Mal

Seated Meditation Posture

The thing I loved most about kunlun (K1)is it allowed me to sit for 1 hour and not get uncomfortable, then gave me a really nice stillness meditation for 20 min.

I'm now trying anapana meditation and I like it. But after ~ 40 min I'm noticing my mind is pretty much "my back hurts, my back hurts, my back hurts." I wiggle occasionally to get a few minutes of relief but I'd like to continue this meditation for longer.

So how "still" do people sit when siting? The times I was taught meditation we were told to sit still, but we did not sit for that long.

Is this a "full lotus sit through the pain" vs "Just feel comfortable" dicotomy?

I'm leaning towards more enjoyable practice sessions so I've even moved away from crossed legs to just sitting on a chair (I'm a LONG way from full lotus but I'm practicing stretches everyday, slow progress)

I've tried corps pose too (Reduces my minds "complaints" about my back and shoulder pain)

and I've been noticing that there are a few really relaxed meditation postures out there

eg. post-1090-1225175066_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance for any tips

p.s. Haha was looking for something a bit more "relaxed" but this is attachment # 420

so PM me if that "means" anything to you B)

40 minutes is not that bad, Mal! Most people cant go more than 3 minutes before some complaining bursts out of the stillness.

This last 6 months Ive been doing Xing Shen Zhuang and that has definately increased my comfort in meditation and zhan zhuang. Because of too many practices Ive stopped working on the full lotus and just focus on sitting comfortably.

And Ive also noticed that as Im entering stillness the whole body becomes very still. The only thing that moves is the belly. ...until my mind wanders, then the body becomes uncomfortable aswell. But when Im able to keep my attention in the stomach and on the breathing, and not wander off, then my body is completely still and comfortable too.

I dont think its about "sitting through the pain". I think it is more about being still, and then the pain decreases. The more Im able to be still and relaxed, the less pain I feel.

I use a pillow against lower back and lean against sofa back or wall. The purists can whine about this not being proper posture while I clock in many many hours of comfortable stillness.

I use a pillow against lower back and lean against sofa back or wall. The purists can whine about this not being proper posture while I clock in many many hours of comfortable stillness.

Hahahaha! wonderful! that quote made my day! Im going home to clock in many hours of stillness after work today :lol:

Here's a quote on attaining internal stillness

魂在肝而不从眼漏;

精在肾而不从耳漏;

神在心而不从口漏;

魄在肺而不从鼻漏;

意在脾而不从四肢孔窍漏。

Hun resides in the Liver, not leaking out the eyes;

Jing resides in the Kidneys, not leaking out the ears;

Shen resides in the Heart, not leaking out the mouth;

Po resides in the Lungs, not leaking out the nose;

Yi resides in the Spleen, not leaking out the four limbs and pores.

In Daoist theory, Hun, Jing, Shen, Po, Yi, can be interpreted as five consciousnesses that make up the human being. The Hun governs sight, both internal and external. The Jing, essence, and Zhi, willpower, govern hearing. The Shen, spirit, governs communication. The Po governs scent. And the Yi, translated as mind but literally interpreted as the the sounds and images of the heart, governs the movement.

For example, an internal dialog during mediation means the Shen, Jing, and Yi (Heart, Kidneys, and Spleen) are all in use because you are communicating and listening to mental sounds.

Yi seems to be the most important to tame because it's the central hooligan in riling up all the others and Yi's the first to get excited when one of the others misbehaves. When Yi comes to rest, the others will too. So what's this mean to you? Well in my opinion, don't move! Make a goal, set a timer, and use your best discipline to not move a muscle until you're saved by the bell.

I'm assuming your goal is to tame the mind. To move when the mind desires is not taming and it won't transform you. When Buddha sat under the Bodhi tree he said, though I may die and turn to dust I will not move until I'm enlightened.

That said, I still believe meditation offers many benefits even if decide not practice your will and equanimity through the pain.

You dont half to sit full lotus. No movement though, only breathing movement. If the pain is forcing you to concentrate on it then that's no good either.

The thing I loved most about kunlun (K1)is it allowed me to sit for 1 hour and not get uncomfortable, then gave me a really nice stillness meditation for 20 min.

I'm now trying anapana meditation and I like it. But after ~ 40 min I'm noticing my mind is pretty much "my back hurts, my back hurts, my back hurts." I wiggle occasionally to get a few minutes of relief but I'd like to continue this meditation for longer.

So how "still" do people sit when siting? The times I was taught meditation we were told to sit still, but we did not sit for that long.

Is this a "full lotus sit through the pain" vs "Just feel comfortable" dicotomy?

I'm leaning towards more enjoyable practice sessions so I've even moved away from crossed legs to just sitting on a chair (I'm a LONG way from full lotus but I'm practicing stretches everyday, slow progress)

I've tried corps pose too (Reduces my minds "complaints" about my back and shoulder pain)

and I've been noticing that there are a few really relaxed meditation postures out there

p.s. Haha was looking for something a bit more "relaxed" but this is attachment # 420

The reason that the lotus position is so powerful is that it 'forces' your spine to stay straight and is a very solid position meaning that it's easy to be still.

I believe the goal of the postures are a straight spine while being able to be still without effort... if that makes sense.

hi

in my view

forget about lotus posture.

sit comfortable, loose and straight.

do not move or adjust the body at all.

sit as long as you can sometimes.

other times just enjoy.

all of my serious students are trained to sit dead still till they pass out or vomit. it all depends on your goals. i suggest you stick with anapanasati, it can take you far.

metta

adam

hi...

in Liu Yongyan little book about Yi zhi chan gong (一指禅功 - 刘永言) he writes that the posture can be adapted to what is comfortable. It is the practice of qi-circulation which makes the essence...

remembering that qi follows attention one can have a fine harmonizing...

You MUST sit totally still or we will take a switch and hit you!

Just kidding

This system I teach is called stillness-movement and it is totally not necessary to still the energy movement in the body with the body's corresponding movement. Posture is not considered. We do a sitting in crossed leg position - but if uncomfortable it is OK to stretch out legs or do whatever is needed to remain comfortable. This applies to standing as well. But it is necessary to still the mind.

the correct posture has to do with a range of subtle and more gross aspects of "alignment"

the whole thing boils down to this:

Keep it fresh, open, light, graceful, lively, yet allow for things to unfold without accumulation.

In short:

Before you are able to flip a pancake, you try until you get it. When you get it, you should never become to confident.

h

the correct posture has to do with a range of subtle and more gross aspects of "alignment"

the whole thing boils down to this:

Keep it fresh, open, light, graceful, lively, yet allow for things to unfold without accumulation.

Oh yeah that sounds great. Focused effort without forcing. Mindful intent allowing the posture to come on it's own.

Before you are able to flip a pancake, you try until you get it. When you get it, you should never become to confident.

I love this analogy, and it seems applicable to just about eveything too.

Thanks Hagar

Edited by mat black

Thanks for the replies everyone

You MUST sit totally still or we will take a switch and hit you!

Just kidding

:lol: Thats why had the question. I had been doing kunlun, a moving meditation. So when going back to siting I had my "preconceived" notion of monks sitting dead still for hours. Was this "the" correct way, "a" correct way, or just "another" way.

Of course this image is not of a group of beginners, I love this

In short:

So I have ana aspiration towards

sit comfortable, loose and straight.

do not move or adjust the body at all.

sit as long as you can sometimes.

other times just enjoy.

I need to balance, unfold, practice, evolve :)

Currently trying KAP so it's mostly standing, walking and sitting comfortably, loose and straight.