been experienced during meditation is no longer nothingness. If it was nothing, then there would be nothing to experience, no experiencer and no discrimination in the mind of the state whatsoever.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Experiencing the nothingness during meditation and recognizing it has been experienced during meditation is no longer nothingness. If it was nothing, then there would be nothing to experience, no experiencer and no discrimination in the mind of the state whatsoever.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Which brings up the question again as to what exactly s/he was hearing and feeling.

What Hagar said about the nothingness. :)

The high frequency tone is still with me, must be about six months now, and I've kinda gotten used to it.
re: the "high frequency tone", I suggest that you go see a dr of oriental medicine. It's a possibility that it is a disharmony ("tinnitus"). Western medicine knows no remedy for it, but eastern med does. I happen to know because an old friend of mine was going to college of O.M. and his father was an ear, nose, & throat doctor: they talked about this and I heard the low-down afterward. :D

Which brings up the question again as to what exactly s/he was hearing and feeling.

Its still a good state. But investigation of the state while in the state with a discriminating mind is no longer the "state" of nothingness. A good marker, but unwholesome to seek for it.

AMITUOFO! :D

Well said Lin. Nothingness has been experienced a few times by 'my' self, and it usually ends with my mind shouting, "Hey?! What was that?". Entertaining.

While I'm on the subject I also had a rather strange experience a year ago as I started to fall asleep one night. As I was just falling to sleep I 'came-to' with a start, nothing strange there you might say, but, as this happened it felt as if a powerful electric shock was surging through my brain. This serge of electricity lasted a few seconds and was way weird.

I regularly experience energy shifts whilst I am on the way to sleep. I get surges like that occasionally during the day as well as when I'm falling asleep. Usually it happens when my spine is in good alignment, and the body relaxed... These conditions simply allow for greater conductivity of energy. If you were freaked out by it, there is not need to be - just notice the mind's response and carry on.

Yours humbly,

James

I regularly experience energy shifts whilst I am on the way to sleep. I get surges like that occasionally during the day as well as when I'm falling asleep. Usually it happens when my spine is in good alignment, and the body relaxed... These conditions simply allow for greater conductivity of energy. If you were freaked out by it, there is not need to be - just notice the mind's response and carry on.

Not freaked out just weirded out for a min or two.

I agree with the energy movement thing as I've had quite a few experiences with energies within the body. I figure the brain uses a ton of energy so when people meditate they can learn to redirect this energy which of course is what many people on this forum seem to be into. I personally don't consciously redirect energy I just let it flow.

I often notice that when I still my mind that the energy drops straight to my prostate and then seems to climb up my body as it grow in intensity. Now I haven't gone very far with this because of my bad experience with the 'swords-of-fire' back in January although it something that I am interested in.

Like many people here I can have spontaneous orgasms sometimes even at will. I can get aroused and just by flicking a mental switch my body begins to spasm! Now I don't see this as any big deal as many women can have spontaneous orgasms but it's the intensity that interests me. I figure that there is a connection between pleasure and pain and that allowing energies to rise up the body can cause an intense knife like sensation through the prostate. I actually got to the point where each beat of my heart, when my breathing is in harmony, causes thousands of tiny mini prostate orgasms which seem to build.

For those that are interested the sensation is a split second after my heart beat. My breath draws in oxygen and electrons are stripped causing my heart to beat. The rest of the oxygen is carried around the body in the bloodstream. As my heart beats I can feel my lower abdomen beat in sympathy. I then can feel my prostate pulse a split second after each heart beat. The pulse of my prostate becomes a fizzing sensation like a thousand little orgasms riding the pulse wave. I then begin to feel waves within waves as the sensation begins to feel like a constant electric current flowing through my prostate growing in intensity. This is a far as I've gone and I've only done it a few times for short periods because I'm a bit nervous. I suspect that there is an ecstatic state that can be achieved and maintained and is probably what's called samadhi and nirvanic-bliss. Hey no rush just gentle steps.

As some of you already know I don't normally do meditation although I do sometimes do 15 / 20 minutes before I go to sleep if I'm stressed. Well the other day I was doing a bit of meditation and as I lay there I could hear the constant wine of my brain (which I've mentioned to you all before) then suddenly there was silence, nothing just voidness! Now this made me flinch slightly and the wine/tone returned so I stilled my mind again and amazingly the wine vanished and there was nothing.

I've tried to understand what happened but I really haven't got a clue. I've also tried to replicate the experience without any luck. The high frequency tone is still with me, must be about six months now, and I've kinda gotten used to it.

You can try to fallow the sound see where it leads you, you may receive a healing from this. You can also give this sound a vessel a gold round ball and bring it down into your lower tan tian.

Dont want to scare you Patrick but, you mention coming to with a powerful electric shock feeling, i to used to have these for months my whole body would jolt, then suddenly one morning i had a heart attack, i was aged 25, i have never had the shocks since. Get yourself checked out i would say.

Good luck

Well I've had them for 2 decades now (still freaks out my mother) and not had a heart attack, I guess it's just if they don't happen to you often, we're all wired a bit different eh. :lol: But worth getting checked over if it's unusual to the person it happens to.

Interesting, I've been getting the high-frequency tone for the last week or so too. I wonder whatever happened to Pat and his ringing? Cuz I'm curious now...