Sign in to follow this  
wuliheron

Pragmatic Taoism

http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleD...?sku=0345444191

In recent decades anthropologists have unearthed the oldest known version of the Tao Te Ching called the "Bamboo Text." By merely replacing one character that repeats throughout the text with a different character the epistomology of the text is changed from the familiar implicit (ie- mystical) to an explicit one. This trend towards a more explicit epistomology can apparently be clearly seen when looking back through all of the older interpretations. It therefore represents a newly rediscovered type of Taoism I call "Pragmatic Taoism" to distinguish it from the other types made famous by Huston Smith.

Huston Smith first distinguished between four catagories of Taoism he called religious, esoteric, energetic, and philosophical. Religious Taoism is self-explanatory and esoteric Taoists are exclusively interested in Taoist practices. Energetic Taoism has the metaphysical maxim: Change is the only constant. For them everything is made of "pure" energy (whatever that is!) Philosophical Taoism is more a form of mysticism or psychology by western standards.

Pragmatic Taoism is my own interpretation of the "Bamboo Text", which is the only known version of the "Tao Te Ching" to have an explicit epistomology. Still, being Taoism, this epistomology is introspective and focuses on attitude and affect as much as behavior. Chuang Tzu is once said to have declared that Taoism has no metaphysics, and this is certainly a valid interpretation of both philosophical and pragmatic Taoism. In fact, the two are so closely related I wonder exactly what the major distinctions might be.

Any conversation on the subject would be welcome.

Edited by wuliheron

Is this serious? Let me change what it says and I will say that this is right? Thats like saying all you have to do is change Jesus to Satan and you have another good version of the bible.

From the different interpretations of Lao Tze between Master Wang and the scholars, I truly understood the difference between a practitioner and an academic. These scholars studied the written words of Dao, it was a theoretical discussion, it lacked any kind of practical values. Whereas Master Wang study the paths to Dao, it is based on empirical experiences, it had much deeper meaning and value.

http://longmenpai.blogspot.com/search/label/Lao%20Tze

Yes these are not masters but merely simple scholars. They claim it is not they who changed the words of the text, instead, it is just what the anthropologists unearthed. However it is true that ancient Chinese is notoriously difficult to translate.

I would compare their translation to the difference between the Greek Bible and the modern King James version. William Tinsdale was the scholar who gave the modern English language Bible its wonderful earthy language. His work has often been compared to William Shakespeare and his influence on modern English is just as widespread today.

Personally, I don't know if the work of these men is authentic or not, nor does it matter to me. What matters to me is that a new way to appreciate the Tao has become available. Many paths, one mountain.

Edited by wuliheron

By merely replacing one character that repeats throughout the text with a different character the epistomology of the text is changed from the familiar implicit (ie- mystical) to an explicit one.

The Guodian Laozi book A / chapter 2 / the last lines:

moving NOT words are their teaching

all living things arise and NOT appear

striving then NOT serving

to finish then NOT rest heaven to strive NOT rest

correct when NOT is removed

lienshan :rolleyes:

I would suggest that words only have demonstrable meaning according to their function in a given context. In other words, taking snippets from here, there, and everywhere without reference to their context does not clarify the author's intended meaning (if any!)

Dear Wuliheron,

Here's three books that you might like:

http://www.amazon.com/Guodian-Laozi-Procee...5220&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Lao-Tzu-Tao-Te-Ching...5292&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Tao-Its-Mani...5180&sr=1-1

Enjoy.

Peace, gossamer

The Guodian Laozi book A / chapter 2 / the last lines:

moving NOT words are their teaching

all living things arise and NOT appear

striving then NOT serving

to finish then NOT rest heaven to strive NOT rest

correct when NOT is removed

lienshan :rolleyes:

Thank you very much gossamer,

Those are all very interesting looking books. By any chance can you summarize Wang's interpretation of quantum mechanics? I am on a fixed income and have already studied the metaphysical implications of QM extensively.

Sign in to follow this